Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

P3D V4.5 & Process Lasso

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, Mace said:

I have had better results moving other apps off Core0 (like Activesky, Chaseplane, etc.) via batch files, and let P3D use all available cores.

This. With the exception of some addons (in my case UT2), moving programs running alongside P3D off core0 is pretty much straight forward. In addition to that, I limit my P3D via AffinityMask to the "real" cores only. Always achieved the best result with this.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:06 PM, deltaalpha said:

Awesome, thank you, I will try this. I guess I should’ve mentioned that I have hyper threading off. Maybe I’ll try both, keeping addons off core 0 and off cores 0/1. Thanks again.

Honestly, I still do not get why people buy the much more expensive Intel processor that supports HT and then turn it off... If you do not like HT, you should have bought the 9700K and instead invest the saved money into the GPU...

BUT: as mentioned above, by limiting P3D via AffinityMask to the "real" cores only, you basically mimick the "HT off" situation for P3D. But without disabling HT globally...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

26 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

If you have 9900K you most definitely don't need Process Lasso. Seriously.

Even with a 9900K, Process Lasso could be useful in keeping simulator addon processes from running on cores we would want to reserve for the sim (like Core0 and Core1, or with HT On LP0 and 1 as well as LP2 and 3).  Process Lasso makes it stupid-simple to move our sim addon processes away from critical cores or logical processors we want for the sim itself.

Greg

I have been trying Process Lasso out on my modest system and I am impressed. There has been a definite improvement in smoothness, if not FPS, and the program handles power and " intruding processes " automatically. I tested an approach to EGLL (Aerosoft) in the PMDG QOTSII, with Orbx TE South and although FPS went at times to single figures (approaching EGLL from 9 - 16), overall there were no discernable pauses or major problems.

So for me, although the program remains free, I might consider purchasing it.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I have played with this app extensively and find it crashes P3dv4 often as not.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I noticed that also recently. Since I stopped using PL I also stopped having crashes. I just don't know if it's the app or maybe one of the settings within the app. 

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

2 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I noticed that also recently. Since I stopped using PL I also stopped having crashes. I just don't know if it's the app or maybe one of the settings within the app. 

Interesting!

Since my CPU upgrade, I have had to remove PL due to woeful stability issues. Not only when simming, but even at Win 10 start-up and with all adjustments and settings in the program returned to default.

On my 1700X I was a big advocate of it (see my 2nd Aug post higher up), but on the 3700X I cannot make any positive comments. With it removed, my system is rock solid.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

As has been said many, many, many times, what is good for one system may be rubbish for another.

My experience is that PL and my system play nicely together. Not one single crash since installation 2 weeks ago..

Just show ya'.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

24 minutes ago, F737NG said:

but on the 3700X I cannot make any positive comments. With it removed, my system is rock solid.

OT: how does the 3700X perform in Prepar3d v4.5? Are you happy with it?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

38 minutes ago, AnkH said:

OT: how does the 3700X perform in Prepar3d v4.5? Are you happy with it?

OT - See here:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/557576-ryzen-5-3600-is-it-a-good-cpu-for-p3d/?do=findComment&comment=4043926

tl;dr?
"Are you happy with it?" Yes, but...

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

On 8/13/2019 at 5:44 PM, AnkH said:

I limit my P3D via AffinityMask to the "real" cores only. Always achieved the best result with this.

How do you do that? is it making these LPs 01.01.01.01.01.01 available for P3D in your case?

If you mimic HT Off situation for P3D what is the benefit of using HT at all then when you run P3D? HT generates more heat and drains more power. If you use your PC for other software you could make a couple of UEFI profiles, HT On, HT Off etc. and switch between them. That could save you some kW and CPU durability.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

How do you do that? is it making these LPs 01.01.01.01.01.01 available for P3D in your case?

Yes, exactly this.

The reason I do not use HT off instead: because I use my rig not only for Prepar3d. Yes, I could use a UEFI Profile, but I do not want to decide each time I am firing up my rig whether or not I will run P3D. The AM approach is simply the most convenient and easiest way to profit from HT for all other applications I use while not using HT for P3D...

Regarding heat: not at all a relevant point to me. If you do your overclocking properly, use a capable cooling solution, then heat is not an issue. First, using an AM for P3D also reduces the heat generated by P3D and second, those 100-200MHz I might get more when overclocking my 8700K without HT is just not relevant for P3D. And it is certainly not guaranteed that I can overclock my CPU any further when using HT off...

Then durability: I never had any issues with durability of "my" CPUs, even though I overclock them always. I anyway switch CPU after three years normally and for those three years, durability won't be impacted negatively by the OC I did, I am pretty sure...

And kW? Seriously? The thing that would save most kW is not using my rig at all. But saving kW by using HT off is just... well, I would call it self-deceptive...

Greetings, Chris

On 8/2/2019 at 9:26 PM, Le Français said:

Hello! I wanted to get your opinions to see if you think Process Lasso is worth it for P3D V4.5. I curenlty have an i7 4770K and it bottlenecks. The question is, will it help better manage P3D and my cores and potentially improve performance? I am sick of hearing my fan go high speed and make a lot of noise. I must also say that I am OC to 4.4ghz. Thanks all!

Hi,

I have the same CPU running at @4,6GHZ using 1.295V and having PL manage P3D for only main cores 0,2,4,6 and it works great when having all other software running on 1,3,5,7

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

4 hours ago, AnkH said:

And kW? Seriously? The thing that would save most kW is not using my rig at all. But saving kW by using HT off is just... well, I would call it self-deceptive...

I use UEFI profiles and boot manager for XP11 and P3D, DCS, BMS each on it's own OS. I've never managed to save last 30+ years on my PC flight sims and XBOX NHL games unfortunately, just wanted to suggest you could look at it from this perspective in case you were thrifty. I once noticed that one of my CPUs (can't remember exactly which iteration) degraded overtime cooling-wise so I had to reduce from 4.8Ghz to 4.6Ghz.

Dirk.

Edited by Dirk98