Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

No "DVD check" please!

You're one of the few then. Most people I know (and that's many people in the IT industry) pride themselves on never buying anything, pirating everything.They consider me weird for refusing on principle to touch anything that's pirated.

Guest Paul Heaney

I highly doubt he's one of the FEW, as you put it.

If he weren't Microsoft wouldn't bother with expensive piracy protection tools and neither would almost everyone else in the industry who has survived over the last decade or so.

Yes, that is an excellent idea. Seven DVDs of global terrain and mesh data are available for X-Plane, so I see no reason why this isn't possible for FSX.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

>If he weren't Microsoft wouldn't bother with expensive piracy>protection tools and neither would almost everyone else in the>industry who has survived over the last decade or so.Well it seems like software vendors put piracy prevention in to protect themselves from all the other dodgy IT people rather than Joe public! :-lol

That is correct. Those dodgy IT people create the pirated versions Joe Average uses because Joe isn't capable of producing those pirated versions on his own.

>That is correct. Those dodgy IT people create the pirated>versions Joe Average uses because Joe isn't capable of>producing those pirated versions on his own.You've already said that most people you know (and that's many people in the IT industry) pride themselves on never buying anything, pirating everything so it is all an inside job. :( :-lol :-) :-lol

Guest Paul Heaney

I'm not sure which end of his body he's talking out of. Seems like jwenting has all the answers. Amazing!

>jwenting wrote:>You're one of the few then. Most people I know (and that's>many people in the IT industry) pride themselves on never>buying anything, pirating everything.>They consider me weird for refusing on principle to touch>anything that's pirated.>Can I assume you've done your part and turned them in? With all the people you know breaking the laws that govern and protect, you could strike a serious blow to the IT industry and save us all.

Guest davidvoogd

No one is saying there isn't a lot of piracy, so I don't see the point on debating that. All I'm saying is don't punish the legal purchaser. We all know no-cd cracks come out quite fast after a game / simulator's release, so those who pirate it aren't impacted at all and it's only the legitimate user that is impacted by this ancient ineffective antipiracy technique.

>You're one of the few then. Most people I know (and that's>many people in the IT industry) pride themselves on never>buying anything, pirating everything.>They consider me weird for refusing on principle to touch>anything that's pirated.>>bothered to look at the sales figures for this simulator lately?a personal opinion does not a concrete fact make

> If it comes to it, keep the CD check but don't, under>any circumstance, opt for an activation scheme. We have enough>trouble already reinstalling the payware addons - we don't>need, on top of that, to call MS every time we want to>reinstall. It's simple for me, if it requires activation I>won't buy it.>>DougOh come on, hehe -- you know in time you'll buy it. :-)

What is suprising to me is that everyone has missed a very important issue for those who try to steal the product, namely that is will be on DVD! How many? 1?2?6? Regardless think about this, if it is on DVD it will be MUCH MORE than 750 megs right? Your standard DVD holds many GIGS, some past 15 gigs. So, say those with fast lines somehow dl all the files they will now need a DVD burner and a up to date program to by pass any new copy protection the DVD (s) have. I say this fact alone will cut their loses more than half than staying on CD. So in my mind MS gains two great things by using the DVD format, one, limit the amount of users who are able to dl the product and two, the ablity to include much more textures.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

No there are some that hold more than 4.7. When you talk about dual layers you can reach 8.5 gigs. They are even working on getting more onto them but it is possible now to get 8.5 gigs.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|