Sign in to follow this  
Keirtt

CTD - PMDG FMC

I'm running across a very infrequent, but frustrating CTD issue and can't seem to figure out what's up. Starting several weeks ago I noticed that I would intermittently CTD while looking at the PMDG FMC and clearing a message (Usually RSV Fuel message). As soon as I try to clear, I can tell the system has frozen followed by a message to wait or close. To give you an idea of how infrequent this happens though, in the last 24 hours I flew 13 hrs with the PMDG 747 without any issues. I followed those two flights up with the VATUSA event this evening from MDW>MSP in the PMDG 737 without issue... on my way back to MDW while descending through 7,000', I went into my FMC to verify my arrival and cleared a message. Immediately I was greeted with a frozen sim followed by CTD after being forced to close.

I'm only noticing this issue using my PMDG 737. The event log is showing the following:

The program Prepar3D.exe version 4.5.12.30293 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 2e54
 Start Time: 01d54993f85eb059
 Termination Time: 59
 Application Path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
 Report Id: cd6e62ab-2152-45b5-9716-2e0445b552c4
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Unknown

Any assistance with this would be helpful. I notice it at all times of the day and at various airports. It only happens with the PMDG 737 and it's always in the FMC; however, it maybe happens 1/10 flights. Thanks for any assistance that can be provided!

Gaming rig
Intel i9 13900k - NZXT Kraken Z73 cooler - ASUS Maximus Hero Z790 
32GB Trident Z 6000MHz DDR5 - Gigabyte 4090 GAMING OC 24G
10 x 120mm Lian Li UNI fans - Lian Li OD11XL Case - Corsair HX1500i PSU

Never heard of this app hang before.  I would go to the PMDG support site and submit a trouble ticket - https://support.precisionmanuals.com/Main/

Meanwhile, the AVSIM CTD Guide (see link in my signature) has suggestions for possibly fixing this problem.  AppHangs are very difficult to fix as they provide no clue such as a faulting module for CTD's.  Try the following which I pulled from an upcoming change to the CTD Guide: 

How to fix Most Freezes/Crashes in P3D

Investigate!  Return to the default configuration (does not require uninstalling anything) The following fixes most crashes with any simulator.  You can complete all actions below or do each one at a time but recommend you do each one at a time.  This way you will know which component possibly caused the freeze or crash.  If this does not fix the problem, then submit a trouble ticket to PMDG.  If you decide to uninstall the PMDG 737 and then reinstall it, make sure you deactivate your license by going into the PMDG menu located in the FMC.  This will save you from going to the PMDG site, submitting another ticket and requesting your license be activated.  You can only activate the license so many times.

Prepar3D users:

•      Rename the P3D.cfg (located in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\LockheedMartin\Prepar3Dv4)Change to P3D.off. A rebuilt P3D.cfg will be made the next time you restart the simulator.

•      Delete or rename the dll.xml.  Default is in same folder as the scenery.cfg but look for one in the same folder as the P3D.cfg as some developers still use this location (Prepar3Dv4 users and higher only; P3DV3 and lower are still located in the same folder as the P3D.cfg). Rename both to dll.off (the one in the same folder as your scenery.cfg will be rebuilt when you restart P3D as this is the new default location).  See also - Move/Disable modules in your dll.xml in this guide as you can also disable each module, one at a time, from loading at startup.  (Added:  A PMDG entry is located in the dll.xml located in the same folder as your scenery.cfg.  This could be missing or corrupted).

•      Move or rename the scenery.cfg (located in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3Dv4)Instead of moving or renaming the scenery.cfg, recommend you make a new folder in C:\Downloads called Temp.  Go to Documents/Prepar3D V4 Add-Ons folder and move everything in this folder to this Temp directory (do not remove the Add-Ons folder!).  This will disable all Add-ons in P3D and only the default will be loaded.

•      Restart P3D.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Thanks for the reply! I reached out to PMDG early this morning and received a reply in the last few minutes. Paul Gollnick with their tech support asked me if I had a programmed Go Around with a vector as there is a known issue being worked on for a CTD that can happen with certain Go Around procedures that are loaded into the FMC. While I haven't manually put in a Go Around, I obviously use STARs and when a runway is selected, it includes a missed approach option that's plugged into the FMC. I'm waiting for a reply, but I'm wondering if these are related?

Edited by Keirtt
correction

Gaming rig

It sounds like YOU have to program a Go Around with a vector and not the one built into the AFCAD for the airport.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

That's what I figured, but I still wonder if there is some related issue. I'll have to follow your steps in the guide.... just not sure why this continues to happen with the FMC. Very odd

Gaming rig