Sign in to follow this  
Guest Robin.B

Better looking runways/taxiways

Guest wingnut2

No FSX will look alot better than that. Maybe you haven't read the other thread but FSX will support 1024x1024 texures - 16 times more detail. (Tdragger also gave a hint that even higher, 64 times detail will be possible).

>Maybe you haven't>read the other thread but FSX will support 1024x1024 texures ->16 times more detail. I have. But this have nothing to do with runways. Runways in FS are governed by different rules than ground scenery. You missed my point here - it is about taxiways/runways.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest Robin.B

A nice place to start from would be to divide the runway into several texture segments that are independent of each other. That way, tire marks can be made on a runway which don't have to be repetitive in width and intensity; a.k.a more tire marks where the aircraft touchdown, and less near the middle of the runway.

I never understood why only one texture for the whole runway was used (except it's obviously easier that way). It can't be that difficult to segment the runway into different sections.Hopefully this gets adressed in fsx.But I don't expect the default runways in fsx to look as good as the picture above from flight scenery, because ms can't costum build all 24'000+ airstripes out there.But I would love to see alot more variation in the system possible, like a couple of different texture sets for concrete and all the other possible surfaces.best regards,CG

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>I never understood why only one texture for the whole runway>was used (except it's obviously easier that way). It can't be>that difficult to segment the runway into different sections."The runways are already divided into segments that have UV assignments.The issue is that there isn't enough variation in the assignment. Cheers,Jason

>The issue is that there isn't enough variation in the>assignment. Not sure I follow. Right now in FS9 I haven't seen a single (default) runway that would not have symmetrical pattern length-wise. In other words every pattern on the runway stretches the whole length of the runway. This is the key that this symmetry should be broken. I don't see it as an issue with not enough variations - the variations today are clearly wrong regardless how many there is. I could live with a same runway pattern repeated 20,000 times provided it resembled real runway.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest Robin.B

Jason,It seems to me that it would require a minimal amount of programming/change to have a runway to be comprised of 3 different textures.1. A texture to cover the area from where the runway begins until where most aircraft have completed touchdown; Which would comprise of a mostly clear asphalt/concrete which would then have increasing amounts of tire marks near the middle of the texture, and then the tire marks would decrease near the end of the texture2. Basically the same as above, for the other end of the runway. It would be nice to have it as a seperate texture though, so it could be possible to have both ends different.3. A texture with just a little bit of tire skid, which would then be repeated from where the first texture begins up to where the last texture starts.

Guest Robin.B

I think what he means is that the runway is already divided into several pieces - it just uses one texture to cover it all.

Guest A32X

Runways would look even better if they could be wobbly. And Jet blast through water spray into the air! (See X-Plane) :-)

Guest Robin.B

Sloping runways have already been discussed several times ;)See the blogs of the ACES team.

>I think what he means is that the runway is already divided>into several pieces - it just uses one texture to cover it>all.Oh, ok.By the way I don't demand extraordinary variations in runway patterns. Say 10-20 GOOD runways repeated over all the the world and I would not be complaining. Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest pixelpoke_from_MSFT

>Jason,>>It seems to me that it would require a minimal amount of>programming/change to have a runway to be comprised of 3>different textures.>>1. A texture to cover the area from where the runway begins>until where most aircraft have completed touchdown; Which>would comprise of a mostly clear asphalt/concrete which would>then have increasing amounts of tire marks near the middle of>the texture, and then the tire marks would decrease near the>end of the texture>>2. Basically the same as above, for the other end of the>runway. It would be nice to have it as a seperate texture>though, so it could be possible to have both ends different.>>3. A texture with just a little bit of tire skid, which would>then be repeated from where the first texture begins up to>where the last texture starts.>Take a look at the attached image, and its creation date. :)Note that this doesn't in any way guarantee this will change. It's just a glimpse at some of *our* thought process.Cheers,JasonPS...I just realized that you won't be able to see the creation date of the image in question, so I've attached it's properties...

Excellent, thanks for sharing Jason. Is there a traffic density factor/variable allocated say to an airport or runway. That way variability of textures pertaining to the density of the skid marks can be engineered into each runway.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia