Sign in to follow this  
ark

MU-2B Reference Information

The MU-2B information below has been provided by FSW forum contributors and is collected here for convenience.  As new information becomes available it will be added to this first post in the thread. Note the latest FSW MU-2B user manual is always available from the MU-2B product page on the FSW website  https://flysimware.com/website/MU_2B_60.html .

Please keep subsequent posts succinct and on topic. Thanks!

Provided by ark:

MU-2B Pilots Operating Manual

http://givdemo.com/images/N360RA POM & AFM.pdf

MU-2B Training Manual (three sections, 117 total pages)

http://fliphtml5.com/gzja/nyrp/basic/

Edited by ark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nice, thanks for posting these, the shorter training manual 117 pages is really nice.

Cheers

Martin

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to use/read the performance tables (there are several in the POM, starting with pg 4-26) for the MU2?  I've tried copying and pasting into this post, but am unable to do so, since the entire doc is in pdf format.

Most appreciated!

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

8 hours ago, StewartH said:

Would someone be so kind as to explain how to use/read the performance tables (there are several in the POM, starting with pg 4-26) for the MU2?  I've tried copying and pasting into this post, but am unable to do so, since the entire doc is in pdf format.

Most appreciated!

Stew

Stew,

I have never flown a turboprop (my RW experience is limited to SEL reciprocating a/c), but I can take a shot at trying to help a bit. Hopefully someone with more appropriate experience will join in the discussion. In the meantime, below are a pair of the charts you referred to from the MU2 POM link above.

3e3b7aa391.JPG

0f8b952c45.JPG

848efafb77.JPG

This set of charts is for a standard temperature/pressure day (ISA). Other sets of charts are for colder or warmer days (e.g., ISA -10 or ISA +10, etc). Turboprop power is limited by the engines internal temperature limit (measured in this case by EGT -- Exhaust Gas Temperature) and altitude (less air higher up so less power). And generally speaking, turboprop performance is better on colder days.

As best as I understand it, the first chart provides recommended cruise power based on using 96% RPM (set by the condition levers) with an EGT limit of 650 deg C, or by using 96% RPM with a 100% torque setting, whichever comes first given the altitude and outside temperature. So it we pick an altitude, say 8000ft, the chart apparently indicates we will hit the RPM /EGT limit first and we can only get 98% torque at that limit. Reading horizontally across that row of the table we see the fuel flow for one or two engines (378 and 756 lbs/hr), and the expected CAS (Calibrated Airspeed) and True Airspeed based on a/c weight. The CAS is IAS (Indicated Airspeed) corrected for airspeed gauge error. I think IAS and CAS are reasonably close in most cases.

The second chart above is very similar to the first chart, but instead of providing Recommended Cruise Power settings as does the first chart, it provides Maximum Range Cruise Power settings for when range is more important than speed (I assume). So this chart just provides fuel efficient torque power settings (at 96% RPM) that apparently do not reach the EGT temperature limit.

The third chart above provides cruise range information based on using the Max Range Power settings in the second chart, again based on ISA and altitude, and total fuel available. If we use the example provided of a cruise altitude of 19,000 ft, we move horizontally from the altitude axis along the dotted line to the graph line that represents an initial assumed fuel load of 404 gallons (about 2700 lbs).  Where the dotted line intersects the 404 gallon line we can interpolate an expected True Airspeed (TAS) of about 294.5 Kts. But wind certainly impacts range so now we move vertically down to the lower wind graph to the horizontal 0 headwind/tailwind reference line. If in fact we expected neither a headwind or tailwind, we could then continue vertically down to the range axis and get an expected range of about 1080 NM. But if we expect a 20Kt tailwind as in the example, we move from the 0 wind reference  line up to the 20Kt tailwind line point as read on the left side of the wind graph. Note as we move up to this point, we move on an angle that parallels the existing plotted lines. Once we reach the 20Kt tailwind point we then drop straight down and read a range of approximately 1120NM. If we expected a 20Kt headwind, instead of moving up from the 0 wind reference line, we would move down from the 0 wind reference line, again moving parallel to the existing plotted lines, to the 20Kt headwind point, then drop straight down to read a range of about 960NM or so. Note the note  🙂   at the top of this chart that points out the range calculations account for startup, taxi, reserve fuel, climb, descent, and use of the max range power settings.

That's how I see it, hopefully I'm at least in the ballpark.  If there are any MU2/turboprop/jet drivers out there, feel free to step in and make observations and corrections as needed. And to what extent the FSW MU2 models the performance depicted in these graphs I don't know.

Al

Edited by ark

Thanks, Al.  I see how all of that fits together and how one can use these charts for trip planning.  My main stumbling block was deciding which table to use, i.e., how does one decide to use the standard temp/press day, or when does one use ISA-10, or ISA+10, etc.?  Does it depend on how many degrees warmer or colder than 15*C the current temperature is when one is planning the trip?  Or do you have to wait until you're in the air before you determine that?  After selecting the proper table, the rest seems fairly straightforward.  I've never flown either turboprop or reciprocating aircraft, so this is an interesting academic exercise for me!  And I'm curious how you managed to insert the tables and charts into your post.  I couldn't figure out how to do it.  I could copy the individual page(s), but couldn't get them pasted into a post.  Ctrl-V didn't work, so I was stuck.

