Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

What We Want (Part 1)

Wondering about how sounds can play a part with immersive techniques. For example at one airport Cicadas might be part of background sound. In another part of the world, we might instead hear frogs croak, or the crash of tyres in the distance on a nearby fast road..

Imagine when the engines finally shut down after a flight we have total silence. But instead we might have signature background ambiance sounds mix if appropriately located?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It‘s probably been said before but I‘d like to see some (more) close-ups of ground textures (sand, gravel, snow, dust etc.). I wonder if they are dynamic and what it’s like to drive over them. I‘d love to land at Barra and have a „feeling“ of actually touching sand or land on a glacier in deep snow. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Obviously it would be pretty lame to suggest adding frog croaks and train driving to the sim. What I've been talking about is thinking of ways of drawing on cloud data from climate to culture. Using the latest sound techniques and appropriate positioning. Utilising views of the location other than from the seat of the plane in some way.

12 hours ago, domkle said:

Agreed, but it is rather strange today to hear frogs or ducks over a roaring T-6 😉  

Yeah I’m not too concerned about the sounds of bird, animals or insects. Once your in a plane and have your headset on you can’t hear any of that stuff anyways. Heck, even doing a preflight I don’t ever notice the sound of anything other than planes and ground vehicles.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 hours ago, LHookins said:

Stock FSX Sitka (PASI) has ambient marina(?) sounds which is pretty cool.  I've heard them a few other places as well.  I'm not going to complain if we get appropriate ambient sounds as it really does add a bit of atmosphere.

When I visit my local small airport (F00) I don't notice any sounds other than the occasional aircraft.

Hook

Then that's the sound of ambiance I'm talking about. You can hear stuff.

That's what Im talking about.

A truthful ambiance mix from location and position. Not frogs, frogs and cicadas was just some examples of noises around, to bring out the idea police. Ambiance noise - I hear it.

Another common sound I mentioned was nearby fast roads, they have a distant roar and give an indication of time of day. I notice that OK depending.

The simulator can supply a true mixed ambiance channel depending on location, time, everything they can get.

If we are not nearby anything other than a noisy plane then we only hear that plane - to me that is as obvious as ears sticking out of heads.

Then there's the boring scene in the simulator scenario or flight selection, or settings pages and so on. A screen with some buttons, like being in a lift, what floor do we want?

Clever cut scenes from the sim could be implemented running in the background showing, maybe where you are located, perhaps a scan of the airport and your plane position, maybe arrive by chopper, or from transport going into airport, was an idea to liven up the lift scenes.

Choosing a plane we could see a scan through a hangar with them all polished up ready to go. Not something to sit through, something going on in the page. Just thinking out loud.

Maybe a touch OTT for some, I agree. But, I was thinking because the sim has an almost limitless back end data system that can pull on any kind of information, we must move on from what we have already. Needs to think bigger and improve the attraction of the simulation for the new.

• Like 4

I want approach leading lights at least for most the famous approaches in the default sim:

- KJFK Canarsie

- MHTG 02

- LOWI 26

- LXGB 09

- LPMA 05

Those are the first I can think about

• Like 1

FSX lighting was fairly comprehensive. I'm hoping all the latest gear and technology will be in it.

Other ambiance sounds I've noticed: nearby sea high waves crash and sea birds are quite loud, nearby rivers in high flow can be heard at a distance, nearby cities distant horns and sirens. In reality we are unlikely to hear much but at small remote airstrips in N.America I can hear Bigfoot.

Edited by SteveW

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:12 AM, Anders Bermann said:

Oh please! You're comparing apples and oranges!

Don't want to be rude, but I think your argument is invalid.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

What a heck of a stream this is.  I wouldn't blame MSFS for dropping the whole idea.

However my views given the hundreds already expressed are simple. Give us the best of P3D4 and XP11 on a new engine that only demands reasonable though high specs.  Forget backward compatability and take us into a new world.

• Like 4

I would like to add my requests for the new simulator (I hope they make sense):

• Full screen map, easy to scroll / drag and drop, with a search function to easily find VOR, intersections... and add them to the flightplan;

• Enabling automatic updates (like with Navigraph) and/or give the chance to modify information (e.g. COM, ILS frequencies) manually, directly inside the map;

• Allow the preparation of a flightplan with one/two alternative airports, with the route activating in the GPS not from the departing airport, but from the current position (or the nearest VOR, intersection...). Maybe the alternative airports, if chosen before the flight, could be listed in the ATC windows and be requested to the ATC (or suggested by the ATC itself if the weather conditions at the landing airport becomes bad or the airport closes) who will provide vectors to the first leg of the route;

• As many said before, it would be useful have a tablet mode to visualize maps, checklists, plane operating manuals... but if not possible, add a small editor (like notepad) to the kneeboard to add / save for the specific plane some notes, instructions, without the necessity to pause the simulator, minimize the windows and check for pdfs... This could be done both during in-flight or even before departure (like a sort of pre-flight briefing);

• Please, improve the fuel consumption estimator, at least for the basic models;

• Multi monitors: currently, every time we start FSX, we need to reconfigure the views for each monitors for center view, left view, instrumentations (or maybe I'm not able to do differently). It would be useful to set and save a standard configuration for multi monitors or, better, one for each plane.
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

48 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

Some sort of iPad app made by the Microsoft team themselves would be lovely. 

What would the app do?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

38 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

What would the app do?

maybe various things depending on what you are doing in the sim. It could be an electronic flight bag, a moving map, an FMC?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1