Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

Will there be speech recognition?

To me, this would be a great feature as it would BOTH let me keep my hands where they are needed (instead of choosing ATC commands/replies) and add a gigantic element of realism and immersion.I've seen a few 3rd party solutions but I haven't really come around to buy any of them yet. I did try the VoxATC demo, which was nice, but I never bought it because I didn't like the fact I was detached from what happend aroound me, AI-wise. The other SR product would be FSCOM but every post or user review I've seen on that products waves big warning flags. The product seems to mix bugs and weird behavior with the same limitations as VoxATC. So, here we are, still pressing ATC buttons. Do we have to wait another four years for SR or will it be in FSX? :-smooch

Guest JoJoDawg

Oh how that would be awesome. I would just love a basic foundation for SR for ATC responses. Heck, I would be happy just to speak what is in the ATC popup screen and ifATC didn't hear it correctly just say the corresponding number and if that didn't work hit the keyboard.

For now, I would be happy if we could undock that window and move it to a second or third or fourth monitor.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest tdragger

Are you talking about the ATC window? You can do that now. ???

It would have to feature extremely good recognition software. I remember IBM's Via Voice software. I never managed to get it to work .... even after two hours of "training" the software to recognize my voice :-boom

>Are you talking about the ATC window? You can do that now.>???Yeah! Really?Doh!:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Andy_CYXU

tried it, doesn't work, only in windows mode... not in full screen unless i did something wrong, but then the second monitor goes full screen and nothing else is visible

>Are you talking about the ATC window? You can do that now.>???When I try that, the window looses transparency and the text disappears completely, making it rather pointless... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest robertsflight

>Are you talking about the ATC window? You can do that now.>???Hello FS Boss:-)Yes and No. If you undock the atc window and drag it onto another monitor that is powered by non 3d accelerated card you will create a slide show in your main view. Panels are OK as they can be moved to any non 3d accelerated window, ATC window however seems to be same kind of "beast" as the main 3d view. Example: I have 4 monitors. 2 are for the outside view and run on AGP GF6800 (3d dx9) (my setup) http://www.geocities.com/fsbobby/The other two are for the panels with older matrox pci cards (non dx9 compliant) I can not move my ATC undocked window to the bottom monitors without losing almost 90% of FPS in the main view because (I think) the ATC window needs to be run on a 3d dx9 accelerated card.Hopefully that will not be the case in FSX since ATC window doesn't need any fancy 3d graphics-:)Thanks for you participation and for listening to us.Robert

Guest tdragger

Yes, there are shortcomings in the FS2004 implementation but it is possible. The ATC window is like any other panel window--just undock in windowed mode, move to the other monitor, and return to full screen. You can then drag/resize it in full screen mode on the 2nd monitor.>> When I try that, the window looses transparency True.>> and the text disappears completelyHmm. That sounds like a driver issue.>> but then the second monitor goes full screen and nothing else is visibleTrue. Same for any other panel window.>> If you undock the atc window and drag it onto another monitor that is powered by non 3d accelerated card you will create a slide show in your main view. Could be, but 3D PCI cards are cheap. You might want to upgrade.>> since ATC window doesn't need any fancy 3d graphicsPerhaps, but it's still rendered by the same system.

Guest robertsflight

>>> If you undock the atc window and drag it onto another>monitor that is powered by non 3d accelerated card you will>create a slide show in your main view. >>Could be, but 3D PCI cards are cheap. You might want to>upgrade.I apologize, but I should have said dx9 not 3d accelerated. Both of my older Matrox pci cards have 3d accel. Currently there are only two Nvidia dx9 based pci cards - FX 5200 and 5500 that come in PCI model. For those of us with an AGP system, older PCI cards make great choice for secondary monitors/panel display.>Perhaps, but it's still rendered by the same system.<http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...ultimonitor.asp"Note that, as in previous versions of Flight Simulator, some windows (e.g., avionics, the kneeboard window, and the GPS) are not rendered in 3D. Using multiple accelerator cards does not improve performance when these windows are displayed. However, the main instrument panel, virtual cockpit, all exterior views, and the ATC window are rendered in 3D, and when displaying these windows or views on secondary displays, performance will be much better than when using a similar configuration in previous versions of Flight Simulator. The improved multiple-monitor support in Flight Simulator 2004 directly uses the secondary 3D device rather than copying the display of the primary device to the second display. "In short by having the ATC window use the same rendering as the GPS, avionics etc. we would be able to move it to another monitor - as it currently stands you can't do that since it creates huge performance loss.Thanks for your response.Robert

Guest tdragger

>I apologize, but I should have said dx9 not 3d accelerated.>Both of my older Matrox pci cards have 3d accel. Currently>there are only two Nvidia dx9 based pci cards - FX 5200 and>5500 that come in PCI model. For those of us with an AGP>system, older PCI cards make great choice for secondary>monitors/panel display.Anything DX7 or greater should be adequate.>In short by having the ATC window use the same rendering as>the GPS, avionics etc. we would be able to move it to another>monitor - as it currently stands you can't do that since it>creates huge performance loss.If we did that I think you'd loose the transparency. Nonetheless performance degradation is something we can look into, though I've never experienced it myself.

Guest robertsflight

>>I apologize, but I should have said dx9 not 3d accelerated.>>Both of my older Matrox pci cards have 3d accel. Currently>>there are only two Nvidia dx9 based pci cards - FX 5200 and>>5500 that come in PCI model. For those of us with an AGP>>system, older PCI cards make great choice for secondary>>monitors/panel display.>>Anything DX7 or greater should be adequate.>>>In short by having the ATC window use the same rendering as>>the GPS, avionics etc. we would be able to move it to>another>>monitor - as it currently stands you can't do that since it>>creates huge performance loss.>>If we did that I think you'd loose the transparency.>Nonetheless performance degradation is something we can look>into, though I've never experienced it myself.Thanks for the explanation, after I wrote I realized that unlike the panels, ATC window is transparent. That is probably the reson why it had to be rendered in 3d. To help your investigation, the degradation only occurs if you move the ATC window to the secondary card/monitor (which affects only people who have older pci cards in addition to AGP and use them for third or fourth display) You wont notice it if you have dual head AGP card and two monitors.Again thank you for letting us participate in this way. Keep up the great work.Robert