Stew

1 hour ago, StewartH said:

Thanks, Al.  I see how all of that fits together and how one can use these charts for trip planning.  My main stumbling block was deciding which table to use, i.e., how does one decide to use the standard temp/press day, or when does one use ISA-10, or ISA+10, etc.?  Does it depend on how many degrees warmer or colder than 15*C the current temperature is when one is planning the trip?  Or do you have to wait until you're in the air before you determine that?  After selecting the proper table, the rest seems fairly straightforward.  I've never flown either turboprop or reciprocating aircraft, so this is an interesting academic exercise for me!  And I'm curious how you managed to insert the tables and charts into your post.  I couldn't figure out how to do it.  I could copy the individual page(s), but couldn't get them pasted into a post.  Ctrl-V didn't work, so I was stuck.

Stew,

Your original post asked how to read the MU2 charts so that's why I responded with the long explanation. If your only question is how to pick the right chart to use, I think the answer is you look at the winds aloft forecast for the area you will be flying through. These forecasts provide both wind and temperature data. A Google search on Decoding Winds Aloft Forecasts will bring up some info on how to interpret the forecasts, e.g., see https://www.gleim.com/public/av/private/pdf/faexample6_8.pdf

Once you know the forecast temperature for your altitude you can compare that to the ISA standard temp for that altitude. On a standard day the temp at sea level is 15 deg C and lapses (decreases) by 2 deg C per 1000ft. So if the forecast temp is 10 degs colder than the standard, you would use the ISA -10 charts.

As for inserting pics into an AVSIM post, see https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/479802-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot/

Essentially you take a screen shot and store it on a 3rd party site that provides you with a URL to the screen shot. I use the PUUSH utility for this but there are others you can use. You then insert the screen shot URL into your post using the Insert other media button in the lower left corner of your post. In short, it's magic!  😉

Al

Al,  Please don't misunderstand--your long explanation was much appreciated and very useful.  Selecting the correct table was only a part of problem. 

54 minutes ago, ark said:

So if the forecast temp is 10 degs colder than the standard

By this, do you mean colder than the standard at cruise altitude, say 20,000 ft, corrected for the 2 deg C lapse per 1000ft., i.e. 15*-40*=-25*?  Or 10 deg colder than the standard at sea level, 15*C?  This is where it was not clear to me and why I have asked for some help.

And thanks for the help in posting a screen shot.  I had not thought of using a hosting site, although that's what we do over at the Orbx site.

Stew

16 minutes ago, StewartH said:

By this, do you mean colder than the standard at cruise altitude, say 20,000 ft, corrected for the 2 deg C lapse per 1000ft., i.e. 15*-40*=-25*?  Or 10 deg colder than the standard at sea level, 15*C?  This is where it was not clear to me and why I have asked for some help.

Stew,

If the forecast temp for 20,000 ft was -35 deg C, which as you point out is 10 deg colder than the ISA standard temp of -25 deg C for that altitude, you would use the ISA-10 chart.  If the temperature at sea level is say 15 deg warmer than standard, I don't think you can assume that the  +15 differential will hold for all altitudes, so you need to use the wind aloft chart to get as accurate a temp for the cruise altitude as you can.

BTW, for easy reference here is an ISA standard temps chart:

f4e676c972.JPG

Al

Edited by ark

Al,  I think I have it now.  That all makes sense, now that you've included the info about the lapse rate per 1,000 ft.  Thanks for your patience!

Of course, if anyone else would like to weigh in here, please feel free.

Stew

Stew

17 minutes ago, StewartH said:

Al,  I think I have it now.

Stew

Good!  It was a useful exercise for me as well.

Al

Edited by ark

It occurs to me that while understanding how to use the charts is certainly worthwhile, I suspect that experienced MU2 drivers have some simplified ' rules of thumb ' that they use for trip planning unless the trip circumstances  (really bad weather, long range, significant headwinds, etc)  require more exacting detail. 

Al

I thought it might be helpful to share this sheet with some quick references for the MU-2B-60.  I've gathered this information from a variety of sources, including RW MU-2 pilots, the MU-2 site and the POH, and I have found they work well for handling the FSW Marquise.  I recently found a similar sheet in the Lear35A sub-forum and found it very helpful, so thought others might benefit from this.  Disclaimer: while I am a RW commercial multi instrument pilot, I have not flown the MU-2.

Here's the google sheet: MU-2B-60 Limitations

You will find takeoff, climb, approach and landing limitations and recommended procedures for various weights and flap settings.  Happy to clarify if anything is not clear or you see any errors.

• Upvote 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

The link to the pilots operating manual appears to be offline (MU-2B Pilots Operating Manual - http://givdemo.com/images/N360RA POM & AFM.pdf)

Does anyone have a downloaded copy they would be willing to share? 

Jim

PS  - apologies for resurrecting a 3 year old discussion, since the link was in the first post figured it was appropriate 

22 hours ago, mugc said:

The link to the pilots operating manual appears to be offline (MU-2B Pilots Operating Manual - http://givdemo.com/images/N360RA POM & AFM.pdf)

Does anyone have a downloaded copy they would be willing to share? 

Jim

PS  - apologies for resurrecting a 3 year old discussion, since the link was in the first post figured it was appropriate 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoaqcfm22x2p192/MU-2B Pilot Operating Manual.pdf?dl=0
Don't know if this is the same document that you
are looking for or not -- as you mentioned, it has been a long time!  😃

Al

Edited by ark