Sign in to follow this  
Lidad97

Nearly no FPS in P3Dv4

Dear P3D Community:

I´m writing in this forum because I have no other idea anymore how to fix my P3Dv4 and I hope that somebody of you can help me. I`m already despairing:(

The problem are as written in the title low FPS. Which does not mean 20-30 FPS, I would be very happy if I would have so many.... . I have on ground between 6 and 12 FPS, in the air up to 25, and I have no idea why. Simulator settings are according Simmershome settings, a few already below. AI Traffic is installed but has no impact on my FPS, I see no difference without it, same applies for the P3D setting, it doesn´t matter what I change, the only setting, where you can see a difference is if you turn Off the autogen building and vegetation density, then I receive about 20 FPS on ground, but without that I don´t need P3D, then I can use also FS98.

Computersystem:

CPU: Intel Xeon X5650 SLBV3 2,66 GHz/12MB Cache CPU Processor Sockel 1366 overclocked to 3,6 GHz

GPU: GeForce RTX2060

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz DIMM 240-Pin RAM

P3Dv4 is installed on a 1TB SSD. I´m using P3Dv4 together with several addons (All ORBX Global Range Addons; Germany North/South; Pacific Northwest; Southern Alaska; REX SkyForce; Active Sky; Airport Addons and Aircraft Addons like PMDG 737 or Captain Sim 757)

I recently changed my computersystem, before I used:

CPU: Intel Core I7 4790 4x 3,6 GHz

GPU: 2x GTX 960

but also compared with my older system, I can´t see any difference in the performance.

Hope there is anybody who can help me to fix this issue, I really have no idea what to do anymore and I´m really despairing:(((

Thank you and always happy landings

Elias

Check task manager to see if other things are running... Something is stealing all the power. You should see much better FPS. I just had almost the same system. As far as an improvement from the old system... I am sorry to say you wont get much... same speed prcessor, and the better GPU will only help in bad weather.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I would start by turning off the addons, and go a standard airport, say KTPA in a Mooney, as an initial test.

If you cannot get 30 fps there.. you've got a problem somewhere..

If you do, start adding in your favorite addons one at a time, and track performance as you go..

My guess is that you are overloading your system..

Bert

1 hour ago, Lidad97 said:

Simulator settings are according Simmershome settings, 

I'd like to know what those are - as was said they might be too much for your system. 

1 hour ago, Lidad97 said:

Computersystem:

CPU: Intel Xeon X5650 SLBV3 2,66 GHz/12MB Cache CPU Processor Sockel 1366 overclocked to 3,6 GHz

That's an older Xeon cpu, its a Nehalem core from the 2010-2012 time period.   Akin to the old 9xx series desktop cpu's only not clocked as high.

Xeon's often don't make the best P3D cpu's, as Xeons tend to focus on multithread performance as opposed to single-thread.  You are only getting 3.6 ghz, at an IPC (instructions per clock) on a par with an Intel 9xx cpu.  I am not surprised at your results.

You can post your settings, and maybe we can get you at reasonable slider settings to get you some better performance.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I still use the X5670 although at 4.3Ghz overclocked. (22x 196FSB @ 1.37V from memory)

I was using a GTX 1060 but changed to a RTX 2070 Super just a few days ago. It sounds like something is not right with his setup. Even before upgrading the graphics card I was getting decent frames. My settings are here: (ignore the resolution.. I use these exact same settings on a 1080p monitor): https://ibb.co/album/eCnBrF

The main difference between upgrading the card.. I get no performance hit at all from running Ultra Shadows and 4xSSA. I have therefore increased the shadow settings.

Some things I can think of, check your windows version is up to date along with your drivers first, also look for any heavy tasks running in the background. Check also how hard your CPU is being pushed by P3D.. you should be seeing high utilization on most of your cores.

Hey Guys:

thank you for your fast answer and all the recommendations until now. I checked the task manager already, there are no unusual programs running which costs power. I also tried to start in KTPA in a Mooney, I received 25 FPS in Cockpit view with fair weather.

