Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Anyone hoping the vintage birds return???

I thought most of the CoF vintage planes were very well made. My favorite was the J3 Cub..it definitely deserves to stay in, since many of them are still flown in real life. The DC3 is another classic that really should be in the sim. Not sure about the others...maybe the tri-motor..but Jenny? Wright flyer? Well I don't need those.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Mike I beg to differ on the default Cessna's ability to side-slip. I'll have to try this at home with a heavy cross wind. I can't imagine any bird in FS that just plows through the air perfectly straight in a heavy crosswind. Now we can argue the degree of sideslip on various versions of the 172 in FS but even then that's wind dependent... All my experience in Flight Simulator required me to side-slip all the way down to the runway if the situation called for it and straighten the bird out just before the wheels touched the ground. Now one thing I have seen a problem with concerning the various versions of the 172/152 renditions in FS is how much the aircraft slips in a turn after departure from level flight (requiring the pilot to 'step on the ball' during the turn) . I won't get into who the culprits are in this area but there are some major differences that are flat out wrong in some of the more respected titles.Now don't get me wrong aircraft like the A36 or Baron might not slip as much as say a Cirrus or 182 but in aircraft that should exhibit this behavior some titles could have done a better job. It

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>Mike I beg to differ on the default Cessna's ability to>side-slip. You can beg to differ however many times you want. The default 172 does not side-slip at all. You probably did not even try it before you wrote this sentence - typical of you. I suggest you grab Flight1's 172 or some other 172 where you can actually see how things are supposed to work since clearly you never tried it on a real aircraft.By the way, another indication of your lack of knowledge on this subject - when you side slip in crosswind you do not "straighten" things out just before you land - you continue until you touch down in which case the upwind wheel touches ground first. Even 747 lands in a heavy crosswind on its upwind gear first.I have no opinion on 182 prop, I haven't flown it in real life. But it exhibit the same poor behaviour in pitch as most default FS aircraft so I suspect it is quite bad all-around as well.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

You know what Michael I've tried to be more than respectful of you and now I'm at a point I don't care if Avsim locks this thread.You come off as one of those kids in school who thought they knew everything about everything only to get chased home with a black eye. Or let

FS2020 

"Seems you enjoy those voluminous writings (have nothing else to do?)"I had to take a time out to address the crap you've been writing... :-roll "when you side slip in crosswind you do not "straighten" things out just before you land - you continue until you touch down in which case the upwind wheel touches ground first."I guess you can do this perfectly everytime under any inclement weather condition (I'm sorry I forgot you have 300+ hours in a 172)... No landing is ever the same much less perfect and you do the best you can in bad or less than desirable conditions. I for one don't care about what wheel touches first if it's that bad out as long as I get the bird on the runway safely.

FS2020 

Guest tdragger

Thread lock anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?!

Dryden Flight Research Center:http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Education/OnlineE...ight/nasss.html"For normal flight conditions there is little reason for a pilot to intentionally sideslip an airplane. The exception is during a crosswind landing, (wind trying to blow the airplane off the side of the runway). Intentional sideslips are then necessary to keep the airplane over the runway just before touchdown. The steady sideslip maneuver in the low speed, landing configuration (gear and flaps down) is, therefore, more than just a test maneuver. It is a measure of how easily the pilot can compensate for crosswinds during landing."My above comment needs clarification:"All my experience in Flight Simulator required me to side-slip all the way down to the runway if the situation called for it and straighten the bird out"What I ment here was in flying the approach down to the runway the plane is already facing left or right of center due to the crosswind component on the aircraft and as stated above before landing is when I apply the side-slip maneuver. I admit I don't have allot of real time hours unlike some fortunate people here, can't afford it (this is not to take away from what I stated above, I'm talking behind the yoke 152/172 solo time, just me and the bird at 3-5,000ft cross country)...

FS2020