Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Do I have a bottleneck?

Hello Hardware Gurus,

I have an i9900 overclocked to 5.0. Although it has 8 cores, when I check the performance, it monitors what it calls 16 "logical" processors. When running P3D4.5 the first of these "logical processors is nearly always at 100% whereas all the others, whist obviously doing some work are spiking up and down consistently between 30% and 50%. The overall (I am guessing this is an average) CPU reading is at around 65%. Does the first logical processor at 100% mean I have a bottleneck or should I be going by the overall reading of 65% and believing the system is cruising?

Regards, 

Steve.

Normal behavior with the Windows operating system.  By default, Windows uses core 0 (either the physical core or the logical core when hyperthreading is activated) first, then begins to use the additional cores as needed.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you want to improve overall P3D performance, you can try this, with P3D running:

1. Open Windows Task Manager (right click on bottom taskbar to access)

2. Open the Processes tab, right-click on Prepar3d.exe and select Set Affinity

3. You will see your 16 logical cores, all selected

4. Unselect the first logical core, Core0, Click OK

5. Quit task manager.

Now the main P3D load will run on the second logical core with nothing running on Core0.

Your other option is to turn off Hyperthreading and run on 8 cores, instead of 16.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

19 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Your other option is to turn off Hyperthreading and run on 8 cores, instead of 16.

This ^^^

If this PC is primarily used for simming and gaming, HT does little but get in the way, especially on an 8-core CPU.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Some people have better FSX result with hyperthreading turned on, others have better results with it turned off.  I see absolutely no harm in trying it both ways to see which works best.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 hours ago, stans said:

Some people have better FSX result with hyperthreading turned on, others have better results with it turned off.  I see absolutely no harm in trying it both ways to see which works best.

That also depends on what CPU you've got.

For a quad core CPU, HT gives you 8 logical cores.. nice.

The OP actually has 8 physical cores... no need for HT to get to 16..

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The OP actually has 8 physical cores... no need for HT to get to 16..

I know it’s subjective, but I have the I9 9900k. @ 5.0GHz and I’ve tried both HT off and on. With HT on I use an AM to put the main P3D thread on LP0 and I keep all add ons off of the first two physical cores. Just subjectively, I think the sim loads faster and in flight the scenery loading seems faster and smoother. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11