Sign in to follow this  
lidorx7

VR or 55" 4K

Hello,

i am really into replacing my 1080 24" LG as it so small, and thinking about going VR (rift s, HP)? 

really confused which one is better. 🙄

mostly flying PMDG birds, the gauge reading/FMC is really important for me.  i know you can get best immersion with VR, but what about the small details?

how about a nice 55" 4k TV? i know some people here tried and never looked back. i really want to go with VR but really worried about all the side effects ( SDE, fog, controllers, Navigraph)

my rig is 8700 and 1080 runs really good with my sim now.

i would like to hear your opinions,

Thanks .

I was in this same boat almost about a year ago. I went VR and do not regret it. I only fly GA aircraft, but I can lean in and see everything perfect and like a monitor, you can assign a zoom key on a button on your yoke for more "zoom" if you need it. Depending on what you get VR wise, you can pull other Windows into the virtual space to view Navigraph charts / Skyvector or whatever. I use the Samsung Odessy and open SkyVector directly in VR using OVRdrop through Steam. 

It really does vastly improve your flight experience. I did get a bit motion sick in the beginning, but it wears off. You can also use your monitor and turn off VR if you want to. 

I have both, so my experience:

Love flying low and slow with my old rift, combat with IL2 and exploring universe with Elite Dangerous.

But i need a better resolution (55" 4K) when flying airliners like PMDG, FSLABs, ... Using CDUs, FMCs and small windows are really difficult for me with VR.

i haven't tried the HP reverb resolution, so i don't know if with these resolutions you could use airliners!

Miguel Leandro

Get the VR. The Rift S has a considerably clearer image than the old CV1. I fly PMDG with the Rift S and I have issues seeing the text on the FMC or PFD. Text that is too small to read without leaning in would probably be too small without doing so in real life too (e.g., tiny markings on standby instruments etc.). I thought it was ok even with the CV1 at higher supersampling rates.

Everything else is okay with the Rift S too, e.g., importing windows for charts. SDE is still there but much better now and you will quickly forget about it anyway the first time you rotate in VR!

Edited by andreh

5 hours ago, lidorx7 said:

Hello,

i am really into replacing my 1080 24" LG as it so small, and thinking about going VR (rift s, HP)? 

really confused which one is better. 🙄

mostly flying PMDG birds, the gauge reading/FMC is really important for me.  i know you can get best immersion with VR, but what about the small details?

how about a nice 55" 4k TV? i know some people here tried and never looked back. i really want to go with VR but really worried about all the side effects ( SDE, fog, controllers, Navigraph)

my rig is 8700 and 1080 runs really good with my sim now.

i would like to hear your opinions,

Thanks .

Nothing compares to the immersive feeling of presence like VR. What most non VR folks are forgetting is most importantly the depth of stereoscopic 3d you get with VR natively 

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

my two cent:

when P3D v4 came out in May 2017, I bought the Oculus Rift. Since May this year, I have its successor, the Rift-S. My average "flight-time" is 3 to 4 hours a week, completely in VR. I have several PMDG and A2A, also Milviz, Aerosoft CRJ, TFDI 717, Leonardo MD82 and FSL A320. I would never go back to flat screen.

Michael

Edited by michaelth
  • Upvote 1

Michael Thesen

MSFS, HP Reverb G2, Gigabyte B760 32Gb, Samsung 970 EVO, Geforce RTX 4070-TI, Win11, i7-14700KF, Thrustmaster T16000M, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

7 minutes ago, michaelth said:

my two cent:

when P3D v4 came out in May 2017, I bought the Oculus Rift. Since May this year, I have its successor, the Rift-S. My average "flight-time" is 3 to 4 hours a week, completely in VR. I have several PMDG and A2A, also Milviz, Aerosoft CRJ, TFDI 717, Leonardo MD82 and FSL A320. I would never go back to flat screen.

Michael

This

I’m on CV1 though 😁

Edited by Sam

I thought about it Going VR but I got a home cockpit with all the bells and whistles and using black curtains to create a shell which blocks out all the distractions. I think if your tight on space and funds VR is the way to go but it doesn't  beat  being in a real cockpit with all the switches and things that you can feel. So for me 4k is better for my situation. If I was doing DCS I think it would be a winner there. Josh

• Upvote 1

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Hello... I’m looking online at 55 or greater Samsung.  Question does there have to be any special connector to achieve the 30 hz ..ie.  DisplayPort or hdmi... hdmi2, that I should be looking for when researching 

thanks 

Steve

Ps,

I’ll agree that the immersion factor of vr is very cool.... and with Prepared I can switch back and forth with Vr and a monitor through out flight so I don’t over do Vr... funny thing is my eyesight is much clearer after a hour so flight in Vr... go figure

1 hour ago, sluihn said:

funny thing is my eyesight is much clearer after a hour so flight in Vr... go figure

That's probably because vr is focused to infinity (or to your emmetropic distance, if you use corrective lenses in your vr). So your eyes are "relaxed" while in vr.  Close view distances typical of modern life are instead conducive to temporary and permanent myopia.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I've run a 55 inch 4K for about 3 years and to be quite honest, on each flight I wish I had gone with between a 40" and 43".  55'' is just too large, forcing one to look WAYYYY up from time to time and you end up missing some of the in-sim messages that occur from time to time.  I sit about 24 inches back from the monitor, so if you could be further back it would help, but you'd end up straining your eyes eventually at a further distance (younger people won't notice the damage this causes until they are older, so like advice for you back when lifting heavy objects... you'll pay for it when you get older if you disregard that type of advice.

I recommend nothing larger than 43", and I would probably go with a 40" if I had it to do all over again.

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Reverse for me, went from 40" to 65" and I love it. Sit about 40 inches from the screen. Of course, if one has eye problems that may or may not be an optimal solution but works great for me, big screens are the best!

11 hours ago, andreh said:

I fly PMDG with the Rift S and I have issues seeing the text on the FMC or PFD. Text that is too small to read without leaning in would probably be too small without doing so in real life too (e.g., tiny markings on standby instruments etc.).

No, in the real aircraft it is quite easy to read text across the flight deck. The lines are thick, letters spaced well.  I have not been impressed with VR when it comes to these airliners at all.  You should be able to read it all relaxed without putting your face up near anything.  However, I've flown Helos and the Pilatus Porter with my Rift S and thought it was a blast.

My advice to you is if you really want to focus on the larger aircraft go with a large monitor, I honestly think a 40-43" 4K is more than enough.  If you have left over money after that investing in the Oculus S is worth it for numerous other reasons.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I own a 65" 4k Samsung Qled and in my opinion, nothing beats the immersion you get in VR. With a TV-monitor can´t help thinking that I´m "playing" with a game on my tv instead of being right there.

With the new headsets and a good SS you can read the gauges in pmdg without a problem, with the FMC you have to lean a bit, just like you do in real life. 

In short, just used my Qled to check how nice looked p3d in 4k and went back to VR.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

The Rift S is a huge improvement for VR, not only due to the improved resolution, but also because external trackers are not used anymore. At this point, VR is only somewhat awkward on P3D, considering that the platform does not offer support to touch controls. On XP11, the experience is much better. 

I do have a 4K TV, but I barely use it for flight simulation.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus