Sign in to follow this  
hypercide

End of ORBX XP11 "cross platform discounts"

We certainly love our drama.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I figured this would create some discussion. 😁 I remember a few years back when DTG wandered into the market, someone saying these were interesting times for flight simming. But here we are a little more than a year beyond FSW crashing and burning and and it remains true: these are interesting times for this hobby. 

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

We certainly love our drama.......

No drama at all. I am totally with Brett here.

The product strategy of ORBX has been very convincing and clear to me for many years, so I have been buying all (yes) ORBX offers on day 1 for a number of years but is becoming more and more fuzzy at late. I already started to find it questionable to stuff three simulators in parallel, given I don't have an unlimited budget either, so cancelling of the cross-upgrades was the final nail in the coffin.

Prepar3d has been my main simulator for a long time, so I will just stop buying any more X-Plane addons. Clear cut. Either ORBX will deliver the Prepar3d pendants of their offers - not sure they will -, or I will just use what I have which will keep me busy for quite some time anyway. I much enjoy AeroflyFS, plus there will be the new MFS at the horizon, that's more than enough.

No drama at all. I also have a live beyond flight simulation.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I might have been tempted to get XP just for the TE GB series, but I don't have time for one sim properly at the moment let alone two.  Having to pay full whack for cross platform licences will mean I just won't.  Not that that should bother Orbx, they have their plan and are following it, but it makes my choices much easier!

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

I might have been tempted to get XP just for the TE GB series, but I don't have time for one sim properly at the moment let alone two.

There are many people who tell me they're now using X-Plane because of TE GB, but still have P3D for other types of flying (e.g. PMDG). I think you'd enjoy X-Plane if you gave it a chance, and you can always try the demo area of Southampton and see if you like it (and compare to the P3D version)

There are now new products coming out first on XP11 and then later on P3D, e.g. (EGNX, EGLC). These aren't just ports but rather one airport developed for two sims at the same time. There are a lot of X-Plane users who don't own P3D or FSX and buy the airports as they come out. I think it may surprise many people on this forum, but there are many users out there who have never used FSX/P3D.

Also, before pointing fingers at the bad guy, do other vendors offer this cross-platform discount? I don't see many doing it, so it's really nothing new here. In fact, there are even many vendors who charge for FSX-P3D upgrades, something Orbx haven't done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

I might have been tempted to get XP just for the TE GB series, but I don't have time for one sim properly at the moment let alone two.  Having to pay full whack for cross platform licences will mean I just won't.

A criticism from someone who does not have a simulator that he would have no time to use in any case and will therefore not be buying three products for it because there will be no 40% discount for one of them seems a little de trop but many thanks.

3 hours ago, pmb said:

No drama at all. I am totally with Brett here.

The product strategy of ORBX has been very convincing and clear to me for many years, so I have been buying all (yes) ORBX offers on day 1 for a number of years but is becoming more and more fuzzy at late. I already started to find it questionable to stuff three simulators in parallel, given I don't have an unlimited budget either, so cancelling of the cross-upgrades was the final nail in the coffin.

Prepar3d has been my main simulator for a long time, so I will just stop buying any more X-Plane addons. Clear cut. Either ORBX will deliver the Prepar3d pendants of their offers - not sure they will -, or I will just use what I have which will keep me busy for quite some time anyway. I much enjoy AeroflyFS, plus there will be the new MFS at the horizon, that's more than enough.

No drama at all. I also have a live beyond flight simulation.

Kind regards, Michael

By drama, I mean that it seems whenever I visit various forums there is always a new kerfuffle of the week. I usually skim and move on, then when I visit next week, there is yet a new outrage of some sort..... 😀

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For what it is worth, I am not outraged by ORBX's decision to remove the cross grade incentive.  It is simply a business decision on their part.  Just like being more inclined to wait on a sale is consumer decision on my part.  I typically buy most products on sale or at discount mainly because I have plenty to keep me occupied already.  I did make an exception to that with TE Washington.  I purchased TE-W, ASXP, XP11 and the Jrollon SF-260 to give xplane a go but have a full library of ORBX P3D and DCS to keep me busy 

I love the product ORBX puts out and to date it is the only scenery on my PC due to the easy of installation and not having to deal with conflicts. I simply choose to be selective under what conditions I purchase.

I don't think anyone is outraged.  but in my case I think they will receive less money from me overall.

I spent several years buying everything Orbx did in some cases just to be supportive and then Mr Venema made clear that he didnt actually need his customers as they were totally investor supported so that made me relax and only buy things I thought I might want.

The 40% discount made it palpable/possible to repurchase the same airports for XP but with it gone and with the new sim around the corner (for which Im sure Orbx will be porting and building new airports for and charging full price for), I think its best if I just wait for the most part.

Ill buy a few things Im sure but mostly its 'limbo'.

• Upvote 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

20 hours ago, tonywob said:

There are many people who tell me they're now using X-Plane because of TE GB, but still have P3D for other types of flying (e.g. PMDG). I think you'd enjoy X-Plane if you gave it a chance, and you can always try the demo area of Southampton and see if you like it (and compare to the P3D version)

The biggest disadvantage to XP11 as I see it for me, is the lack of proper (believable) ATC, on a par with voxatc in P3D. Is there anything similar?

Edited by kevinfirth

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

3 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

The biggest disadvantage to XP11 as I see it for me, is the lack of proper (believable) ATC, on a par with voxatc in P3D. Is there anything similar? 

If you want voice controlled ATC, then you can use Pilot2ATC with X-Plane. Radar Contact and PF3 also work but require an additional payware "bridge" addon.

Edited by Airboeing

5 hours ago, Airboeing said:

If you want voice controlled ATC, then you can use Pilot2ATC with X-Plane. Radar Contact and PF3 also work but require an additional payware "bridge" addon.

useful thanks, I'll research that

xaP1VAU.png

On 8/4/2019 at 11:31 AM, tonywob said:

There are now new products coming out first on XP11 and then later on P3D, e.g. (EGNX, EGLC). These aren't just ports but rather one airport developed for two sims at the same time. There are a lot of X-Plane users who don't own P3D or FSX and buy the airports as they come out. I think it may surprise many people on this forum, but there are many users out there who have never used FSX/P3D.

Well that's exactly why I use Xplane 11 for the TE series with WT3 (v2 soon) and ASXP changed it... Still missing out a products similar to PROATC-X... So dual setup here since XP10... Different moods different sims lol

Edited by awf

André