Sign in to follow this  
MaDDogz

36K??

I don't know a great deal about this stuff, but it says here that it costs $36,000 to maintain avsim.

30 - 6 - Thousand - dollars....!!

and yet...

can't upload at small .JPG file....

um, Really?

that's hard to comprehend.

Luke Pype

You can upload images using an offsite hosting service.Using the proper image code will embed the image in your post.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I know Charlie.

But if i was running a forum, that costs as much as that, i would expect to be able to get a little storage for that, to be able to allow my users to upload images. Having to do it offsite is a pain. Like i said i don't know a great deal about it, but i know that's a large price tag!

regards

Luke Pype

Don't know what to tell you!  Maybe Jim will reply to this question.  I know that the server is expensive, the lease or rent for where the sever is kept, Maintenance and technician are all expenses that the AVSIM owners have to bear. AVSIM is no "panty-waist" operation.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

4 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

But if i was running a forum, that costs as much as that, i would expect to be able to get a little storage for that, to be able to allow my users to upload images. Having to do it offsite is a pain. Like i said i don't know a great deal about it, but i know that's a large price tag!

Having to do it onsite is a pain too... take your poison.. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Bert

Where did you get the figure that it costs $36000 to maintain AVSIM every year.  The annual donation goal is $36,000 but just a goal that has NEVER been met (even when we move donations received from one year to the next year goal).  AVSIM has to pay monthly for other domains, not just AVSIM.com so it is very expensive.  Occasionally we have additional unexpected costs and last year our membership generously helped us raise over $7000 for another server as the old one was failing.  When we had the hack in 2009, our membership stepped up again to keep AVSIM running.

It would be nice if we could meet our 2019 Goal of $36,000 before the end of the year but we know that is difficult and why it is just a goal.  As Rob stated above, there are other image hosting websites that are mostly free and allow you to embed your image directly into your post.  YouTube is the place to go if you want to embed your video into our video forum or to describe a problem you are having with your flight simulator.  If everyone had to upload videos to our servers first, the space would diminish rapidly.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Running a wesite like this is massively expensive. I ran a social network with about 40,000 users and it almost bankrupted me in server and data hosting costs 😞

Hosting images costs a small fortune even with services like Amazon.

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

On 7/23/2019 at 3:11 PM, Jim Young said:

Where did you get the figure that it costs $36000 to maintain AVSIM every year.  The annual donation goal is $36,000 but just a goal that has NEVER been met (even when we move donations received from one year to the next year goal).  AVSIM has to pay monthly for other domains, not just AVSIM.com so it is very expensive.  Occasionally we have additional unexpected costs and last year our membership generously helped us raise over $7000 for another server as the old one was failing.  When we had the hack in 2009, our membership stepped up again to keep AVSIM running.

It would be nice if we could meet our 2019 Goal of $36,000 before the end of the year but we know that is difficult and why it is just a goal.  As Rob stated above, there are other image hosting websites that are mostly free and allow you to embed your image directly into your post.  YouTube is the place to go if you want to embed your video into our video forum or to describe a problem you are having with your flight simulator.  If everyone had to upload videos to our servers first, the space would diminish rapidly.

Best regards,

Jim

Then there are many of us who owe a thanks to the people who helped keep it alive.

Seems I was confused with year goal / running costs. Thanks for explaining Jim.

• Like 1

Luke Pype