My request , A new Effects Tool , to this day I still boot up FSX to make use of that tool to rough out effects for use in all sims.

Best CJ

• Like 2

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For the love of all things good, please allow us to create custom landing and taxi lights! Having only one un-modifiable "fx_landing.fx" is just lame and frustrating...

• Like 6

Dick Ludowise here. Freeware tool developer.

A small favor I would ask.

I'm guessing there will be some ability to have object's display controlled by variables. P3D has already fleshed out methods to control both material and model depending on some system variables. The problem is seasons are controlled by a seasons.bgl, but object displays (and effects) have no access to that variable. Instead we have to guess the season by it's location and date. If you put it there for us, we can have dog houses with snow at the proper time, and leaves falling from the trees when appropriate, ice on the lakes when needed, shriveled gardens in the summer.

Also, please simplify the Autogen Annotator. It sucks.

• Like 2

As a freeware developer since FS98 I truly want some built inn tools that enables editing scenery, airports and buildings in real time inside the sim using stock library objects and textures. Functionality to place autogen in real time would be great also.

In time I'd also like to see a building editor to create custom 3D buildings (something like the tool you use to create buildings in The Sims). 

Freeware has always been the cornerstone of the FS community. It is how many professional developers got to cut their teeth, and unless the new FS by some magic has the entire world simulated in glorious detail, freeware is needed to fill in the blanks. 

Having some nice and easy tools will enable developers like myself to quickly make a decent version of my local GA airport/strip so we can use the sim for training. Making custom 3D buildings is time consuming enough as it is. 

Also, easy to use tools incorporated into the sim will give 1000s of amateurs the ability to create scenery for their home airport, town or village. A hobby I'm sure many would enjoy just as much as the flying. I hope the old way of using a huge collection of external tools just to get the ILS of your local airport correct, or add a few local scenery landmarks, is history 🙂

Thanks and good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

forgot one more important point:

- communication between the MS Developers and freeware/payware developers. Without making a difference between payware devs and freeware devs. I think we all can agree that the FS Community has become this big and great thanks to all the freeware developers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Dynamic control over FX parameters like brightness/cone and to shift/rotate a particular light's position/orientation values. Useful for landing lights, logo lights, instrument lights.

Oh and please pleeeease pleeeeeeeeeeease provide for callbacks synced to the sim physics thread with access to the function for getting total elapsed sim time at the sub second accuracy....

Edited by JB3DG

Dynamic lighting with actual shadows...

• Like 1

Frag, - I see the change to your Commercial status didn't stick. I'm going to try to find out what is happening. At any case I know you are legit so no problem.

• Like 1

I just tried again and now it is showing. Sorry for the delay but it is fixed now.  Rock on.

Regarding simconnect - first of all, it is a function of Camera6dof. Need full control of 6 variables (plus 7 is zoom) - Camera6dof (x,y,z,x1,y1,z1,zoom) - get the current values and the ability to change.

Yet, the simulator must return through a variable camera state that is selected by the user at the moment - it's either a Spot, or an external camera or a world camera.

Still, it would be nice to have more variables from the simconnect returning data about the physics of the flight model.

In any case, you need a good description of the SDK and more information about the use of data through simconnect (or another structure, if something other than simconnect will be the interface with the simulator) .

Freeware Developer. Admin of a forum about scenery design.

It would be great if Nvidia PhysX could get into the simulator, that would be a big deal. Because you could get a whole range of credible animations.

The windsock would not just wag, but he would flutter in the wind (cloth modifier). But also dynamic collision, gravity, friction, etc. If you hit, for example, with the wing to a light pole, then the mast breaks off at predefined predetermined breaking points.

These are just small examples.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Freeware airfile designer

Please fix/develop

1) Jet engine simulation, fuel incorrectly burns from Fn (net thrust) when it shoud burn from Fg gross thrust (1506&1507 in the turbine tables)

2) CL v mach, no rendering of compression effect v mach so pitch increases 

3) TSFC value, sim currently has 1 hard coded value for all regimes of flight, please make this dynamic so that fuel burn can be scaled at all aspects of flight instead of faking it through a gauge

4) Sim1.dll, please expose the values in here and allow some of the sims physics to be controlled externally. Eg rolling friction for concrete is way too high in sim, remove or elaborate on some of the hard coded turbine modelling within sim1.dll and put them in the airfile or aircraft.cfg

5) Please give us the ability to model more than 2 stages of a jet turbine, ie Rolls Royce engines 3 stage N1/2/3

6) Please rework the mach tables to provide higher resolution than 0.2 increments, 0.1 would be better 

loads more on Fsdeveloper, but many thanks 

Edited by kand
  • Like 1

Dai - both freeware developer and commercial developer for PILOT'S.

Upgrade those terrible 8-bit graphics to 24-bit. The latest generation of Nvidia GTX2000-series graphics cards and 4K monitors is a complete nightmare for any form of gradient, however slight. I thought I'd had a few problems with the older GTX900-series cards on HDMI monitors, but 8-bit graphics on Turing cards is a swamp without a bottom.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

freeware MV-22B developer.

1. more option for flight model like VTOL

2. more flexible for custom variable to be use in multiplayer.

• Like 1

Here's another one:

more engines! It'd be great if wee could develop something with more than 4 engines.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, GMVitus said:

Here's another one:

more engines! It'd be great if wee could develop something with more than 4 engines.

B-52....

• Upvote 2

Proper afterburners

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Milviz said:

Proper afterburners

This is a bit vague...So I will elaborate on it.

For fast jets, there are 2 types of afterburners. Staged burners (like the F-18's 6 stages, the F-4's 4 stages, the F100-PW-220's 5 stages or -229s 11 stages), and linear variation, like the J85 in the T-38 or the F110-GE-129 which have basically unlimited precision selection between MIL and MAX. FSX only supported stages.

And another item I just thought of....If the rain without clouds could be fixed, and access to precipitation zone data in DirectX texture form for weather radar displays provided....If the actual precipitation rate and directions could be simulated, would be even better for detecting windshear and turbulence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 7/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, simbol said:

I would also be nice if the SDK could support other 3D developing tools besides 3Dsmax, for example Blender as it would allow many more freeware developers to contribute with the ecosystem

+1 for this request.  The community created an FSX model exporter for Blender and it would be nice to have this from the beginning with the new sim.  I made the Aerosoft DC-8 largely with Blender -- it's a great tool and free.  3Dsmax is just too expensive and does not offer any obvious advantage over Blender for model creation and texturing. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Michael Cependa said:

+1 for this request.  The community created an FSX model exporter for Blender and it would be nice to have this from the beginning with the new sim.  I made the Aerosoft DC-8 largely with Blender -- it's a great tool and free.  3Dsmax is just too expensive and does not offer any obvious advantage over Blender for model creation and texturing. 

I'll repeat what I said before, just make MSFS use standardized export formats. Like any other modern game engine. Examples: FBX, GLTF, Alembic, OBJ, USD. The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from, LOL.  No special exporters necessary. Use any 3D software you like.

But I fully agree 3dsMax is a non-starter for hobbyists, and the new Blender 2.8 looks awesome, but there are other nice options besides that also have good Indie or hobbyist licensing options.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, fs4fun said:

But I fully agree 3dsMax is a non-starter for hobbyists

MAXON recently drastically dropped the versions (all-in-one now) and price of their C4D (another surface modeling and animation tool) ... $60/mo vs. 3DSMax at $120/mo.

6 hours ago, fs4fun said:

The great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from, LOL.

The same can be said about programming languages ... lots of "standards" ... haha ... the Achilles heal of software engineering, someone always has a better way to do almost the same thing with a slight twist ... no one ever seems to want to "evolve" software, just start new with the software-de-jour and label it better because it's "new". XML was supposed to be the "standard" and self describing, but now everyone hates it just because it's "old" ... and the cycle continues.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

MAXON recently drastically dropped the versions (all-in-one now) and price of their C4D (another surface modeling and animation tool) ... $60/mo vs. 3DSMax at $120/mo.

9 hours ago, fs4fun said:

Nice, I'll have to take a look. Prices have been falling as this stuff gets more commodity, and with Blender that's more downward pressure.

Guys, what has any of this got to do with "What developers want".. Can we get back on topic. If Microsoft are reading this then I'm sure they don't want to pile through non-related topics

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I hid our posts that discussed programming languages and computers because they were clearly off topic.  I will admit I too got caught up in something that is dear to my heart and didn't use my Moderator head. However, I was wrong.

I hated to do it but that is a subject for another thread in the hardware and programming sections.