And because of my hardware, we switched my I7 CPU to an overclocked Intel Xeon because we wanted to try a cheap solution first. But already mentioned, you can not see any difference. What would be your recommendation, changing back to my old I7 CPU, staying with my Intel Xeon or buying a new CPU, if buying a new one, which would be recommended and useful?

Changing the settings is not really an option anymore because the only setting which makes a Frame difference is autogen building/vegetation density off. Or/And Scenery complexity to very sparse, but if you want to see addon airports you need at least Scenery Complexity normal.

Thanks again for your answers and time until now:)

Kind regards

Elias

Edited by Lidad97
  • Like 1

Despite my post above.. I was planning on changing my CPU/Motherboard/Memory to the 9700K. Although at the moment it's really not a great time to upgrade... with Intels 10th Gen CPU's on the horizon. So, personally I am waiting a bit to see what arrives in the next few months.

In your case, it is vexing.. you should be getting, if not stella performance at least acceptable performance from your hardware. Have you considered trying a more aggressive overclock? Aiming for 4Ghz? If your chip just won't do it, then one thing you might consider.. replace it with an ebay Xeon X5670 or X5675. These can be picked up for only $20-$40.

Well, whoever gave you this "tipp" to switch from a 4790 to an older Xeon should be beaten daily... Yet your FPS are a little low.

First thing I would do in your case: open the prepar3d.cfg and add these two lines on top of it:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=1365

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

What size are your cloud textures?

I was having fps issues recently until i turned off dense cirrus overcast layer in rex environment force. Can't remember if it is an option in skyforce. If it is turn it off. Are you running fixed fps or unlimited? What resolution are you using? AA etc?

There's a whole ton of stuff you might be able to scale back to improve fps without sacrificing the visuals too much!

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

Go back to your 4790k and o/c it to at least 4.5 Ghz. That is what I have and it runs fine in P3D at 4k resolution.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Short update from my side, I finally found a way to improve my FPS to a level where I can at least fly somehow. It´s still far away from perfect but I can live with that.

The only thing I did was putting

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 and

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8 in my CFG.

I of course tried also all the other Tipp's, Affinity Mask did unfortunately not work for me, also turning down the clouds or playing with AA was also without any effect. By the way, I´m running P3D with fixed FPS (But also here, I tried both, I couldn´t see a difference in my FPS)

However thank you soooo much for the support. I´m now satisfied with the situation and will wait until the 10th generation of Intel CPUs is released.

Thanks once again and always happy landings

Elias

He Rob,

Regarding the AI Traffic, I created the traffic by myself, and I tried the P3D with and without the AI traffic installed. The Result, there was no visible difference. Installed P3D version is 4.5. If you can tell me how to upload screenshots to Avsim I will send you my settings:)

And finally my Addon List:

Others: Active Sky; REX Sky Force; Chaseplane; Edit Voicepack; AI Traffic; GSX

ORBX: Base Pack; Vector; Open LC Europe/North America/South America; Buildings HD; Trees HD; Germany North; Germany South; Southern Alaska; Pacific Northwest

Aircrafts: Aerosoft A318-A321; PMDG 737; PMDG 777; Captain Sim 757-200; Majestic Dash 8-Q400; Qualitywings 787

Airports: Aerosoft; FSDreamteam; FlyTampa; etc. (do you really want to know every single Airport that is installed, it will be a long list)

The idea with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP... is from a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvchlq3t1zc and so far it works for me, don´t really want to change it again.

Thx for your support:)

Cheers. Elias

Edited by Lidad97

2 hours ago, Lidad97 said:

The idea with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP... is from a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvchlq3t1zc and so far it works for me, don´t really want to change it again.

That video is giving you bad advice IMHO... Sorry. :wink:

As Rob said, you should remove that line from your config.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

have you done the organic carrots and potatoes fix 

14ppkc-6.png