Sign in to follow this  
TextRich

View suddenly switches to "in clouds" when clouds are nearby.

A new pet peeve of mine with FSX ever since I started real-world flying lessons is when I fly below low clouds.  For example I am at an altitude of 3,000 feet MSL and the clouds' base is 4,000 feet.  I feel like I have sufficient separation from those clouds but if I get too close, all of a sudden my entire visibility from the virtual cockpit is all grey (to simulate being inside a cloud, similar to what I see out of the windows of passenger jets).  In a recent real-life I flew above the clouds and as long as I stayed away from those clouds to comply with VFR flight rules, I could still see my surroundings.  I was much closer to the actual clouds than I was when flying in FSX.  What fixes or workarounds do you use to reduce the incidences of you view suddenly thinking you had flown inside a cloud when you have not yet flown inside a cloud?

For those of you who only use FSX without add-ons, the in-cloud view looks clear blue rather than grey.  One of my add-ons changed the color to grey for realism.

For everyone's reference I use those add-ons for my environment:

-Active Sky Next

-FSUIPC

-PrecipitFX

-REX Sky Force

-Steve's DirectX 10 Fixer

Thank you for any insight.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

3 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

I would suggest looking through the active sky next settings. 

Thanks Luke.  I have changed a few Visibility options and Cloud options in ASN.  I'll report back if I still get no joy.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors