Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

How about multi monitor support in full screen?

Guest wingnut2

Yes I believed it. It sounds like the designers of Windows/DX are making your job more complicated than what it should be :) Forgive my ignorance here but I imagined one line of code could do it like such: window.setTitleBar(false)But thats obviously not the case :D

>Theres thousands of Windows app's that play sound in the>background. It can't be rocket science ;)Actually, I think the others had missed the audio part of your post and were commenting on the DirectX FullScreen vs Windowed aspects of the thread :->Well behaved DirectSound apps are supposed to stop playing audio and give up the audio device when they lose focus (at least that's what the docs say :->).As to the undoc'd windows and DirectX, I'm amazed that Steve Lacey (and Todd Laney before him) were able to get these to play somewhat "nice" together in the first place :-> When I originally designed the undoc'd window feature (back when the internal name of the product was FS5W - Flight Sim for Windows, which eventually became FS95) we were still doing solely software rendering, so it was much easier to get that to work :->.Tim

So another FS dev comes out of the wood work :) I guess there are 3 here now?

>>Making DirectX and Windows place nice together>is very, very difficult.Hmm. Ironic? Aren't these both made by the same developer? (Microsoft?) Or do I get to learn something new today?

Microsoft is large enough that the teams might as well be different companies.Having worked for multinationals I can tell you that more often than not one side of a building doesn't know what the other side is doing.I've worked on a project once where we found out that another group in the same city (but belonging to a different department so we had no direct communications) was working on EXACTLY the same thing we were and had been for a year.That's 20 people each in 2 teams (for 40 people) working 12 months on something that could have been done by 30 people in 8 months.The larger a company gets the more bureaucratic it gets and the harder it is to get any meaningful communications working between interested parties. In this case the two groups were initially quite unaware of each others' existence. It was only when we both approached the same 3rd department for their services that someone somewhere noticed that our projects were surprisingly similar and started asking questions about why 2 million dollar projects were doing exactly the same thing...

Guest tdragger

Actually that's not really the case here. The DirectX team is part of the Windows team and so are fully up to speed at what the "other" is doing. The reasons have more to do with what each technology is designed to do. (Isn't it funny how things that people think are "broken" turn out to be the result of careful design? )The primary consumer of DirectX technologies is the gaming industry and, by and large, games have not had much use for windowed mode or multiple displays. I mean, do you really want to be answering email while you're playing a first-person shooter?! Times are changing, though, and more and more people are buying video cards capable of multiple outputs. That's why you see developments like DX10 with GPU virtualization that will enable multiple DX applications to peacefully co-exist.So, despite jwenting's pass off as big company-itis, what you see is just a by product of FS being a bit outside the mainstream (or ahead of it's time, if you prefer) of the gaming world. ;)

>Actually that's not really the case here. The DirectX team is>part of the Windows team and so are fully up to speed at what>the "other" is doing. The reasons have more to do with what>each technology is designed to do. (Isn't it funny how things>that people think are "broken" turn out to be the result of>careful design? )>>The primary consumer of DirectX technologies is the gaming>industry and, by and large, games have not had much use for>windowed mode or multiple displays. I mean, do you really want>to be answering email while you're playing a first-person>shooter?! Times are changing, though, and more and more people>are buying video cards capable of multiple outputs. That's why>you see developments like DX10 with GPU virtualization that>will enable multiple DX applications to peacefully co-exist.>>So, despite jwenting's pass off as big company-itis, what you>see is just a by product of FS being a bit outside the>mainstream (or ahead of it's time, if you prefer) of the>gaming world. ;)[shrugs shoulders] Well then I can't say I learned something new - I always knew FS was ahead of it's time :)