Sign in to follow this  
Guest robertsflight

Flight Plan feature

Guest robertsflight

Hello to all and many thanks to AVSIM for a great resource. Also its great to see ACES members sharing their insight here. This is not a request but a suggestion that I hope others might find interesting and/or usefull. Prior to entering a flight plan I usually download weather. (Just as in real world - pilots check the weather before making a plan)When entering a flight plan inside MSFS could there be an addition of reported weather at the destination airport? Add to that a possiblity to add one of the approaches that already exists in the GPS (default GPS500) database for a particular runway in use at the destination, the flight plan would be even greater. Of course since weather can, and does change we can always select a new approach in flight if needed.Again thanks for the great forum AVSIM and great day to all.

Guest robertsflight

OK, it seems that weather at destination may not be that interesting to most of you, or maybe there is a way to that already? The only reason I am asking is because in real world flying I checked the weather for the trip first. That included the departure (we have that now), enroute (not possible currently I think-please correct me if I am wrong), and the destination- before even making a flight plan. Lots of people here seem to be interested in bringing more reality to the FS so I thought that proper flight planning could be a good strating point. Currently in FS I can only check the destination weather by moving my aircraft there then jumping back to my origination point which is not quite "as real as it gets". Any thoughts? Thanks.Robert

Since you're using real world weather, why not simply dial up the toll free AWOS service and find out?NOTE: I just checked and they are eliminating the free access effective February 6... Darn!Now that would be "as real as it gets!" ;)1-877-ANY-AWOSThere's a FANTASTIC new service that's FREE. The service called "anyAWOS" lets pilots call a toll-free number and listen to any AWOS/ASOS or ATIS in the continental United States that has a public phone number. After dialing the number, you're asked to input the three digit airport identifier using your telephone keypad. A list of airports will be presented, and you select the appropriate one. Your call is immediately transferred to the that airport's weather service. While the call is being connected you'll listen to a short advertisement of one of the service sponsors. A small price to pay for the convenience.www.anyawos.com

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest robertsflight

Thanks for the info, I'll try that.The only thing though, is that sometimes the "real" weather is not as real as it is outside so that inside sim weather reporting might be more real-:) Plus it would work with saved flights (that were saved because you liked the weather on that day)Thanks again for your info.