Sign in to follow this  
tszchun_anson

Mix & Match between SF3D, ASCA, Envtex & Effect Addons

Hi,

I have been using Envtex for cloud textures and other textures like waves and water; ASCA for cloud structures and dynamic sky colours. Now I am trying to figure out how to get SF3D integrated with them.

I aim for SF3D’s full cloud-related functionality, including but not limited to cloud structures & textures, rain shaft etc., without its weather engine. 

I understand that for the issue-free mix and match, I have to customise settings for ASCA, Envtex, SF3D and maybe some other effect add-ons having functions overlapping each other, so that eventually only one add-on is responsible for a particular function. For example, when I desire to use Envtex’s sun and moon, I have to disable those in SF3D.

However, what bother me is that, I am not sure whether some functions are really overlapping. For example, while SF3D offers rain shaft as mentioned in the user manual, should I disable rain effect from Envtex? 

What makes the matter even more complicated is that, there is “integration” option available in Envtex. Believably I have to keep ASCA Integration enabled for dynamic sky colour injection, but Envtex will install cumulus textures into \Prepar3D v4\Texture folder whenever ASCA Integration option is enabled. I have no idea whether the installation of SF3D textures will replace those clouds from Envtex, which is actually my purpose, as mentioned.

Furthermore, it appears that in the first start of SF3D, some core files will be installed. May I know if those files contain any textures that are not listed in the UI? This concerns me because I have to ensure the functions between the add-ons will not overlap with each other after customisation of settings.

I have prepare a list of what to disable in where. I would be very very thankful if somebody could help review it.

Thanks very much. I hope that the mix and match can be done ASAP so that I can enjoy the sim 🙂

Anson

ENVTEX ENABLED
airport
aurora
envmap
grass
milkyway
sky - 24h
rain
snow
inland water
ocean water
tropical water
waves

ENVTEX DISABLED
Cumulus (reason: to use SF3D clouds)
Cirrus (reason: to use SF3D clouds)
Special Effects (reason: to use OldProps Immersion and PrecipitFX)
Sun (reason: to use SF3D sun)
Moon (reason: to use SF3D moon)

REX SF3D DISABLED
all sky options (reason: to use Envtex sky colours)

ASCA ENABLED
Sky Colour (only)

• Upvote 1

You pretty much got it. 👍

When it comes to clouds it is either or with SF and ASCA. You have to chose. If you want SF clouds and structures activate them and turn them off in ASCA.

1 hour ago, tszchun_anson said:

For example, while SF3D offers rain shaft as mentioned in the user manual, should I disable rain effect from Envtex? 

No, you dont have to worry about them. The rain effects from ENVTEX  just replace the build in rain effects. Rain shafts are part of the cloud structur moddels. Also you can disable the sky 24h because ASCA will inject the sky colors dynamically with your settings, or leave it on doesn't matter. ASCA will install your sky textures.

Believably I have to keep ASCA Integration enabled for dynamic sky colour injection, but Envtex will install cumulus textures into \Prepar3D v4\Texture folder whenever ASCA Integration option is enabled.

Keep the integration option ON. You allready disabeld clouds in your ENVTEX settings there for it won't do anything to your clouds. EF will just overwrite any other cloud textures once you installed your theme. You probbably already know that you dont have to run envdir every time you start the sim just EF and Aktivsky. ASCA start automaticly with AS4.

Enjoy your sim Anson.

Edited by Rasterfahnder

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

15 hours ago, tszchun_anson said:

I aim for SF3D’s full cloud-related functionality, including but not limited to cloud structures & textures, rain shaft etc., without its weather engine.

I also think you got figured it out already but the Quote above is the one that worries me...

You know that ASCA has many texture SETS and with Full Dynamics, it will select clouds from ALL texture SETS based on WX.

SF3D also has many texture sets but in your wanted combo, you will not use the full potential of SF3D since it will only display clouds from ONE texture SET only. This does not mean that you will not enjoy your experience because every cloud set is able to create a vast variety of clouds...

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

13 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

EF will just overwrite any other cloud textures once you installed your theme. You probbably already know that you dont have to run envdir every time you start the sim just EF and Aktivsky.

Keep in mind that the OP has not mentioned anything about EF (Environment Force) but only SF3D!!!

Gerald K. - Germany

Thanks for your insight :)

12 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

You know that ASCA has many texture SETS and with Full Dynamics, it will select clouds from ALL texture SETS based on WX.

With the three options "Cirrus", "Cumulus" and "Cloud Structure" disabled in ASCA, I believe the full dynamic theme will exclude clouds for injection, but only the sky colours, which is the only thing left enabled there.

16 minutes ago, GEKtheReaper said:

SF3D also has many texture sets but in your wanted combo, you will not use the full potential of SF3D since it will only display clouds from ONE texture SET only.

May I know why I won't use the full potential of SF3D with current combo? Do you mean I can do something so that it can display more than one texture sets?

Thanks very much 😁

Anson

13 hours ago, Rasterfahnder said:

EF will just overwrite any other cloud textures once you installed your theme.

Thanks a million Rasterfahnder 😀 

I just got SF3D cloud textures and models set up and installed. From visual, the clouds appeared to be SF3D clouds (actually pretty different from the clouds before SF3D). That's why I think what you mentioned is correct.

Have a nice day.

Anson

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tszchun_anson said:

With the three options "Cirrus", "Cumulus" and "Cloud Structure" disabled in ASCA, I believe the full dynamic theme will exclude clouds for injection, but only the sky colours, which is the only thing left enabled there.

Correct! But you disable those because you want to use SF3D instead!

May I know why I won't use the full potential of SF3D with current combo?

Because SF3D's limitation in this particular combo...better ask REX if you want details.

Do you mean I can do something so that it can display more than one texture sets?

Yes, but not in that combo! You would need to add EF (Environment Force) to your equation which would mean dropping ASCA completely....

EDIT: Just for you to understand.

Even if you use only ASCA in it's Dynamic Theme setting, you as a normal user (as myself and a billion other) won't be able to tell: aaaaa, these Cirrus are from ASCA theme 1 and aaaaaa WX changed and the new Cirrus are from theme 2.

Your Sim will basicaly always display some sort Cirrus if the WX tells it to.

So just because in your combo SF3D will inject only clouds from one of it's themes, does not mean that you will loose visuals! It means only that the other x+1GB of REX SF3D textures are never used...

Edited by GEKtheReaper
  • Like 1

Gerald K. - Germany

May I know why I won't use the full potential of SF3D with current combo? 

Just make sure you activate the live cloud texture sync. in SF. That's why you need to start SF before p3d. I switched the clouds in SF every time I was in the mood to do so. But honestly SF generates just a vast amount of different clouds with one set that it is hard to tell them apart.

1 hour ago, GEKtheReaper said:

Keep in mind that the OP has not mentioned anything about EF (Environment Force) but only SF3D!!!

You are right GEKtheReaper. I ment SkyForce (SF). Thanks for the correction.

1 hour ago, GEKtheReaper said:

You would need to add EF (Environment Force) to your equation which would mean dropping ASCA completely

EnvironmentForce and ASCA both work together, I use them both. But that is for an other thread.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg