Sign in to follow this  
David B

Improve VR Graphics in P3D 4.5

Hey folks, recently just tried my Pimax 5k+ in P3d 4.5.   The cockpit image looked hideous!  Very pixelated.

I do have the VR setting in P3D, also when I select VR settings..P3D will lock and then crash to desktop. I'm going to try and to another

install of P3d4.5x. Don't have any add-ons loaded right now, this is stock P3D. I have a pretty strong machine.  I9 9900X(yes, X not K)  OC to 4.5.(Best I can get with water cooling)

2080Ti video card(GB Auros) water cooled as well. 32GB of DDR4 Ram 3200hz X299 motherboard. I believe I have the horsepower to run things OK. Those using VR,

how do you improve the graphics in VR with p3D 4.5.   Surely, you can make the cockpits and scenery look better.  I'm using asn LG monitor native reso:2560x1080.

Is there a seperate place to change VR resolution? Or is it done via steam VR. I'm jsut running Pitools right now to launch p3D.

Any help greatly appreciated.  I did some forum searches, but not too successful on my query.

Best,

David

I have the new Rift S and 2070 Super.  Cockpit looks super sharp but P3D has to change its rendering engine.  Right now it is like putting lipstick on a pig and expecting the pig to fly (this is what P3D engine is right now)

Try DCS.  VR is absolutely amazing in it!!!!

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Not really an alternative to civil aviation. I got heavy motion sickness from the dogfighting in DCS.

As for the original question: I don't know how good the Pimaxes resolution is, but you need to find the setting for the VR Supersampling which should be somewhere in the headset's software.

With the Oculus Rift S for example the default settings are way too low and make the gauges hard to read which is why one has to use Oculus Tray tools to crank up the supersampling.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I can't say much, but P3D VR issues haven't gone un-noticed with LM, they're working on it.

Cheers, Rob.

I hope they are fixing the issues with dynamic lighting in VR. You get a weird effect since the light is different on each eye. (in single pass rendering)

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Hey folks, Thanks for the info.   I am making some progress. I reinstalled a fresh 4.5. Installed new Pimax software as well.

Initially had the Commander 114 cockpit showing up and looking pretty good. However, as I attempted to adjust some settings, I now have black helmet thingy....I can't seem to get rid of it!

I've tried all the suggestions on P3d forums and here...nothing is working to get rid of that helmet frame thing.

Tried all the different Pimax settings, nothing seems to work right now!   Not sure what I did to turn on that helmet thingy.

Any ideas appreciated.

Best,

David

EDIT:  Well, not sure what I did. managed to get rid of that mask thingy...yeah!  I think it was turning of the mask thing in Pitools...not sure. Don't want to mess with it.

What can I adjust to make the instrument readings not quite so shimmery. At least now making progress.

Thanks.

David

Edited by David B
Update
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David B said:

Tried all the different Pimax settings, nothing seems to work right now!   Not sure what I did to turn on that helmet thingy.

Any ideas appreciated.

Try adjusting the SteamVR resolution setting as high as you can until your GPU gets close to MAX %.

1. Under SteamVR > Settings > Video > Application Resolution manual override. ... 

I use a Pimax 8k with great results. Cockpit is clear along with outside the window scenery.

Took me a little while to find the sweet spot. I run a very high steamVR resolution but dial back some of the long distance graphic slides in P3D that are not really visible anyway.

I have an OC9900k and 2080ti which preform very well. Thick thunder clouds occasionally cause a stutter now and again.

IM

• Like 1

Thanks Iceman. Making some progress. Got my MU-2 loaded again. Just like being in the real thing. :-)

I'll continue to play with settings. Got a pretty powerful machine, so should be able to push a little more.\

Might try Pitools on 2.0 and adjust from there.   Newest .180 seems to be working OK for me.

VR definitely adds a new dimension. I fly for a living, so this is a lot more realistic now.

When I get my PtCTRL, shouldn't have to use the mouse anymore. Should be fun.

Best,

David

• Like 1

When i fly p3d, it’s VR exclusive. Works pretty well. PiMax is a bit more experimental than the mainstream headsets, but sounds like you’re up for the challenge!

i’m using odyssey+, Rift S and CV1, with good effect.

Supersampling settings and single pass versus stereo are the main variables you have to play with. From memory, the highest water setting works poorly but i’m generally happy with the current results - certainly happy enough to not fly in pancake mode! 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Try adjusting the SteamVR resolution setting as high as you can until your GPU gets close to MAX %.

1. Under SteamVR > Settings > Video > Application Resolution manual override. ... 

I use a Pimax 8k with great results. Cockpit is clear along with outside the window scenery.

Took me a little while to find the sweet spot. I run a very high steamVR resolution but dial back some of the long distance graphic slides in P3D that are not really visible anyway.

I have an OC9900k and 2080ti which preform very well. Thick thunder clouds occasionally cause a stutter now and again.

IM

Iceman what FOV are you able to achieve without many stutters in the Pimax? Thanks.

3 hours ago, glider1 said:

Iceman what FOV are you able to achieve without many stutters in the Pimax? 

Hi Glider, I’m currently using “wide” which is 200 FOV. Unfortunately this can cause clipping depending on which aircraft you sit in. For example sitting in the PMDG B747 I get a slight clipping which requires a move of the eye position (head down a bit) to avoid this, whereas sitting in the Maddog its fine and the 200 FOV is simply awesome. 

There is definitely a performance hit by selecting wide mode over normal mode but with the 2080ti it handles the torture very well.

IM

Edited by Iceman2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Iceman2 said:

Hi Glider, I’m currently using “wide” which is 200 FOV. Unfortunately this can cause clipping depending on which aircraft you sit in. For example sitting in the PMDG B747 I get a slight clipping which requires a move of the eye position (head down a bit) to avoid this, whereas sitting in the Maddog its fine and the 200 FOV is simply awesome. 

There is definitely a performance hit by selecting wide mode over normal mode but with the 2080ti it handles the torture very well.

IM

Thanks!

Taking delivery of my new rig in a few hours.  It's an I9 10850 w/ RTX3080 . Will need help w/ optimum setting for graphics P3dv4.5.  Also for the Oculus Rift S 

Is there anything else I should get for better flight deck resolution?  I came here to seeking insight but all these acronyms drive me crazy!!  What the heck is a :

DCS https://public.cyber.mil/dcs/

Pimax PIMAX | Pioneer High Income Municipal Fund;A Overview | MarketWatch

CV1  https://www.courtesyproducts.com/order.php?view=item&ItemID=484

Taking delivery of my new rig in a few hours.  It's an I9 10850 w/ RTX3080 . Will need help w/ optimum setting for graphics P3dv4.5.  Also for the Oculus Rift S 

Is there anything else I should get for better flight deck resolution?  I came here to seeking insight but all these acronyms drive me crazy!!  What the heck is a :

DCS

Pimax

CV1