Sign in to follow this  
JB3DG

What developers want

Please identify yourself as a commercial or freeware developer in your posts. 

I don't want to remove a legitimate post. 

Thanks for your cooperation. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

14 hours ago, Milviz said:

...no more issues with materials with the same name having to have one different parameter in order to be exported...

Providing an option to "disable optimization" for such materials would accomplish this nicely.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Freeward/hobbyist here. I've worked with other game engines. I'm pasting this from the other "want" thead.

Make the SDK work with standard 3D export formats. Then we can use any 3D tool we please. Get rid of the old-school .X/MDL export plugin rubbish. Also, support PBR workflows in tools like Substance and Quixel.

Script in a decent language like Python or C#. With proper logging and a debugger please. Support plugins written in C++, with modern API's that don't look like they were designed in 1986.

Get rid of all closed proprietary binary formats. Make config files use JSON or YAML. Please no more yucky XML.

Please consider a more flexible and extensible shader pipeline, including compute and geometry shaders.

• Like 4

Barry Friedman

Hello Microsoft,

Apart from the things that have already been mentioned, here's what I would like to see:

1. The same freedom when it comes to publishing and marketing our add-ons.

2. Access to the sound engine, so we don't have to come up with our own solutions. Including the option to loop a sound an adjust volume and pitch dynamically.

3. The ability to override engine and system variables - i.e. a more complete simConnect, with an extensive documentation.

• Like 2

wing42_logo_smaller.png

www.wing42.com

- Smooth sdk production pipeline from 3dsmax

- Advanced FX including custom lights, particles

- Advanced animations to include rigged human characters with bones

- Conditional events/objects (with lots of variables)

- Method to avoid add-ons fighting each other (particularly the current enraging AFCAD issue with add-ons overwriting each other)

- a lot more but it's Friday and my brain has already checked out

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

- More options to provide realistic AI Traffic (Airplane (IFR/VFR), Heli, and Seaplane) -> enroute as well as on ground

- Better access to the AI-System of the Sim for external tools, overwriting some decisions from the Sim.

- Referring to the old FSX, beeing able to give back the controll of an AI object to the internal AI-System

- SDK for the ATC (Voice and Text) maybe the option to add more ATC Message-Types

Kai (Lead Developer of AIGTech)

Edited by Kaiii3
  • Like 4

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

-Realistic helicopter flight dynamics (we want to fly backwards for CAT A procedure without a 180° spin)

-Structured SDK with good sample files

-Engine declaration for multi turbine helicopters; N1, N2, engine type, transmission, powershaft values, gearbox, rotor RPM, TRQ, correlator/governor ect

-Attachment method for aircraft objects (wheight and balance)

-More options for animations (  flexible leather cover on a flight stick)

-Shared cockpit variables for all related systems

-New Sound engine and flexible sound emmersion

-Model files that are protected for decompiling

-Standard 3D file support max,obj,fbx,dae

-PBR options for specular or metalness workflow

Julian Commercial developer alias Rotorhead135 (Lead Artist Delta Hotel Simulations)

• Like 2

Freeware dev,

Personally, as a beginner a few years ago i felt it as a great help and high motivation already to could create complex panels with the relatively simple XML code for FSX!
I think that the future success of this simulator also depends on the offspring and should not be underestimated! So i think it would be a good idea to give the people also for this simulator a "language" which allows them to get started without much programming knowledge!

• Like 2

My request , A new Effects Tool , to this day I still boot up FSX to make use of that tool to rough out effects for use in all sims.

Best CJ

• Like 3

For the love of all things good, please allow us to create custom landing and taxi lights! Having only one un-modifiable "fx_landing.fx" is just lame and frustrating...

• Like 6

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Dick Ludowise here. Freeware tool developer.

A small favor I would ask.

I'm guessing there will be some ability to have object's display controlled by variables. P3D has already fleshed out methods to control both material and model depending on some system variables. The problem is seasons are controlled by a seasons.bgl, but object displays (and effects) have no access to that variable. Instead we have to guess the season by it's location and date. If you put it there for us, we can have dog houses with snow at the proper time, and leaves falling from the trees when appropriate, ice on the lakes when needed, shriveled gardens in the summer.

Also, please simplify the Autogen Annotator. It sucks.

• Like 3

As a freeware developer since FS98 I truly want some built inn tools that enables editing scenery, airports and buildings in real time inside the sim using stock library objects and textures. Functionality to place autogen in real time would be great also.

In time I'd also like to see a building editor to create custom 3D buildings (something like the tool you use to create buildings in The Sims). 

Freeware has always been the cornerstone of the FS community. It is how many professional developers got to cut their teeth, and unless the new FS by some magic has the entire world simulated in glorious detail, freeware is needed to fill in the blanks. 

Having some nice and easy tools will enable developers like myself to quickly make a decent version of my local GA airport/strip so we can use the sim for training. Making custom 3D buildings is time consuming enough as it is. 

Also, easy to use tools incorporated into the sim will give 1000s of amateurs the ability to create scenery for their home airport, town or village. A hobby I'm sure many would enjoy just as much as the flying. I hope the old way of using a huge collection of external tools just to get the ILS of your local airport correct, or add a few local scenery landmarks, is history 🙂

Thanks and good luck. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

forgot one more important point:

- communication between the MS Developers and freeware/payware developers. Without making a difference between payware devs and freeware devs. I think we all can agree that the FS Community has become this big and great thanks to all the freeware developers

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

Dynamic control over FX parameters like brightness/cone and to shift/rotate a particular light's position/orientation values. Useful for landing lights, logo lights, instrument lights.

Oh and please pleeeease pleeeeeeeeeeease provide for callbacks synced to the sim physics thread with access to the function for getting total elapsed sim time at the sub second accuracy....

Edited by JB3DG
  • Like 2

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion