Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

Windows 10 mandatory for the Insider Program?

Microsoft are not using windows as a form of income any more but having everybody on the same page will benefit them, in a resent post windows will go to one big update each year instead of the 2 yearly ones at the moment, gaming and corporate is were they see the future. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

13 hours ago, Noooch said:

Thank you!! I owe you a beer 😉

My install is 6.5 years old and that means layers upon layers of programs on several HD/SSD  (including my Steam games library) . To think that the transfer from w7 to w10 will be smooth and without  glitches (or worse) is a bet I will not take at that time 😁 !  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

My install is 6.5 years old and that means layers upon layers of programs on several HD/SSD  (including my Steam games library) . To think that the transfer from w7 to w10 will be smooth and without  glitches (or worse) is a bet I will not take at that time 😁 !  

You should, it worked for me like a charm, it kept everything from W7 (preferences, bookmarks, passwords...) only the interface changed.

I am now ready for the Insider Program 🙂

By the way, what is the difference between the Maps App and Earth View App?

Edited by Noooch

15 minutes ago, Noooch said:

You should, it worked for me like a charm, it kept everything from W7 (preferences, bookmarks, passwords...) only the interface changed.

Good to hear, thanks. I am not worried for the browser environment, more for legacy games. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 8/6/2019 at 9:52 AM, DaWu said:

Win7 is dead. Time to switch

Yeah.  I finally gave in recently.  It's nice to have the "digital license" or whatever they call it.  I didn't even need my Win7 key.

There are some annoyances...and over protective UAC which I've totally disabled but overall I like it better.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 8/6/2019 at 1:26 AM, domkle said:

Hmm... why not back it up first? And all steam games should transfer fine.

Edited by Concodroid

14 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

Hmm... why not back it up first? And all steam games should transfer fine.

This is not the transfer which worries me but to be sure that older games work. I know they will eventually but tweaking, looking for compatibility Windows modes etc are chores without an obvious reward as I am still unconvinced that 10 is better than 7 for me. Now if FS20 is really good, I will swallow the pill.

Dominique

I hope Windows 10 is mandatory for every aspect of this from start to testing to release. 

It is time to leave the other versions in the past. 

It`s window 10 because of the windows Universal Windows Platform UWP, PC Tablet and XBOX cross platform. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 hours ago, domkle said:

This is not the transfer which worries me but to be sure that older games work. I know they will eventually but tweaking, looking for compatibility Windows modes etc are chores without an obvious reward as I am still unconvinced that 10 is better than 7 for me. Now if FS20 is really good, I will swallow the pill.

Then buy a fast and high storage SSD, install windows 10 on it, and try using it with your old applications. Don't install windows 10 on the HDD. Those that do work, run them with the SSD. Those that don't, well, go to BIOS, and switch the boot drive if you want to use the old applications on your old HDD. (Switching boot drives should only take around 20 seconds tops. I'm guessing you have an HDD, but since you have a 1080, I'm not sure...)

In any case, even a virtual machine running windows 7 will work with your old games.

17 hours ago, domkle said:

The solution was/is obvious - look at my sig. I reckon I have achieved the best of both o/s worlds so can easily brush aside all those supercilious comments regarding the operating system upgrade imperative.

All it required was an additional and reasonably capacious drive to accommodate Windows 10. Existing drives, including the Windows 7 drive, can be left alone and the system is run under a Dual Boot Setup. Drive letters of SSDs, other than the Windows 10 drive be configured to mirror that as seen by Windows 7. Win10 SSD appears as Windows (T) under Win7 and Win7 SSD appears as Windows (S) under Windows 10. Many existing Windows 7 games installations (e.g. from STEAM) that make little or no use of the Windows System Registry can be run from the Windows 10 GUI without the need for a second installation. Those that do can be installed exclusively under Windows 10. Many APPs do not require a separate licence to be installed under both o/s sharing the same hardware, so no additional expenditure penalty.

Currently Windows 7 is my preferred bootable o/s. That will change and is easily reconfigured via the Boot Manager. At which point the Windows 7 SSD can be reformatted and made available in its entirety to Windows 10.

As far as I have discovered, having enjoyed this setup now for the best part of a year, the only downside to this arrangement is having to update the same apps, utilities and drivers under both o/s which, at times, admittedly can be a little irritating. However, I regard this as being a very small price to pay for the ongoing ability to experience the best both worlds have to offer.

Of course I understand that those who chose to pursue the free upgrade path to Windows 10 would not have been able to utilise the Dual Boot option. However, that’s not a reason for some to denigrate another’s decision to remain with Windows 7 as their prime o/s for as long as it is practicable to do so.

I continue to see this as having been an eminently sensible and natural way to have handled the evolution while preserving an operating system that still has much to offer.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

The solution was/is obvious - look at my sig.

Then I think both my solution and yours (Mine is just above yours) combined would work. Copy all files, all windows files, etc, to a second drive, upgrade that to windows 10, and test out the apps.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! John, please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Of course I understand that those who chose to pursue the free upgrade path to Windows 10 would not have been able to utilise the Dual Boot option. However, that’s not a reason for some to denigrate another’s decision to remain with Windows 7 as their prime o/s for as long as it is practicable to do so.

I continue to see this as having been an eminently sensible and natural way to have handled the evolution while preserving an operating system that still has much to offer.

From my perspective, there is one good reason to denigrate another person's choice to run an older OS, and that's the security angle. 

Every older OS that falls out of official support becomes a target for hackers, and MS drops "extended" support for Win 7 on January 14 2020.

That threat has already happened with organizations running Windows XP, like the ransomware attack on UK hospitals last year, and the similar attack on the city of Baltimore's network this year. These are not attacks that can be prevented with normal anti-virus and anti-malware software; they often involve deep access to the kernel or even the BIOS. Both those organizations had good IT departments, but you can't completely protect computers running an outdated OS where the developer isn't continually tracking threats.

So if you keep a Windows XP computer connected to the Internet, you're potentially open to being infected and used as part of a ransomware bot net to harm others. Doesn't matter how good you think your anti-virus software is.

Anyone using a Windows 7 computer connected to the Internet after next January is about to enter that same status, with a target on your back. It's not really about what works for you, it's about the threat you might pose to others. 

Just my opinion, and I know there are people who won't give up their Win 7 regardless. I just hope they'll be treating these systems as a "black box" without an Internet connection after next January 14. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

31 minutes ago, shadnixx said:

the things with Windows 10 though..... it so, so bad.

It has certainly some things that are annoying, but overall it has way better technology than any other OS pre-successor.

Windows 7 only supports DirectX 11_0, which is a limited version of DirectX 11, clearly if you want to have all the best graphic effects, etc. you will need DirectX 12 with Ray tracing which Windows 10 can provide.

On a side note Windows 10 SMB 3.0 protocol technical advantages provides business with amazing high availability and resilience capabilities, so another example of why windows 10 is the way forward..

Regards 

Simbol