Sign in to follow this  
JB3DG

What developers want

I like C++, but, please add C#, Python SDK direct or interfaced support.  IMO much faster app development and debugging.
Other MS Studio dev languages also appreciated.

RPN XML is outdated and very limited on FSX/P3D, if it is still used in MS2020, please update and expand it.
(My first RPN apps were written back in the early eighties on a HP41CV using Synthetic Programming)

Edited by RamonB

All written before but not to change that much the SDK tools or ability to learni it quick. 

Would be great to be able to develop our airports in productin into the new flight simulator without spend 1 year of learning the new SDK :) 

32 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

C++ will be faster as there is no CLR overhead

I agree with You; C++ execution would be faster, but C# and other .NET languages dominate nowadays.
We also need some type of intrinsic code protection to prevent Reflector et al execution.
Let's hope Microsoft adds that and other languages support.

Edited by RamonB

How about F# as another option? I suspect though that we'll see Lua and XML...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

21 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

C++ will be faster as there is no CLR overhead, but agree,

Maybe slightly off subject and don't know how well it would work with flight sim, but I moved all my economic models to Julia and have been extremely pleased.  🙂

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

anyone knows when the SDK will be out (if will be)? 

we are developing few airports for xp and p3d and would love to have a clue about new fs sdk for that. 

any hint?

A small thing, but actually very important for scenery development as well as spotting bugs in the scenery: SLEW

Flight did not have slew and it was a problem. I'm hoping we'll have this. 

11 minutes ago, rhumbaflappy said:

A small thing, but actually very important for scenery development as well as spotting bugs in the scenery: SLEW

Flight did not have slew and it was a problem. I'm hoping we'll have this. 

+1 to this. In fact, I'd love to see a built-in camera system similar to X-Plane's and ChasePlane, this helps a huge amount with scenery development and taking nice screenshots

• Like 1

C++ will be faster as there is no CLR overhead, but agree, I would like to see any .NET language support also as that will bring in more developers.  There is still a demand for C++ developers especially in the entertainment industry, but C# .NET dominates.

I personally don't care (P3D PDK is very fast as it's C++ based), it's just syntax ... but whatever Microsoft decide on, please provide sufficient and complete and accurate documentation, WORKING samples from start to finish (not partial samples), and not a CHM file.

I'd like all the files to be encrypted binary on deployment ... or at least have a choice to deploy that way so as to protect our work.

Cheers, Rob.

C++ is essential to high level simulations for a whole multitude of reasons though, so hope that doesn't get removed for other languages.

Edited by JB3DG
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

On 9/28/2019 at 5:05 PM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Yes they eluded to an SDK.

Cheers, Rob.

alluded to 

@moderators, any reason this is unstickied?

• Upvote 1

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Freeware scenery developer (XPlane):

1. A large library of HQ stock objects so that we can make convincing lego-brick airports. If the XPlane Gateway model is then adopted, lego-brick airports could be submitted to mods and approved/rejected. These could then be shipped with the latest update without the need for users to download additional libraries. This also ensures that default airports are HQ and up to date (with ground markings/taxiway changes...). It would be a shame if such a beautiful sim were to be ruined by poor vanilla airports.

2. The ability to get information about the terrain mesh in the scenery development programme used to create overlays. In XPlane, it is frustrating to make a custom building, only for it to sink into the ground because you have no information on local elevation fluctuations whilst in the scenery tool.

• Like 1