Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

What programming languages did you study?

hahahaha! Shout out to all the dinosaurs here!

Not sure if I should be sad or happy for having missed that wonderful era of punch cards. My first experience programming was Turbo Pascal on a 80386SX with 8MB(?) extended RAM - and it was a "laptop". 😮

Do you remember these things (found through a google search)?

maxresdefault.jpg

wing42_logo_smaller.png

www.wing42.com

On 8/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, GMVitus said:

hahahaha! Shout out to all the dinosaurs here!

Not sure if I should be sad or happy for having missed that wonderful era of punch cards. My first experience programming was Turbo Pascal on a 80386SX with 8MB(?) extended RAM -

I had a 386SX/20.  I can't remember how much ram it had.  4 megs maybe.  Not much.

It was a step up from the Apple //e I had before that.  It had 128k of ram.  Friend had a TRS-80 so that brings back memories.  Any of you have an Odyssey game console by chance?

When I started college in 1991 they were still teaching COBOL -- it was the last semester for it.  You had to upload your programs to a server, where they were compiled, if I'm remembering it correctly.   I saw a lot of change in comps at that time -- by the time I was a senior they had html classes and the web had become a little more mainstream.  When I started it was telnet and usenet groups, no browser.  Mosaic browser was a wonder when I saw it for the first time.

On topic.  I took classes in Modula-2, QBASIC, Applesoft BASIC, Turbo Pascal, C, COBOL, and Visual Basic.  SQL also, but that wasn't exactly the same.  Anyway, I've pretty much forgotten them all.  😀

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

School

- Basic on some HP Mini using Cards w/ Pencil

- Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Assembler and C on some IBM  (Cobol on Cards)

- Assembler, ADA and some crazy language where you wrote a whole program on one line on a Unix Box (PDP/11??)

Home

- Basic / Forth on TI-99/4A

- C++ on IBM OS/2

- A bunch of stuff on PC's

IRL

- Cobol / JCL, ABAP/4, Natural/Adabas on IBM 370

- C#, C++, Javascript .... on PCs

Just started playing with Lua for hooking up hardware to P3D, jury is still out on that one.

Fortran IV on Data General SuperNova, serial #4..  :cool:

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

Turbo Pascal, C, Delphi, Basic , VBasic, Os400 (RPG?), Assembly ofcourse!

Edited by adino

I'm a late starter... real late, ha!  I just design and if I need to automate somthin' I just learn the language as needed.  Last couple of years have been vbscript, JAVA, and now Python. Whatever works to get the job done.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Sinclair BASIC on the ZX81
6502 assembler and Commodore BASIC on Commodore VIC-20, 64 and Pet.
6502 assembler and BBC BASIC on the Acorn Electron and BBC Model B
Borland Turbo C on MS DOS
Had a life for 10 years or so...
C++ but now mostly C#.NET and .NET Core in Microsoft land, with the prerequisite amount of Perl, PHP. JS and whatever else gets thrown at me.

It's all still 1s and 0s and I absolutely believe that the early years of 6502 programming still help me every single day as a full time software engineer.