Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

Can you put "Resources" overrides in Custom Scnery?

I'm trying to sort out my trees (!) and several of the addon packages I've downloaded include replacement entries for files in the X-Plane "\Resources . . ." folder. I'd prefer to have these entries as overrides rather than replacements (so I can easily drop back to the standard resouce files) so my question is - can I create an additional folder (something like "Custom Resources", for instance) to contain any replacement entries and then reference the new folders via sortcuts/links in the Custom Scenery/Scenery_packs.ini environment?

thanks in advance for any advice

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

The easiest way to turn on/off scenery items, plugins etc is through a program called xOrganizer v2.

A great little utility to be found at http://www.4xplane.nl/xorganizer/

Once you have turned off the bits you don't need I think it'll be a matter of copy/paste stored scenery to/from another directory of your choosing.

I think all items to be read have to be in Custom Scenery but this can be junction linked into place or, as you said by shortcuts.

Best of luck.

Edited by Blackrat100

Blackrat

Thanks Blackrat, but I regard xorganizer as bordering on malware. Haven't tried v2 but it seems to me as soon as you just start v1 it goes in and re-writes your scenery_packs.ini file and replaces your setup with its own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Best practice would probably be turning the replacement textures into an object library, which will replace the default trees with the modified ones.

The question is if the amount of required work is worth it (you WILL haven to study XP's object management system for that), especially in light if X-Plane's installer being easily able to replace changed default items.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thanks Bjoern. I'm beginning to think I'll probably just have to keep a clean original backup folder and revert/copy as needed. Might be the simplest solution.

10 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Thanks Bjoern. I'm beginning to think I'll probably just have to keep a clean original backup folder and revert/copy as needed. Might be the simplest solution.

As I've said, the installer can restore original files as well, so there's basically no reason to waste disk space on backups.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days