Sign in to follow this  
ridgeskimmer

Real World IGC playback

Hi,a friend of mine does some recreational soaring and records his flight as GPS logs in IGC format.We wonder if there is any free or commercial solution to replay these flight logs in a live P3D session, similar to replaying a recorded flight movie.

Many thanks for any advice or help. I know you can do this in google earth etc. But really would like to see these from the pilots eye view and also to be able to load multiple igc files if possible

On 7/20/2019 at 12:09 PM, ridgeskimmer said:

flight as GPS logs in IGC format.We wonder if there is any free or commercial solution to replay these flight logs in a live P3D session

Hello there from 2019: 2022 just brought you a possible solution, albeit for another flight simulator 😉

Since the very recent bug fix release Sky Dolly v0.8.6 now also features an IGC import plugin: the imported flight path can then be replayed in the connected flight simulator. Flight attitude (pitch, bank, heading) is reconstructed (in a basic manner) from the imported flight positions.

Note that also the connection from Sky Dolly to the specific flight simulator is plugin-based - but I just rejoined the flight simulator world myself very recently (1+ year ago or so) and have not yet tried Prepar3D (for which you initially asked): but a plugin (via the SimConnect API) for Prepar3D would technically certainly be possible.

Sky Dolly is open source: read more about it here in the forum about freeware: