Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

MCE not working in X-Plane Fullscreen

I know I may have raised this before, don't know if there is a solution or MCE could easily be modified.

I run 3 screens, left, centre (primary screen), & right. I run X-Plane11 full screen split over the left & centre screens using X-Plane's internal multiscreen configuration. However, when starting MCE it is unable to identify that X-Plane is running and just sits with the "Trying to connect to simulator" message. Either when starting MCE from the task bar, or from the XP11 plugins menu.

I really miss using MCE and would welcome a solution to this issue. Any advice or solution?

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

I know I may have raised this before, don't know if there is a solution or MCE could easily be modified.

I run 3 screens, left, centre (primary screen), & right. I run X-Plane11 full screen split over the left & centre screens using X-Plane's internal multiscreen configuration. However, when starting MCE it is unable to identify that X-Plane is running and just sits with the "Trying to connect to simulator" message. Either when starting MCE from the task bar, or from the XP11 plugins menu.

I really miss using MCE and would welcome a solution to this issue. Any advice or solution?

Maybe you forgot to set "X-Plane.exe" to run as administrator.

Barring that, this happens usually because some files (expected to be put by installer) are missing inside X-Plane main installation folder.

If you have re-installed X-Plane, you need to re-install MCE for X-Plane.

When prompted to provide the path to "X-Plane.exe", please do that.

If you have multiple x-Plane installations, on the second prompt, direct it to the other installation.

Each X-Plane installation should end up with these files.

xpInsider64.xpl (inside \X-Plane\Resources\Plugins\ folder (Required in order for MCE to connect to X-Plane 64 Bit. Always required for XP-11

xpInsider32.xpl (inside \X-Plane\Resources\Plugins\ folder (Required in order for MCE to connect to X-Plane 10 32 Bit. Not required for XP-11

xpInsider.cfg (inside \X-Plane\Resources\Plugins\ folder

Should also have a folder named <MCE dlls>, containing 2 subfolders, each holding about 21 dlls (one for each supported complex aircraft)

No X-Plane nor aircraft files are modified whatsoever. And MCE (including speech engine and audio) deliberately runs outside the simulator process for better stability of the latter.

Confirm up and running.

Edited by FS++
Typos

Gerald,

I have not reinstalled X-Plane or MCE. I only recently set X-Plane up to run as I described above. Previously I ran X-Plane in windowed mode over the 3 screens using NVidia Surround and MCE works fine. Only when I switch XP11 to run in Full screen mode, does MCE not recognise the SIM.

Are you able to confirm that MCE should and does work with XP11 running in Full Screen mode and I don't mean pressing Alt Enter from it running in a window, but actually changing XP11 in the XP11 Graphics tab?

When XP11 runs in Full Screen mode over 2 or 3 screens it actually runs 2/3 linked occurrences of X-Plane. Perhaps this is the issue with MCE?

Edited by STUART_H

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

3 hours ago, STUART_H said:

Gerald,

I have not reinstalled X-Plane or MCE. I only recently set X-Plane up to run as I described above. Previously I ran X-Plane in windowed mode over the 3 screens using NVidia Surround and MCE works fine. Only when I switch XP11 to run in Full screen mode, does MCE not recognise the SIM.

Are you able to confirm that MCE should and does work with XP11 running in Full Screen mode and I don't mean pressing Alt Enter from it running in a window, but actually changing XP11 in the XP11 Graphics tab?

When XP11 runs in Full Screen mode over 2 or 3 screens it actually runs 2/3 linked occurrences of X-Plane. Perhaps this is the issue with MCE?

Will have to double-check.

As long as you have an X-Plane instance running on the machine MCE is running on, it should pick-up the sim.

The assumption is that the main X-Plane window has "X-System" in the caption.

Suggest you download and install the latest MCE version: http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

And we'll take it from there.

Eventually, start X-Plane in Windowed mode, then start MCE.

Once it's connected, switch X-Plane to full screen mode.

Can even use speech commands such as "full screen mode", "normal screen" to switch back and forth.

21 minutes ago, FS++ said:

Will have to double-check.

As long as you have an X-Plane instance running on the machine MCE is running on, it should pick-up the sim.

The assumption is that the main X-Plane window has "X-System" in the caption.

Suggest you download and install the latest MCE version: http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

And we'll take it from there.

Eventually, start X-Plane in Windowed mode, then start MCE.

Once it's connected, switch X-Plane to full screen mode.

Can even use speech commands such as "full screen mode", "normal screen" to switch back and forth

Thanks Gerald, but I am already running the latest 1.4.0.0.

Also, it's not possible to operate X-Plane as you suggest, switching between windowed and full screen when using two or more screens as one looses the various lateral, vertical and roll offsets that one has to configure to marry two screens together, once you switch to windowed mode. Having setup the various offsets, one can then start XP11 each time in full screen mode, but if you go back to windowed mode, it forgets the offset settings.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1 hour ago, STUART_H said:

Thanks Gerald, but I am already running the latest 1.4.0.0.

Also, it's not possible to operate X-Plane as you suggest, switching between windowed and full screen when using two or more screens as one looses the various lateral, vertical and roll offsets that one has to configure to marry two screens together, once you switch to windowed mode. Having setup the various offsets, one can then start XP11 each time in full screen mode, but if you go back to windowed mode, it forgets the offset settings.

