Sign in to follow this  
lidorx7

VR or 55" 4K

so i guess from the answers the 4K is the way for me to go with big birds for now,

at least until VR will be way more accurate and light on frames.

Edited by lidorx7

One thing that hasn't been discussed much is Field of View - the capability to look sideways and see the airport before you make the turn to final. If all your landings are straight in, then you are fine with 4KTV. However, VR gives you about 110 degrees of view without moving your head, but when you do move your head, your 110 degrees move with you. You get to naturally swivel around and see the world out the side window. (you could try out TrackIR to do the same - I wear glasses and looking through them sideways didn't work for me ) For 4KTV, If you want just the airliner instrument panel to be near real size, then get the 55" or 65" but mount it lower and offset horizontally, so the horizon and PFD is even with your eyepoint straight ahead. Many lower cost flight simulators for the Police, Fire Departments, etc also place two 65" (or larger ) 4KTVs  angled on the side of you for side displays - that gets expensive of course.

Personally, I really enjoy VR because I enjoy flying VRS F-18s in P3D, all GA, DCS in general, Aerofly FS2 (the BEST VR fluid performance by far ), and IL-2 as well as airliners. I like to fly low over the terrain and am really amazed how VR matches up with my actual real world private piloting (except for the low flying!!). The clarity of VR has really improved in the last six months but you do need a multicore CPU at almost 5 Ghz and a great graphics card (I have RTX2070 ). You also need to have Windows 10 build 1903 to stay up with improvements. Either choice will add a lot to your enjoyment of flight sim. Little monitors are so last century!

• Upvote 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

On 7/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Eye area gets hot after 30 mins and starts to get uncomfortable and starts to feel "heavy"

I sweat profusely under the headset, my hair looks like I haven't showered in days after a long session.. but...

Since I bought my prescription lense insets which I chose to have the blue light protection option, my eyes feel less strained in long VR sessions. 

Before that I could only keep the headset on for about 30 minutes, just like you wrote. Since I have the lenses, I can go for hours.

VROptician does offer that as an option for their lenses. 

I picked it because I don't want to risk macular degenaration which is supposedly a risk from blue led light. But apparently, and it is marketed as such, it DOES help to reduce strain on your eyes as well. I was not even aware it did, but I noticed it right away.

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/int/eye-care-professionals/products/coatings/duravision-blueprotect.html

• Like 1

Any recommendations on a 43" 4K TV. I have the Rift S but there are some situations where VR is just too taxing. Having a 4K monitor might be a decent substitute.

NAX669.png

On 7/26/2019 at 11:31 PM, Farlis said:

VROptician does offer that as an option for their lenses. 

I picked it because I don't want to risk macular degenaration which is supposedly a risk from blue led light. But apparently, and it is marketed as such, it DOES help to reduce strain on your eyes as well. I was not even aware it did, but I noticed it right away.

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/int/eye-care-professionals/products/coatings/duravision-blueprotect.html

Not saying one way or the other, but here is the opposite view.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/should-you-be-worried-about-blue-light

I have used so called computer glasses in the past but noticed no difference from my regular glasses.

Mick

On 7/28/2019 at 3:15 PM, mwilk said:

Any recommendations on a 43" 4K TV. I have the Rift S but there are some situations where VR is just too taxing. Having a 4K monitor might be a decent substitute.

I did a fair amount of research since I hadn't invested in 4K for Flightsimming yet....I went with this one - Samsung UN43RU7100FXZA - on Am*zon for $327, and it looks great.  Nice because the refresh rates are selectable in the advanced menu.  Took a bit of tweaking with nVidia desktop settings, but it's dialed in now and looks fantastic.    I typically start the flight in VR, then switch out of VR for the cruise phase of the flight.  

cheers, 

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating