Sign in to follow this  
Berlopez

DX Issue FSX\Gold

That method seems the best next step especially if the User took ownership.

Before embarking on that I might check for example panel.cfg and have look around the components installed. Sometimes in these situations I found gauges and things outside of the FSX path. That meant there was some installation confused about locations. It's possible an older addon might do that on Win10.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

SteveW: 

Thanks for fallowing me in this endevour. I have been posting at captainsim\Forums and together with a moderator we have concluded that the best i can do is to reinstall FSX in its' own folder and not in Program Files like a nice  guy that helped me install it let it install by default. I just have to find the time to do this. I will report, Thanks for all your advice, greatly appreciated.

Berlopez 

Edited by Berlopez
more information
  • Like 1

Jim and steveW: That is the best guide, already have it in my favorites, just need to find time to do the uninstall/reinstall A.S.A.P. Reg. cap727 the moderator explainss that the fact that my sim got installed by default it creates permissions problems, though I knew that and asked the guy that helped install it he let it install by default all good intentions, when i got home with the computer and began to install my addons some gave me unwanted results like cap.727 and Wilco citation X Both missing gauges. I will report ASAP...

3-9-19  Just realized Acceleration is not in Control Panel under programs and features, don't understand Why the guy that helped me didn't include it; Anyway since the sim is not installed in the right folder I have to start from scratch.

Berlopez

Edited by Berlopez

It was OK to install Gold in program files, as it does by default. The only thing that some addons might need, like PMDG, is Users Group Modify Allow since they and others (for historic reasons) install user updateable files into the FSX program files folder. That only stops them updating their panel settings and saving plans.

It is not an issue of FSX being in Program Files, that's not any problem at all - otherwise it would not do it by default -it's a Microsoft Program.

Since you have taken ownership of the drive which includes the system settings and that includes installer Admins, that can cause problems you are experiencing.

It is not fair to blame the help you had when Gold was installed. That was in fact done properly.

However my feelings are that you are more familiar with FSX installed into your private folder such as C:\FSX\. Therefore I suggested that may be a better way forward, and it might help that addon to work in some way, that's not clear.

A few notes hopefully to clarify those situation. Probably muddies the water as well:

When we make a folder in our folders we own it: Say we make a New Folder and call it C:\FSX, that folder is owned by us. If we make it on a drive D:\FSX it is owned by us, we are the logged in user. Even admins do not have access to that. When we install to it as User we are an Admin, if we are the first user of the PC. Otherwise we could not do anything on that PC.

When we install software into that folder we own, some programs might install for all users, some may not. Either way that can become an issue depending on the quality of the installer.

Generally they are OK.

However I take the precaution of setting the Users group Modify Allow on that folder.

I've never had an issue with any add-on. However the issue I do see are 99% related to that advice of moving the FSX location.

Edited by SteveW

My advice:

Buy FSX on Steam, install it. Done. And don't start messing around with .cfg files. IMHO, 90% of problems start with folks messing around with folders and settings, fiddly this, fiddly that. With little to show for, often based on outdated "advice" from so-called "FSX-Gurus".😉

And no amount of super duper computer hardware is going to fix FSX's memory limitation. 

I installed FSX-Steam on Windows 10. Never had a problem, except OOMs (which I expected to run into).

Thanks for wise words Ricardo, have learned all this through experience in all my FS years, just can't do with out it

Just found Acceleration was NOT Installed, can't explain/recall why 😠 Not holding it against the guy that that helped me. Regardless since FSX is not installed in a folder in my C:\ a complete reinstall would be nessesary in order to install the acceleration disc.

Edited by Berlopez
more information

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

My advice:

Buy FSX on Steam, install it. Done. And don't start messing around with .cfg files. IMHO, 90% of problems start with folks messing around with folders and settings, fiddly this, fiddly that. With little to show for, often based on outdated "advice" from so-called "FSX-Gurus".😉

And no amount of super duper computer hardware is going to fix FSX's memory limitation. 

I installed FSX-Steam on Windows 10. Never had a problem, except OOMs (which I expected to run into).

That's correct for forumites. Whereas, my advice comes from a professional perspective handling thousands of enquiries about thousands of PC's not just one personal computer.

Recapping, the OP has used FSX boxed for a while, and likes to use a particular aircraft that shows some components missing. There's no DX 10 Preview checkbox so the second disk is not installed correctly or the computer DX setup is incorrect.

So removing FSX boxed and installing FSX Steam might be a good way to go but it might not work for the same reasons FSX Boxed does not. Also the aircraft he likes may need a different installer if it is old it may have other issues on FSX:SE.

In any case FSX boxed works without the hassles explained and they don't appear to be related to the location of FSX, that's just one way to baffle folk obfuscation about FSX location. I too  have experienced no issues with either FSX version.

Here's the thing about FSX:SE Steam Version for all those FSX geniuses out there:

You will find that the program files folder of FSX:SE gives the Users Group the Modify Allow permission.

That is already, just as I have stated to do so with the Boxed version of FSX. Also I said to do so with any folder you create to install software that runs for any user on that PC.

My case rests.

Many views on this subject are incorrect, short sighted, and based on basic lack of understanding of how windows programs work.

There are possible issues with FSX:SE.

For example when we look at the Program Data folder of FSX:SE the Users Group does not have modify access. That means scenery adjusting programs that come with scenery like airports, have issues if not run as admin.

And since it's system files they basically should be an admin to change those.

But this presents a problem when run as admin can't be used, for example at boarding schools.

FSX Boxed instead provides modify access to the Users (authenticated Users on an NT server), that means that scenery adjusters can alter setting in their package without admin rights.

Problems with Boxed is that Users don't have modify on the program files folder so that aircraft paints can't be changed or the FMC can't save a plan without admin rights.

So we simply provide Modify Allow for the Users there. That works with all software in boarding schools without admin.

In other words software and how it works is more complicated than the average FSX user can imagine.

Edited by SteveW

So getting back on the problem in hand, with the software in use:

The reason of taking ownership would be down to mis-information about the way permissions work in FSX and Windows. That's now been done and that can have an issue. Having said that it should still be OK to run installers as that User that took ownership.

I write professional Windows Application Installers and removers, I can't vouch for how other off the shelf packages might work with FSX add-ons. They should be OK.

So that points to getting FSX on the PC properly running, before attempting to install any add-ons. Often the big mistake is to install more stuff before evaluating the install of FSX.

I would attempt to see if that Boxed version can be repaired or reinstalled to work correctly and show the DX10 box. Since the PC is supposedly OK with that.

SteveW First thanks for all the replies, they are enlightening, despite my lack of computer knowledge.  I have had FSX\Gold running flawlessly in XP, Vista & 7 (x32) where I was adviced to to edit permission, to avoid issues with certain software packages, this I did and FSX worked to my satisfaction. The only issues I encountered were OOM's and Graphics Issues mainly caused because of the lack memory in those computers. Finally I get a used Dell Precision Tower 7810 with enough RAM to run FSX and it comes with Windows10 (X64) And I run into all these issues. I want to make it clear now I don't blame the guy that kindly helped me install it ! Is just that now I find he didn't install the Acceleration Disc !? I am wondering why? And BTW what if I were to install at this tage ? Or is it better to reinstall the whole thing into a folder I create in my C:\ ?  I would attempt to see if this version can be repaired, I suppose by putting the first disc into the DVD, Right?

Look forwards to advice.

Berlopez

I was under the impression Gold was installed with the two disks.

Since many addons don't work unless the second disk is installed, I would install it and check out those planes again.

SteveW, No FSX Gold is Acceleration it consists of three discs, 2 FSX that when installed must be validated with a key and a third disc Acceleration which also must be validated with another key. Both the first discs are installed, once all three are installed they'll show  in Control Panel windows7 programs and features. Flight simulator X: Acceleration,Which is what shows in my Windows 7 computer. In my Windows 10 only Flight Simulator X shows...

Berlopez

Edited by Berlopez
more info