Sign in to follow this  
Guest tdragger

Still no cloud shadow

I never said UFOs were in the game, I said where should you draw the line? demand you guys put in UFOs as well?I think getting the simulation of the cockpit part down is most important and these little things are what people can buy as addons if they want.

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>I never said UFOs were in the game, I said where should you>draw the line? demand you guys put in UFOs as well?>>I think getting the simulation of the cockpit part down is>most important and these little things are what people can buy>as addons if they want.I was kidding Alex. :)I shoulda put a smiley in there.Cheers,jason

"what a knee jerk response"So was this "birds are unecessary", since we both have different uses for this sim. "I" have no desire for a technical trainer ONLY, to me that is just boring. Rather than simulate only what is in the cockpit (already comes close since I fly GA), I need the world outside of it simulated to what I se in RL also.I am not saying you are wrong for what you want, only that because you seem to think that is what everyone wants and it isn't.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

Now that's exactly what I wanted to post. MSFS has the ability to turn certain features on or off, ATC, clouds, dynamic scenery, scenery itself, AI traffic etc... I'm sure if someone deems birds and wildlife unimportant, turn them off. With that said, if I want to see birds and wildlife in the sim, I'll flip the switch and turn them on. It's all a matter of taste, if you don't like ATC or clouds or other aircraft, turn them off. To each his own.Now if one is worried by the amount of time that seems to have been spent implementing the birds and other dynamic pixels, read Steve Lacey's blog on the length of implementation. Seems it doesn't take long to do. To be honest, to sit and read post after post about birds and their necessity within the sim is tedious, we as the consumer have yet to see what other parts of the sim are being revised and upgraded, though if you read between some of the lines in the blogs and posts of the developers, you get a sense that birds are not the only feature they are working on. Ian.

Birds and coyotes are such a problem at KGYY (Gary-Chicago International) that there's a dedicated crew who's sole responsibility is to chase 'em off the runway!After the tower closes at 10:00pm CST, arriving a/c are advised by ATIS to be particularly vigilant for "birds and coyotes on the runway."If FSX can't have birds and coyotes on the runway at KGYY, I'll be very disappointed! ;)Personally, I'm really looking forward to "FSX: Living World" edition to hit the shelves! :-ukliam

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

its not that I don't want birds and other animals in the sim, its just that the laundry list of what can be fixed and enhanced is long enough to where so much time and energy can be spent making it a better simulation. But it is going the way of Crimson Skies, more of an action adventure game, than what people claim til the day they die, a "simulator" and not a game

Unfortunately, since so little information is available on FSX, people can only take what little information they have and run with it, which is a major reason I've stopped going to the FSX forums. It was the same with FS9, when soon after it was announced, people were furious that, to them, it seemed to be a dressed-up FS2002, with pretty fluffy clouds that were unnecessary. What about my FMC? What about my STAR/SIDs?!? What about my accurately modeled systems?!? The list went on and on....It's amazing to see the assumptions that are being made with so little information. Sometimes, it makes me wish that they wouldn't have announced ANYTHING on FSX until it was released and everyone could see for themselves if it lives up to their expectations.The "My friend told me that MS is dropping the FS series!" threads were more entertaining than these "How dare you waste dev time on birds/autogen/insert your least favorite feature here!!!!!" threads.

Guest tcable

Who cares about cloud shadows.We need Sunballs!We need to see a green flash just as the sun drops below the horizon!Both these are very real, and If they're not included, I'll... I'll... Sell my computer, quit my job and be a beach bum on Maui!:) :) :) :) :-bla BTW, the above is saracasm. The effecs are real though. I've seen many sunballs, and the green flash only once.....Tim

I never said how dare you, I just said there are so many features and fixes that could be implemented to make it a better "simulation", talking about moving cars, animals, etc is just pointless eyecandy that makes it a game rather than a simvery interesting how you "stopped going to the FSX forums", is this your identical twin responding?

"is this your identical twin responding?"Indeed.My post wasn't aimed at you, Alex. Just an observation of things in general. However, what you call "pointless eye candy", I call integral parts of an authentic VFR simulation. It's all a matter of perception.

