Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Request for autotuning display settings

Guest sonicbaz

It would be very cool if we could get some kind of a autotweak for FS so it would automatically determine the best settings and balance between framerates and quality on the fly (pardon the pun). Say for example I'm approaching an airport certain other features maybe clouds or scenery density would reduce to give maximum fps, depending on how I've set the autotweak options.:)sonicbaz

Hi,This is basically in place now in FS2004. You set the frame rate slider to your preference of high frame rates or scenery quality. Then as conditions change FS will adjust the image quality, etc., to keep the values you've set. Do you want something different?It might be nice for two settings - near the ground and at high altitudes - I would like two different frame rate settings in these cases.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

"This is basically in place now in FS2004. You set the frame rate slider to your preference of high frame rates or scenery quality. Then as conditions change FS will adjust the image quality, etc., to keep the values you've set."Actually, FS2004 does not do this, even though there's a minimum fps entry and an Auto LOD entry in the fs9.cfg. In CFS2, this functionality was present, and scenery detail could be automatically scaled back to maintain a set fps if Auto LOD was enabled. The Auto LOD and minimum FPS entry remained in the cfg for FS2002 and FS2004, but the functionality was never there. What's funny is if one adjusts the frame rate lock, the minimum fps entry is adjusted in the fs9.cfg. But that entry (forgive me if I'm not using the right name) has zero effect on my sim at least I can force FS2004 to fly into situations with the default scenery that take it into single digit fps and my scenery detail won't adjust one iota to compensate--FS2004 will diligently display the scenery in all the detail I've asked it to, regardless of my frame rate slider setting. That doesn't discount that the scenery textures may blur if FS2004 is struggling to keep up with my demands, but detail such as number of buildings, quality of buildings, autogen, visibility and so on--that won't change.BTW Tom, any chance you'll ever release an Electra on the same level as the DC-6/DC-7, one with wing views, perhaps? My first flight in '66 was on a PSA Electra...I'd love to look over those wings again, even if they're virtual ones :)-John Edit: Meant to reference the fs9.cfg--for some reason I said scenery.cfg twice, so I have edited the post

Guest tdragger

I've heard (wasn't around then) that auto-LOD never really worked like it should have.

Hi John,Yes, you are correct that the Scenery Density doesn't change with the frame rate lock, only the rate of texture updates, etc. Sorry for the confusion. I remember back in an earlier FS version that Lago came out with a program that would do that for you, though. Worked well.The same fellow that came out with the P-3 is working on an Electra, so hopefully it will only be a little while longer to wait... :)Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest GabrielR

>I've heard (wasn't around then) that auto-LOD never really>worked like it should have.Hint Hint ?????

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>>I've heard (wasn't around then) that auto-LOD never really>>worked like it should have.>>Hint Hint ?????Nope.