Sign in to follow this  
anitelite

Rift S with xplane 11 - newbie

After 6+ hours on and off with the Rift S, I'm at sort of a crossroads.  Absolutely love the immersive quality of flight.  Being able to swing your head to see the runway on base is great.  And, I suppose in time, I'll get used to the hand controls so they become second nature.  But right now, I have an intel i7-4790K rig with a 1060 video card that runs xplane at around 38 fps in normal non weather, non scenery challenged areas.  For me, thats about all i need to run a standard WS monitor and enjoy simulation.  With the addition of the Rift, two things happen.  one i expected which was to get ready to spend more money on a better pc, but two is the "fuzziness" of the environment.  I wear trifocal lenses and have loaded and unloaded the relevant software for the Rift multiple times to try to get better video clarity (and to be fair, this doesn't appear to be an issue solely with Xplane).  With glasses or without, the cockpit and world lack overall clarity.  So....I'm open to any and all constructive suggestions as to how to remedy the problem.  I'll run straight down today to the computer store for a new machine if this is solely a horsepower/dollar problem. 

To increase "sharpness" in vr you need to increase supersampling, with a commiserate loss in fps, especially on a modest computer system. I would suggest downloading the oculus tray tool and following online instructions, then ask for help again if that isn't enough.

Also you may consider ordering some of the prescription lens inserts that are available for Vr, which may serve you better than your regular glasses. A thing about VR is that the lens focus is on infinity, so despite the fact that the image is only inches from your eyes, you need your long distance glasses to get a clear picture.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks I appreciate the suggestion.  I did download the tool and set the supersample to 1.6  Definitely made a difference.  But as you said, it hammered my frame rate.  So...now i have to decide....is it worth a $ 1000+ upgrade or not.....

Instead of Oculus tray tools try this https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/50553-ovr-settings-oculus-rift-supersampling-asw/ it will allow you to reduce the frame rate to 30fps  with minimal judder/stutters and set/change super sampling from inside x plane 11 without having to restart. 

Thanks to Arnold Alting for this brilliant lua script.

Mick

Edited by mickatmian
  • Like 1

I second this plugin must have!

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/50553-ovr-settings-oculus-rift-supersampling-asw/ 

gave me the most boost from all plugins available for VR

I also use this one... it's a OK...https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/43281-3jfps-wizard11/

but the first one is what really made a noticeable difference for the better

Similar PC as yours 4790K @ 4.5 GHz and 1080Ti

30 minutes ago, AndyCYXU said:

Hi Andy,

I use 3jFPS-wizard as well, it's another very useful script especially for VR.

Pleased you posted that as I was not aware there was an update for xp version 11.30.

Anitelite 

Have you tried the OVR script yet?

Mick