Well, this is going down hill fast. My suggestion would be to wait and see what the feature list is before getting upset about this or that feature not being in the sim. I do believe however, that a healthy discussion of what is wanted by posters on this and other forums is an excellent way for the developers to gauge at least the hardcore simmers wants and needs. One thing to keep in mind is that if there is no eyecandy, why not just use an IFR trainer? I do agree that this is a simulation, but with today's advances in computing technology why can't we have a Flight Simulator that both satisfies the eye candy fanatics and the simulation fanatics and add an element of fun to our favourite game/simulation (who really cares, that's semantics). Imagine that, having your cake and eating it too? :) Ian.

Guest Bell206freak

Quote:++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++I never said how dare you, I just said there are so manyfeatures and fixes that could be implemented to make it abetter "simulation", talking about moving cars, animals, etcis just pointless eyecandy that makes it a game rather than asimvery interesting how you "stopped going to the FSX forums", isthis your identical twin responding?++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++So, I take it you are one of those "true Level-330" guys who only flies the "Big Iron" using IFR at 30,000-some-odd feet AMSL and has no sense of their surroundings. Or, you gotta be one of those asinine types who think that Flight Simulator should have photorealistically-accurate gauge movement and flight dynamics akin to that of a full motion simulator?In the words of John Stossel from ABC's 20/20.. Gimme a Break!Not all Flight Simulation is about stuff that only "hardcore" simmers think about. Stuff like making sure that there's an accurate FMC in every new jumbo jet depicted in Flight Simulator, or making sure that the panels look just like they do in their real-world counterparts.####, I am a "hardcore" flight simmer myself. I've been "addicted" to Flight Simulator since the days of Flight Simulator for Windows 95 (I still use it to this day using a DOS emulator for Windows XP) and I've owned nearly every release of Flight Simulator since then.(Heh, I still use a DOS emulator to run a SUBLogic version on my Windows XP machine. The original one from 1983 to be specific!)That doesn't say that I'm a "level-330" guy. I am a true "VFR" guy because as one who's flown in nearly every category of aircraft, VFR flight offers the best experience. Quote: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++a bird is in no way part of a simulation of a cockpit.go up to some of the real sim guys and ask them whether they simulate birds flying and animals roaming. give me a break.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Your comments declaring "birds are unnecessary" (and likewise comments from others denouncing the addition of other wildlife in Flight Simulator X for that matter) are as ridiculous as the thoughts are of flying a Bell JetRanger at altitudes higher than 12,000 feet. In a helicopter flight over Mount St. Helens, I saw elk traversing the landslide debris in the upper North Fork Toutle River valley, and eagles soaring with us in tandem as we passed the 4,000 foot AMSL mark eight miles from the peak. In a flight in a Cessna 172 above Sanderson Field in Shelton, Washington, I was thrilled to be flying within a flock of seagulls circling the Shelton Wal*Mart parking lot.I for one am more than ecstatic at the screenshots I have seen thus far - the ones showing the true immersion of flying in an enhanced world rich in diverse features Flight Simulator 2004 can only dream of.Heck, if I had the knowledge I possess now about scenery design at the time I developed my second Mount St. Helens scenery packagea year and a half ago, I would've included those elk in the Toutle Valley, just as I saw them in reality.Birds not being a part of a cockpit simulation? Horsecrap!(The following is a blog by Flight Simulator developer Steve Lacey)http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/20...read_this.shtml

>>I hardly ever notice "cloud shadows" on the ground when>>flying, but birds are another story.>>>>Given a choice, I'll take the birds over the cloud shadows,>as>>I usually do not fly with my head looking down at the>ground,>>and when looking forward, cloud shadows over the ground>ahead>>of me mean nothing, and I really do not pay attention to>them.>>It's a nice detail, but, the birds are better!>>>>A cloud shadow on the ground is of zero consequence to me,>but>>a bird, who might fly into my wind screen is!>>>>Now, perhaps if you are a passenger in the back, staring out>>the window, then perhaps the cloud shadows have meaning, but>>if you are up front flying, they are irrelevant, and our>eyes>>focus elsewhere. ;-)>>>>Regards,>>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg>>Hey Lou,>>Quit smoking.>>:)>>I've always thought cloud shadows would heighten the sense of>depth in our environment, as well as solidifying the weather>system as an integrated entity into the scene.>>Cheers,>>JI'll take me some cloud shadows. I learned to fly in Hawaii, and I would certainly notice the cloud shadows cast on the water. Birds and cloud shadows both enhance immersion.J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.