Sign in to follow this  
glsimpilot

You WON'T need a whole new system!

Guest Chief Wiggum

Quoting a news article from www.fsstation.com :"The most important thing is that you will be able to run Vista, and Flight Simulator X, provided that you have a fairly new system -- because of the performance improvements, you won't need to buy a whole new system to run the upcoming version of Windows and Flight Simulator!"Makes me a little less worried, but we'll have to wait and see... :)

If you remember what they said the minumum requirements were for Win XP, vs what it really took to get adequate performance. If in fact the whole desktop is in 3d, then you better have a decent graphics card. Of course, that's no big deal if you are running FSX in full screen, but for geenral Vista usage it will make a difference.scott s..

...and FSStation is in the know, how??, LOLLooks like you might have to at least get a new vid card as Mike has also stated that there is no current card that is DX10 compatable, so indeed, we will have to wait and see.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

>...and FSStation is in the know, how??, LOL>>Looks like you might have to at least get a new vid card as>Mike has also stated that there is no current card that is>DX10 compatable, so indeed, we will have to wait and see.>>Regards, Michael>KDFW>>http://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpg>CalVirAir Internationalaccording to them, both DX9 and 10 will be supported. So you at least have to have a current video card that supports DX9, but not everyone will have to rush out to get a DX10 video card right away

Yes, but who wants to fly the next version and not be able to take advantage of the new features graphically? To do this you will need to have a DX10 compliant vid card. Granted you will be able to have some of the new graphics with DX9, but one thing I have learned, running a sim/game at full tilt is the only way to go, pacific fighters in perfect mode is amazing.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

I don't think I need to claim myself an expert in *anything* MSFS related to feel confident in saying any flight simulator MS releases is going to put most computer systems to the test. Especially at max or close to max settings. Heavy WX and Traffic added to the mix. Then throw in add-on utilities, planes, scenery, and flight sim is just a HOSS. A 360 degree resource HOG. Sometimes I think people spend more time trying to tweak their systems than actually flying the simulator.I love MSFS, have been in the mix for many many versions, starting many years ago. But the last few version releases have come for me right around the time I go through a PC upgrade. Same thing will happen now. I have been saving my pennies so to speak for the last few months with the anticipation that sometime in 2006, or 2007 the new MSFS would be coming out and I was going to want to have the most PC power I could afford at the time.My suggestion, start saving your pennies for an upgrade around holiday season time.:-)

My last two computers were purchased solely because a new version of Flight Sim was released.I am actually kind of grateful that the MSFS development team took 3+ years to release this version - kinda gives me a break on the upgrade cycle.I am bracing myself about the likely need to buy a $600.00 vid card for this.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest tomyeah

the more screenshots i see the more it looks like fs9 somehow. i doubt you will need a $600 vid card, except the new shader effects i can hardly see any diffrences in the visual appearance.

Guest Knikolaes

My roommate upstairs just dug out an old computer that still has Windows 3.1 . . . and a VERY old version of FS on it. he booted that sucker up and I learned REAL quick to appreciate my system . . . Vista looks like it is going to rock.

Guest koorby

You won't need a new PC to run FSX. What in the world is giving you that idea? Target launch platform is Windows XP with Direct 9.1c or perhaps a revision of DX9. When you start FSX and pull all the sliders to the left, it will look like FS9. As you drag sliders to the right more DX9 calls API will be invoked, mostly hardware T&L stuff. It's nothing that any generation card after a GeforceMX440 or Radeon 8500 can't deal with. Nuff said. Can we stop with the FUD now?

Just talking from experience, and how I like to configure my MSFS. Now you won't need a new PC if you have a high end one now. Maybe something you built in the last year to six months. But like me, I rebuild when new MSFS is released usually so for me Im running a late 2003/early 2004 period machine. High end at the time but I certainly want to get away from the AGP 9800XT and head over to the PCI express for example. For me, yes, especially with it being another 10,11,12 months before FSX comes out, I will require another machine.http://www.lemosnet.com/misc/gpilotsig.jpg