Sign in to follow this  
Guest Panther13

A little indo on Weather ?

>>As you probably have guessed, I can't tell you. I can't say if>weather's in "maintenance" mode, or is slated for major work>again, as in FS 2004. Wow, you can't even say if a feature (weather) is being worked on or not. Wow, that seems to be a *tight* NDA. And I can assure you that 99.9% of FS customers would hope that weather got a higher priority than certain other things...given that weather is so important for the "immersion" factor. Cheers,RhettP.S. I wish the FS team had 4x the people it has, and a whole floor instead of one corner of one floor of one building!

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I agree Peter. Who cares about cloud shadows?? I would rather have a smooth vibrant weather engine ANY DAY of the week over cloud shadows.Get the weather right FIRST, and then, maybe add cloud shadows if time is left over...

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

"We are in for a real treat with FSX. With the demise of the>other sims like Pro Pilo, FU3, and Fly! it is always a concern>that there will be an FS to meet the technological>advancements in the PC world and I am sure FSX will be a new>platform for years ahead.>>I too am glad the sim is in such safe hands :-)>>Peter"I'm holding you to that...:)Cheers,J

Guest cschmokel

>I keep on about FU3. Those who remember it will also remember>gliding along the mountain ridges watching the VSI swing>skyhigh and hearing the wings creak. >Getting into sinking air the pure frustration of holding an>airspeed and watching the VSI as you sank uncontrollably.>>They had an adventure with a beechjet on an icy night takeoff.>You had to put on engine ice so well was icing modelled. The>turbulence from a nearby thunderstorm could throw you onto the>ground just after takeoff.>Climbing in the pitch dark the radar painted the storm out on>your left and as you moved around it you could feel the jet>shudder in the storm induced chop.>>Turn towards the red areas on the radar and the turbulence>became more violent the VSI going wild and off the scale.>>Rain and hail would hammer down like a sizzling steak thrown>into a hot frying pan.>>That experience at night was very real and actually raised a>feeling of apprehension and lonelyness that you get real world>at night in such conditions.>I remember that FU3 scenario. I couldn't believe how everything came together just right. The landing lights penetrating sheets of rain and cloud, ground lights peeking through sporadically, the hail plinking the airframe, and the severe turbulence that was enough to make you sick just sitting there. The FU3 weather engine was definitely ahead of its time ..

Guest Peter Sidoli

>I remember that FU3 scenario. I couldn't believe how everything came together just right. The landing lights penetrating sheets of rain and cloud, ground lights peeking through sporadically, the hail plinking the airframe, and the severe turbulence that was enough to make you sick just sitting there. The FU3 weather engine was definitely ahead of its time ..

Guest tdragger

<>Naturally real pilots and experienced simmers know this but how do you make it relevant to the average user? What are the weather scenarios that an average player would appreciate?

Guest Peter Sidoli

>Naturally real pilots and experienced simmers know this but how do you make it relevant to the average user? What are the weather scenarios that an average player would appreciate?

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

"Jason I want some time to answer this :-) Tomorrow early I fly toParis (thick fog forecast) from the UK. I will give a response tomorrow evening uk so that I can givemy answer justice as I dont want to rush it :-)BestPeter"That's fine of course, but tdragger is Mike Gilbert... :)

Guest thscholz

>>That's fine of course, but tdragger is Mike Gilbert... :):-lol Looks like some people are getting confused with "PixelPoke", "Taildragger", "Engauged", "Mad Englishman"...CheersThomas

I sympathise with you Peter, you obviously care a great deal about what is arguably the most critical aspect of aviation, namely the weather.But to quote pixelpoke from another thread:The nature of what we build (a rich, immersive, aviation oriented world) means that we will *never* run out of features. What we *have* to do then is prioritize.I don't know how old you are Peter but I'm still fairly young. Whenever I am disappointed with some feature of FS I can't help looking forward maybe twenty years from now when both hardware and the software itself will have evolved so far that it really will knock your socks off. Just look how far we have come so far.I don't mind exercising a little patience and dreaming of the future. I'll still be a simmer twenty years from now when the weather will probably caution even the most casual user.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest Peter Sidoli

Back from my day trip to Toussus Paris and this overcast is hot off the press :-) I even took a veritical (almost :-)to give an idea of an overcast texture and shape.We do not get that in FS a solid deck as far as the eye can see.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139807.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139808.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139809.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/139811.jpg

Guest Peter Sidoli

MIKE.......>What are the weather scenarios that an average player would appreciate?

Guest Peter Sidoli

TVFantastico and fabulomissimo :-)Especially pickie 1 .Faced with that wall would you attempt to penetrate it? What Icing ?what turbulence? Peter