Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Just got X-Plane...need some assistance

Good afternoon,

Just bought a copy of X-Plane 11 to see what it has to offer. I have the basics set up, but am having difficulty with a couple of things. Can the Saitek Switch Panel and Radio Panel be compatible? Also whats the best method to connect to VATSIM?  Thanks in advance for the help.

(Please understand, I am not a "convert" to X-Plane, but its important to me, and my excessively long sim history..see my signature...to see what all sims have to offer)

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

40 minutes ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

Can the Saitek Switch Panel and Radio Panel be compatible?

Yes.  You need to download the XP plugins from the Saitek site.  Here's a second URL, but it's a bit more difficult to navigate although it may have more current plugins.

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

Beauty! Thank you! What about the Vatsim connectup? Im used to VPilot, but Im pretty sure thats just P3D etc

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Yeah that's basically the client for XP11.  It's "meh."  I would recommend Pilot Edge (for P3D too) though...it does cost a bit but well worth it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Im a long time user of VATSIM, and understand what PE has to offer, just not quite sure about making that leap at this point. Might solve some of my headaches on both sides but we will see.

Brian A. Neuman

1 minute ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

Im a long time user of VATSIM, and understand what PE has to offer, just not quite sure about making that leap at this point. Might solve some of my headaches on both sides but we will see.

I hear ya....I was also a long time vatsim only guy.  And yeah the coverage area isn't the best...but they do have a larger area now with the western US and I'm guessing that would suit you well.  I only have the Socal region because I rarely fly big jetliners.  But at some point I'd like to switch to the western US too.  (you can do that or have both)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

We will see, still trying to get accustomed to the format of XP-11, and having a hard time with certain key bindings I have used and need to keep due to muscle memory of years of MSFS and P3D usage.

Brian A. Neuman

4 hours ago, Brian_A_Neuman said:

We will see, still trying to get accustomed to the format of XP-11, and having a hard time with certain key bindings I have used and need to keep due to muscle memory of years of MSFS and P3D usage.

If you go to the settings and then keyboard, at the very bottom is a drop down box where you can change x-planes default key bindings to fsx 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedbird21 said:

If you go to the settings and then keyboard, at the very bottom is a drop down box where you can change x-planes default key bindings to fsx 

Oooo, I will look for that. That might make my life amazingly simple.

• Like 1

Brian A. Neuman