Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

Slow Downloads Today.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Gang,is it just me!, or are the Downloads very Slow Today.thanks,(just checking to make sure it's not my machine, not complaining in any way about Avsim)

Guest j-mo

Downloads are working fine as usual for me. (I am on dial up).

Guest Navigator

Just now 30-31 kB/sec; normally 50-60. I have ADSLRegardsRoland

Guest Matt Johnson

I think it's just busy rather than anything else. Bandwidth is maxed out at the moment (50Mbit/sec across all of you out there) so I think that's the ulterior "problem".Then again, if you compare 30-31kB/sec for free with the rate given for free by a certain other popular download site I probably don't need to name, I still think you're getting a pretty good deal... :)Matt

Guest Philip Olson

Well now the speeds are back up again, I just got 600+ kbs, very nice! Matt, There is no doubt about it, this is by far the place to be! Thanks for everything! I don't mind the occasional 30 kbs download considering what a great place this is and it doesn't cost me a dime. I try to say it every once in a while so I'll say it again, thanks, you guys are the best!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

First, this is not a complaint. I'm getting barely 11K download on a 4 Meg broadband connection. Even the main site pages are loading extremely slow, although the forum pages seem fine. It could be some problems along the route I'm taking.

Guest Matt Johnson

If www.avsim.com is very slow for you, this is indicative of a problem outside of our control. WWW, Library and Forums are all on separate servers.Equally, the size of your connection doesn't really affect how fast or slow your download speed is (as far as the Library is concerned). The ratelimiter shares the available bandwidth as fairly as it can between all the downloaders, so frankly there's unlikely to be much difference in speed downloading from us on anything from a 512k to a 4Mbit line or more during "peak" times. 10pm - 6am Eastern is a very good time to download, since that tends to be when we aren't at our bandwidth cap. See attached image -- scale along the bottom is 24 hour clock, EDT.(In case anyone wonders about the daily slowdown at 4am EDT, this is when the housekeeping processes run and keep the database and disks a little busier than usual. Therefore, the Library doesn't respond quite as quickly to download requests, hence the dip in bandwidth usage.)Matthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/126336.gif