Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Water : FS20 could make a difference here

Water has always been the poor cousin in the FS family world of sceneries (incl. P3D). 

The high seas colors and swell are barely OK as seen from altitude but the costal areas (incl. tidal basins, marshlands, corals etc.) and inland rivers/deltas (silt) nowhere close to the real world  and difficult to improve in a LC world with a grain no finer than 1.44 km. I suppose that the aerial/sat imagery will help.

Also the waves crashing on beaches are out of a bad cartoon. 

But more important than these two issues the friction physics  and the absence of real 3D waves agitated by the wind (strength, direction) make  floatplanes takeoffs and landings very arcadish. And if I remember it well, it was better in FSX than now. I'd love to  see somethingg to be done here.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

P3D uses Triton by Sundog-soft, sure LM does not use the full feature set of the SDK, but the waves changes with the wind.

3d waves are usually pretty performance heavy, even in previous ship simulators their amount shown in any scene were limited to a hundred meters at best or so. I woudn't expect a similar detail on them on a flight sim, even if it has float planes but sure we can hope for technology to keep moving forward and MFS with it 🙂

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 minutes ago, france89 said:

3d waves are usually pretty performance heavy, even in previous ship simulators their amount shown in any scene were limited to a hundred meters at best or so. I woudn't expect a similar detail on them on a flight sim, even if it has float planes but sure we can hope for technology to keep moving forward and MFS with it 🙂

I sure hope so.

The water representation is very unrealistic in every one of the sims. 

Edited by irrics
  • Upvote 1

I think the biggest thing with water is with taking off and landing seaplanes. Never seems to work properly with me in the water

• Upvote 2

I really hope we'll see wind effects on the water, like in the real world where you can see patches of waves or even white horses in very windy conditions. For me this would really add to the realism. Don't get me wrong, the water so far looks great. It just seems very samey whatever the weather conditions are like.

• Like 1

As beautiful as the sim looks, it would be great to have very good water and wave depiction in order to have the ability to use boats in the sim. Could you imagine how awesome it would be to go boating in a lake, river, harbor, etc., within the stunning environment that MSFS will offer? In fact, MS could create a party barge multiplayer where people could be avatars on a party boat and argue about VR or seasons in the sim. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I hope they implement particles ..

Hopefully with a bit more skill than my efforts below...

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

16 minutes ago, smoothchat said:

I hope they implement particles ..

...that look much better than that

6 minutes ago, irrics said:

...that look much better than that

Oh well, we can only work with the tools and the skills that we have. 😥

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

6 minutes ago, smoothchat said:

well we can only work with the tools and the skills that we have. 😥

Please don't take it personally - I didn't mean it that way.

As a seaplane pilot myself, I find the visual representation in that XP video - umm...  extremely subpar and inaccurate.

Edited by irrics

4 minutes ago, irrics said:

As a seaplane pilot myself, I find the visual representation in that XP video - umm...  extremely subpar and inaccurate.

You should see how sub par it looks without the particles 😉

Just now, smoothchat said:

You should see how sub par it looks without the particles 😉

It's all so bad, even with particles, that I've never even bothered with seaplanes in any flight sims (to date).

Let's hope the devs spot this thread and rise to the challenge for all of us seaplane devotees 😁

• Upvote 1