Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSX - Video Functionality Request.

You know... I never use the FS9 Video functionality... cause I don't know what I am going to be doing is pretty or not.. moreover.. I cannot afford a slideshow on the account of it.But what if... You can record from the playback? Thats what I want. (If that is possible)Last night I flew the PMDG 747-400 into LAX (early morning) with the low fog as the sun was rising to the east... This was a manual landing... So it was not perfect... It looked like one of those KAI-TAK type landing..but still :)But it was specatular on the replay using Active Camera... Oh man.. I wish I could have recorded it. But I can't.Does that make sense?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest tdragger

Makes sense to me. I even dug into the code awhile back. It turns out that flight videos and instant reply are two completely different systems. It looks like they were created in two different FS 'eras'. Unification would be a good thing!

>Makes sense to me. I even dug into the code awhile back. It>turns out that flight videos and instant reply are two>completely different systems. It looks like they were created>in two different FS 'eras'. Unification would be a good>thing!In the meantime, there's a nice Recorder module available that will allow you to automatically record your flight, play it back (complete with ALL animations, sound and AI traffic!), and you may video record it during playback using Camtasia, Fraps, or any other third-party video capture/recording technique.It does a whole lot more than the above, even featuring a "loop" capability. You can also SAVE your "recording" to hard drive and play it back later. You can even change the time and weather for your playback! Record in daytime, VFR conditions, and playback at night with full IMC conditions! ;) You can even change aircraft if you want!And... you can share your "recording" with your friends, as long as they have the recorder module installed... ;)It will "autorecord" all flights up to XXXX seconds (configurable), or you can set up a "manual recording" using hotkeys to start/stop the recording (of infinite length), and it will be auto-saved to your hard drive with whatever name you specify. Imaging recording a complete trans-atlantic flight... :) The length of the recording is limited only to the available space on your hard drive.http://www.neusinger.net/recorder

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Caveman

tdragger and pixelpoke:If you want some good ideas about vid recording, check out the IL-2 series simulations (currently "ends" with Pacific Fighters).These guys developed a great recording/playback feature into their sim that was very flexible and allowed cameras to be placed anywhere you wanted them (including height also)...It's a great feature that allowed so much replay value to the sim and was soley responsible for spinning off a whole subculture of professionally done aviation movies, which became a free advertisement for the sim...Also look into the way these guys handled the "flyby" mode... Good implementation...One thing they never figured out (yet) is to be able to rewind on the fly... Only fast fwd...

Guest Bell206freak

While we're on the subject...Is there a way to code it into FS (if not this then the next release) the ability to capture a video in-flight and have the end file be in a *.WMV or *.AVI format?It'd be much easier, and easier on those who cannot afford payware 3rd party capture programs.

> Is there a way to code it into FS (if not this then the next release) the ability to capture a video in-flight and have the end file be in a *.WMV or *.AVI format?That would be a big file. I believe in Battlefield 2 you can record videos into much smaller files. Small enough you can easily email them to people.

>>In the meantime, there's a nice Recorder module available that>will allow you to automatically record your flight, play it>back (complete with ALL animations, sound and AI>traffic!), and you may video record it during playback>using Camtasia, Fraps, or any other third-party video>capture/recording technique.>>It does a whole lot more than the above, even featuring a>"loop" capability. You can also SAVE your "recording" to hard>drive and play it back later. You can even change the time>and weather for your playback! Record in daytime, VFR>conditions, and playback at night with full IMC conditions! ;)> You can even change aircraft if you want!>>And... you can share your "recording" with your friends, as>long as they have the recorder module installed... ;)>>It will "autorecord" all flights up to XXXX seconds>(configurable), or you can set up a "manual recording" using>hotkeys to start/stop the recording (of infinite length), and>it will be auto-saved to your hard drive with whatever name>you specify. Imaging recording a complete trans-atlantic>flight... :) The length of the recording is limited only to>the available space on your hard drive.>>http://www.neusinger.net/recorder>Hi Bill.The only thing I am familiar with is FRAPS... I like FRAPS.. it does a good job, except it reduced my 20FPS to a 5FPS... which is like a slideshow. another thing is... I have a 24" Widescreen monitor having its 1920 x 1200 Pixels. It has a limited resolution. But that ain't too bad. Whatever it recorded, the resolution was fairly acceptable...but the FPS was not.Maybe... If I had a 50FPS second to being with... then that wouldn't be a problem.When I tried the FRAPS on my laptop running FS9 that has no addons of any kind, it gave me 30fps.. which was ok.BTW.. I am going to try that http://www.neusinger.net/recorder to see if there would be any performance cost.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>BTW.. I am going to try that http://www.neusinger.net/recorder>to see if there would be any performance cost.Well, there's no "performance cost" while recording or playing back at all.The only time there is a "hit" is when trying to capture the playback with FRAPS, Camtasia, or other 3rd party program.If you have a digital video camera, and your video card has the correct output, that's the best way to capture video from FS9 without any performance hit.I've actually used a VHS tape to capture video, but the results weren't all that stellar... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator