Sign in to follow this  
737_800

majestic dash8 using by other person?

Hi, 

do you know how it works with majestic dash dvd? I dont fly it and want to sell it. but I remember, that you need to put your email adress for installing the programm. how does it work when selling it?

As far as I know, the license agreement states that you cannot transfer the license to someone else - I may be wrong though.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hello,

it is not yours to sell, the licence is granted to you to use the product and is not transferrable.

8.jpg

This is word not allowed ruling!! I dont like the Majestic, have it here on my shelf for 4 years but never flew with it. Doesnt run on my system and I don't like dash's. I can understand when they do it with download version, but with boxed ones this is....

If you don't like Dash's why did you buy it?

The licence agreement is for all mediums, downloaded and CD/DVD.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Depends where you are.  My understanding is that in the EU you DO have the right to sell a physical disk and that over-rides the EULA, but I'm not a lawyer.

ngxu_banner.png

I am not a lawyer either but since the purchase is of a licence and not the product,

then common sense would dictate that the way that the product is delivered is of no consequence.

It remains a digital product licence, even though the files might be delivered on a physical disk and there

is no right to sell something that is not yours to sell in the first place.

In the UK, selling something that you do not own and do not have the right to sell is called "theft".

Regardless of this, Majestic Software's licence verification system is very robust and it is most unlikely

that the purchaser would be able to install and run a product that is registered to another customer and another PC.

I and most Majestic Dash licence holders find it to be one of the very best addon aircraft ever made for any simulator

and also very light on the use of the PC hardware and of very good performance in the simulator.

It would make far more sense, having bought an aircraft model that you do not like, to make the effort to install it

correctly and then savour the quality in the hope that your preconception may prove to be faulty.

Edited by Reader

I usually need to try stuff in order to decide if I like it or not. 

Yeah, in EU is allowed to sell hardcopies without any issue, but if developers do such things it of course get impossible. 

I think that if you were to look at the small print, you may well be allowed by an EU directive to sell a DVD,

however, that does not oblige the developer of the product on that DVD to honour the software licence.

The DVD would then be of no use to the new "owner" unless they were to buy their own licence.

Of course, this would make the entire transaction with you a waste of their time and money.

What is about my money? It is customer unfriedly to bind people their whole life to a license! As long as I delete the software and do not create any copies it should be fine to sell the boxed version. In the EU you are even allowed to sell download versions you bought before, it doesn't matter what the developer writes in his license agreement. What counts is the EU law. At least I read that in wikipedia. 

>>The DVD would then be of no use to the new "owner" unless they were to buy their own licence.<<

Aha, what is the sense of the whole BOX Version concept?!

The point that you seem to be intent on missing is that the Majestic software "phones home" as do very many other

flight simulator aircraft addons.

If it does not find what it expects to, then the product does not work.

Sometimes, it is hard enough to satisfy the licence check when one is the licence holder, never mind when one is not.

The box version concept that you refer to is very outdated and was indeed the source of files for those who did not wish to pay for software at all.

For example, I have a "boxed" version of an aircraft that was released through Flight 1 years ago.

It is a very good aircraft but the DVD is only the means of delivering the software files to me.

Once the installer is run, it also phones Flight 1 to see if I have a licence and if I had not, then there is nowhere left to go but to buy one.

That is where any purchaser of your DVD would be.

This is nothing personal to you, it is the way that software of all kinds has been marketed for years.

There is nothing particular about your money, only your misunderstanding of the concept of a licence.

Edited by Reader

That make no sense to me. It seems to me that software distributers took out an tremendous advantage for themselves. 

Then they need to offer something that I can change it on flight1 or come up with a new concept. I understand and support the fact that developers what to get paid for their products. If people would have the right mindset and not steal the work of others, we maybe wouldn't even need such security steps. There are too many people who download that stuff illegally, I am aware of that. However there is no need to punish people who work for their money and buy the license and give them the chance to sell the license. I think we can assume that someone who prefers to buy a licese instead of downloading it online illegally would delete everything after product transfer. 

it is just unfair. No one has the right to bind me to a licence my whole life! That money that I spend is gone for a produkt that I couldn't even enjoy. If I don't want that licence anymore I should get the chance to transfer it. Of course from the perspective of developers I would like that and prefer to sell a new license but that how it works with other products too and other developers of products have to deal with it. If you buy a camera and dont want it after a certain time you can sell it. 

The argument with the boxed version is weak. I think the main purpose was to offer that for people with weak internet connection, nonetheless, 

Anyway, in the EU we have different law and they should stick to it. If they cannot provide the right licensing system they should start selling products until fullfilling the requierments. 

Have you contacted Majestic and asked them? Seems like the logical solution to me.

As licensing is a contractual issue between the developer and the user, it's probably best that the OP deal with Majestic directly on this.

And, as I close this thread, there's a lesson to be learned here...don't just blindly click "I agree" on those licensing and EULA pages when you install software.  The contract means what it says, not what you wish it said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case