Sign in to follow this  
JB3DG

What developers want

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

MAXON recently drastically dropped the versions (all-in-one now) and price of their C4D (another surface modeling and animation tool) ... $60/mo vs. 3DSMax at $120/mo.

9 hours ago, fs4fun said:

Nice, I'll have to take a look. Prices have been falling as this stuff gets more commodity, and with Blender that's more downward pressure.

Barry Friedman

Guys, what has any of this got to do with "What developers want".. Can we get back on topic. If Microsoft are reading this then I'm sure they don't want to pile through non-related topics

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I hid our posts that discussed programming languages and computers because they were clearly off topic.  I will admit I too got caught up in something that is dear to my heart and didn't use my Moderator head. However, I was wrong.

I hated to do it but that is a subject for another thread in the hardware and programming sections.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

oh yeah UWP support would be great to get external tools maybe even running on the XBOX. Maybe even a "own" markepplace inside the game for this freeware/payware Apps?

• Upvote 1

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

6 hours ago, 188AHC said:

I hated to do it but that is a subject for another thread in the hardware and programming sections.

I thought it was an interesting sub-thread, so I created a new thread in the Addon Developer's forum and split off the hidden posts there:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, Bill. I had thought of splitting but wasn't real sure where to put it.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Water flow - the ability to tell the sim what direction the water flows.  Critically important for rivers and streams.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Almost forgot...Radios and navigation aids.

Native TACAN support would be great. Air-to-Air TACAN would also be great.

For COM radios, 8.33Khz spacing, and UHF frequencies would be great.

Support for more than 2 COM/NAV/ADF/TACAN radios please :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Since MS is doing something with FSX again, how about fixing the FSX Gmax gamepack so it doesn't freeze on Windows 10? I don't really have much hope for this but it can't hurt to ask, LOL.

Barry Friedman

32 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

MS is doing nothing with FSX..

The new sim will have a new sim engine, so in all probability, nothing of the FSX stuff will work.. 

It will be a new sim, not an update or an upgrade of FSX. 

The announcement today suggests MS has some plans for FSX, in support of those who continue to put efforts into that platform. It's not clear to me whether they mean users, developers, or both.

Barry Friedman

10 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

That comment was from Dovetail, saying that they will continue to release new addons for FSX. 

I'm referring to this statement:

The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.

More on our FSX plans coming soon…

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Barry Friedman

3 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

Genuine question - why is it important that the direction of water flow is correct? Landing/ take-off on water?

So you don't see "waves" on a river due to wind direction.  Rivers don't show waves like the ocean will... they're usually moving at around 5kts on their own and the wind direction may rough the surface up, but it won't really change the visual flow of the water's direction like it does in the sim.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Probably a rather simplistic wish from a freeware developer but I would be delighted if FS9 scenery could be easily integrated for use. Or some degree of that, perhaps FS9 scenery objects..... Well, I did warn you it was simplistic!

I would prefer they stop supporting old and outdated methods of scenery design.  FS9 is way too far back in the past to be realistic.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

8 hours ago, rogwen said:

Probably a rather simplistic wish from a freeware developer but I would be delighted if FS9 scenery could be easily integrated for use. Or some degree of that, perhaps FS9 scenery objects..... Well, I did warn you it was simplistic!

Perhaps giving developers a tool to transform FSX and FS9 MDLs to any new standard would be a nice touch. ModelConverterX already can do this to a certain extent, and I'm sure Arno will consider it's use for Dos Equis. Visibility conditions, as well as animation, could be recreated with the new SDK.

Placement XMLs can be decompiled and that data transfered to any new placement format (if it changes).

Raster-based scenery ( photoreal, landclass, seasons, etc...) can be made from the original source files, I'm sure.

I just hope the team delivers useful tools that use a somewhat standard format. As far as objects, perhaps the 3dsMax->.x file->MDL process has seen better days, as they always require an intermediate program to convert an object and animation to something FS? can use. Something Blender 2.8 could export directly to an addon folder would work.