Sign in to follow this  

Sound immersion for FsX

HiI would like to hope that the fs team can improve on the sound engine for fsx. I heard that 5.1 sound was going to be introduced which is great but i would like to get more immersion by the creation of sound atmosphere. For instance at the gate engines off large airport fsim could select up to 8 different waves to call from and at smaller airports it could select from say only 3 but randomly pick what it plays. You could have the sound of cars lorries driving round the airport etc you could also define stuff for landclass so say the coast could have the sound of white horses breaking the shore, anything to make it less muted when the engines are off. yes there will always be the element of what can you hear from inside a 744 but a volume slider could take care of that.i would also like to be able to assign sounds to more aircraft specific events eg could the runway center line lights be coded to the sound engine so when the nosewheel runs over them you hear the thud? Or the sound of wind pressure on the gear without the use of an addon gauge? Maybe this is in the works anyway but i would sure like to have better sound as that is in my opinion a big chunk of the immersion factoralso thanks for making fsX!Cheers keith

Guest davidvoogd

I'd also love to hear environmental sounds, just like those at the Georender airports, but at every airport in the sim.

Would be terribly hard to do convincingly at every airport.The sound effects Richard uses are customised for each airfield he creates. Specific sounds are placed in specific locations by hand and often triggered to specific events as well, and often specific times as well (so you may get wolves howling in the night during winter, and woodpeckers in the trees during summer afternoons).To do that for 20.000+ airfields around the world would be a massive undertaking to say the least.

Guest tdragger

Actually it's not as hard as you think. ;)

Guest christian

And please can you add the capability of letting us add our own sound files to scenery rather than just hardcoded ones (ie at the moment it's impossible to add say a cicada sound to an airstrip - unless you're using 3rd party software).Cheers,Christian

Oh god, do we really need to hear all those cicada's :-lol

Guest JohnEGPF

"i would also like to be able to assign sounds to more aircraft specific events eg could the runway center line lights be coded to the sound engine so when the nosewheel runs over them you hear the thud?"That one would be high on my list as well, The 5.1 sound system will add a LOT to the whole flying experience, should allow for more subtle and realistic sounds, and who knows there maybe more suprises in the audio department in FSX.ALso at cruise alltitude in the passenger jets, It would be great if all you could hear was the wind noise and no engine noise, just like it is in the real flightdeck.The only aircraft that got close to this effect was PIC 767 which seemed to have the engine sounds decrease in volume in relation to the OAT or some other factor, probably the best sounds I have heard in any modelall the bestJohn

Could anyone do a quick brief of "5.1 sound" or direct me somewhere to learn more please?

HiFS9 is plain stereo/mono which means 2 channels of sound left and right5.1 sound is 5 discreet channels so front left & right,center, and rear left & right. The .1 part is the low frequency effects channel or bass channel! So as you can imagine the sound is now coming from all directions!there are many versions of 5.1 sound but for PC games it is mailnly AC3 or dolby digital cheers keith

Holy Cow! here is someone who has not heard of 5.1:)Its a Dolgy Digital protocol/standard that was defined for Home theaters about 10 years ago. Almost all DVD movies that you watch has been encoded in this format.SpeakersLeft, Right, Center, Rear Left (Surround), Rear Right (Surround) and LFE (Low frequency sound for subwoofers) denoted by the .1 = 5.1DTS is a competing format but its out of the picture. DD5.1 (Dolby Digital) is it.Micrsoft X-BOX 360 supports this for gaming.Most of the good AUdio cards for PC's these days support this. Mind you.. would need 5 speakers and a subwoofer to awail of this to the full extent.http://www.5dot1.com/what_is_5_1_.html

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Kand, Manny...Thanks alot for enlighten this sound format/protocol ignorant someone. *:-*

was thinking mostly of the volume of work required to do it convincingly along the quality standards the OP obviously intended...Individual sounds would have to be recorded at say a dozen locations on each of several hundred airfields, then mapped to timed triggers set at handcrafted locations at each of them.No automated script generation here.Just having a sound go off once you get within say 100ft of the terminal building at an airport in class X wouldn't be too hard, but people'd soon complain that they are getting US sounds at an African airport if you'd use a recording of an American bird in a tree somewhere in Kenia :)

only if the correct species is used in each of its habitats. They all sound different after all, wouldn't do to have a Venezuelan cicada chirp in Liberia...

>Kand, Manny...>>Thanks alot for enlighten this sound format/protocol ignorant>someone. *:-* Moggel.Its all right. :)The other day.. I came in here suggesting to tdragger that in FSX they should provide for the ability to move the ATC window to the second monitor. He said..it was already there in FS9. Doh!.I have been whinning about that window every time that stares at my face. all these years..wasted! If only I had known that I could have moved it like any other window.:)Manny

Manny

>only if the correct species is used in each of its habitats.>They all sound different after all, wouldn't do to have a>Venezuelan cicada chirp in Liberia...:)

Manny