FWIW ran a quick check in XP-11, started either in full screen mode (single monitor) or windowed mode, and MCE connected every time.

Unless the extra tool you're using to configure multi-monitor setup is somehow modifying the X-Plane main Window Caption, which is expected to be "X-System".

There is also something called "Window Class". It has always been "X-System", and this one (which only programmers care about) can only be changed by X-Plane itself.

The caption can be modified by any Plugin.

The web page shows 14.0.0 but I believe there is a newer package (1.4.0.X).

Just download and re-install anyway and we'll take it from there.

Do you see anything other than "X-System" in Window top bar when looking at X-Plane in window mode?

6 minutes ago, FS++ said:

FWIW ran a quick check in XP-11, started either in full screen mode (single monitor) or windowed mode, and MCE connected every time.

Unless the extra tool you're using to configure multi-monitor setup is somehow modifying the X-Plane main Window Caption, which is expected to be "X-System".

There is also something called "Window Class". It has always been "X-System", and this one (which only programmers care about) can only be changed by X-Plane itself.

The caption can be modified by any Plugin.

The web page shows 14.0.0 but I believe there is a newer package (1.4.0.X).

Just download and re-install anyway and we'll take it from there.

Do you see anything other than "X-System" in Window top bar when looking at X-Plane in window mode?

Thanks for checking, although using with single screen is probably not an issue. I believe I too could run MCE with all three screens when using NVidia Surround to treat the three as one screen, either windowed or full screen.

I don't use an "extra tool" or plugin to configure multi-monitor setup. XP graphics page in settings recognises multi screens and has the options to configure them accordingly each in full screen. You don't see this when only one monitor is in use.

The web page actually shows 1.4.0.0, not 14.0.0: "V1.4.0.0 for Laminar X-Plane 11 & 10 released"

Sorry, but having spent some time configuring my multi two screen setup, I'm not prepared to undo that work to switch back to window mode. 

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

On 8/3/2019 at 10:59 PM, STUART_H said:

Thanks for checking, although using with single screen is probably not an issue. I believe I too could run MCE with all three screens when using NVidia Surround to treat the three as one screen, either windowed or full screen.

I don't use an "extra tool" or plugin to configure multi-monitor setup. XP graphics page in settings recognises multi screens and has the options to configure them accordingly each in full screen. You don't see this when only one monitor is in use.

The web page actually shows 1.4.0.0, not 14.0.0: "V1.4.0.0 for Laminar X-Plane 11 & 10 released"

Sorry, but having spent some time configuring my multi two screen setup, I'm not prepared to undo that work to switch back to window mode. 

You don't have to operate in Window mode.

Just need to do that once and report what is written into the window title bars of the 3 windows. Thanks

26 minutes ago, FS++ said:

You don't have to operate in Window mode.

Just need to do that once and report what is written into the window title bars of the 3 windows. Thanks

Thanks Gerald,

When operating 3 screens in Window mode using NVidia Surround it acts as one overall screen and the "X-System" appears once in the top left corner of the left screen on the title bar, which itself spans across all three screens with the X-Plane icons top right of the right screen. MCE works fine in this circumstance.

Obviously, when using X-Plane's own multi- screen mode, with 2or 3 screens, it's in full screen mode so there is no title bar. MCE can't see the simulator under this scenerio.

Since raising this query, I have in fact resorted to NVidia Surround windowed mode in any event because of FPS loss when using X-Planes multi-screen. I'll tolerate the slight periferral distortion. However, it would be good to get to the bottom of the issue should I wish to try that setup again in the future.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Gerald, sorry but I now have another major issue with MCE.

Yesterday I tried to start it (XP11 windowed mode) and it came up with the following error.

screenshot-5.jpg

I thought I would uninstall and reinstall it, but it starts to uninstall ( the green bar starts moving) but then it just gets stuck, and gets no further!

Can you suggest how I might remove it, so that it will let me reinstall? Can I perhaps just delete the folder ( if it will let me) and then clean the registry using CCleaner?

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Gerald, ignore my last post, at least for time being, I managed to remove registry entries via regedit and have been able to reinstall MCE and it looks as though it's working again, although I haven't done a flight yet. At least it loads without the error.

Thanks

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

16 hours ago, STUART_H said:

Gerald, ignore my last post, at least for time being, I managed to remove registry entries via regedit and have been able to reinstall MCE and it looks as though it's working again, although I haven't done a flight yet. At least it loads without the error.

Thanks

Thanks for follow-up 😋

Gerald, unfortunately although MCE appeared to start fine, I'm just doing a flight and after about 20 mins I suddenly got the above Application Integrity Error again. This only seems to have appeared after the recent latest Windows 10 upgrades.  Any idea how to resolve this? Version is 1.4.0.0

screenshot-5.jpg

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

2 hours ago, STUART_H said:

Gerald, unfortunately although MCE appeared to start fine, I'm just doing a flight and after about 20 mins I suddenly got the above Application Integrity Error again. This only seems to have appeared after the recent latest Windows 10 upgrades.  Any idea how to resolve this? Version is 1.4.0.0

screenshot-5.jpg

No worries. Please contact support. Thanks