Sign in to follow this  
Berlopez

DX Issue FSX\Gold

Hi SteveW

I am Still installing FSX\Acc. Still have some issue, for instance a transparency issue with my Wilco tilt rotor the plane is transparent when on outside views; Not sure is a dx issue, I am no expert, so I don't intent to sound like one, just guessing. I also have gauges issues with my wilco citx and cap727, empty clocks. By now I've reinstalled the cap727 so many times that I got a message that I had exceeded the number allowed...What ever that means, per day or for the rest of my days ??

I don't have a dx preview box/window in windows10 (x64). despite the fact that windows10 uses direct x12 and most addons use x9 I can only say I am looking forwards to advice and guidelines.

Thanks in advance: berlopez 

Hi,

The FSX install should show the DX 10 box if you have Win10 and a reasonable graphics card in there. If it's a laptop it may not suit possibly. Even if you are using DX9 the 10 box should show up.

I would try reinstalling the second disk from the gold set.

The installers for addons authenticate against a number of entries in the account, might be 5 attempts then you go to the store, log in and use a form to get the key reset.

It's possible one addon has caused some trouble in the sim.

Without hands on I can't say what the problems are. Generally most problems can be sorted out easily, sat at the PC.

Alternatively start a properly fresh install of FSX might be a way to sort it out. If you want to try that let me know I'll step you through it..

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi SteveW Thanks for your reply. I just got my key resat by captainsim, always good service! but I want to know if the addon is compatible with Win10 at all ? So I posted this question in my reply to the moderator...Awaiting response as the download link I got is only good till Sunday. I wonder why two installers didn't work, I did post and asked and i got a reply that it was compatible with win10, at one point I had gauges and 2D panels, now only the GPS panel showed. Odd ?

Thanks for your offer of assisting me on a reinstall I will certainly take on the offer, as a friend's son was the one who assisted me on installing and he installed FSX\Accl. default to Program Files(x86).

Have a great weekend:Berlopez

Ok. Some situations might mean that some addons could make problems, but the location is usually OK. So what I do is get it going properly first, no addons or anything like that. New versions of Windows can present problems too. Then look at each addon.

Hi SteveW Could not wait so I launched the installer and installed cap727-100, funny I have had it since 2004 in various OS's and it has never given me any problems, Not even in Vista or at the beginning when 7 came out and 8 & 8.1 ( As you might have guessed I am no computer expert or guru, just love FS ). Anyway I got exactly the same results, empty black gauges and panels 😝 I have checked via Device manager for driver for my graphics card, it's up to date.

Will continue...Thanks for your fallow up.

Berlopez

Seems like the gauges are not installed properly.

if you installed to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Can you run regedit.exe - Windows Key + R, Run, regedit.exe

navigate to

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

look on the right for the item:

AppPath

should contain:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Some addons check that for the installation.

Generally that's a harmless procedure if you need to change it, but take care not to change anything else.

Wow! Talk about surgery ! Did as you describe above and my path matches what you describe above to the "T"

Berlopez

Good job! At least that part is not confusing anything. I'll have a think what you can try next...

Explorer window, navigate to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Right-click on that folder, so the popup menu appears.

Choose Properties.

Select the Security Tab.

Press the Edit button.

Select the item called Users(MyPC\Users).

in the box below "Permissions for Users"

Tick the box Modify Allow.

Choose Apply, Ok.

Now to Install the aircraft again - right click on the installer and choose Run as Admin.

He,he… Learning along the way too, believe me I am doing a bit of my bit in the meantime to see if I might get lucky. I am backing up as I go...

I am sitting here next to my old win7 (x32) computer an old 13 year old machine which I also bought used from the same shop I got this used Dell Tower 7810 and comparring files.

SteveW One of the first things I did before beggining to install my addons was to edit the security and give me Full Control, just like I did in Vista and 7 and 8 I just checked and all the tabs are checked. Everytime I have run the installer I run as adminitrator, last night I ran out of options as I wrote above and a few minutes ago I got a new installer via captainsim and that's the one I've been using since. 😕

I also own the wilco citationX and it doesn't show 2D panel or gauges x2 😕 Oddly I own Legacy too and that's works by the book.

I will continue sometime tomorrow, other chores call. Thanks for your support:

Berlopez 

Should be OK. Sometimes things can go wrong when setting that way as installers use admins and when you have full control some admins may not. Also some changes to the user account can alter the outcome.

The proper way is stock install of Win10, no changes to any security, install FSX to stock locations, set Users Modify Allow on the program folder. Run FSX between disks and after. Make the Modify Allow before installing addons. That way always works with no issues now or in the future.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1

I've found some systems with security tweaks have been recovered by adding a new user account, giving them Admin Privileges exactly as the First User Account on the machine would have. Then install in the way as I said above. Depends on a lot of things.

When I look on the forums from the past about the missing gauges and parts, there seems to be a lot of worry about where FSX is installed. The fact is that it's not an FSX problem but an Addon problem. The problem is generally obfuscated on the forums leading to security tweaks.

In general most addons will work in a folder you create and install FSX into, simply because you own that folder. But also in the forums I see still not working that way. The private folder installation is generally very reliable but is not the best way because sometimes since you own it an install can go wrong that way.

In short the private folder install of FSX is usually OK but some items can fail. So when I put FSX on a private folder or other drive I give that 'Users Modify Allow' just the same so that nothing can go wrong. And any user account can work.

Edited by SteveW

SteveW One of the first things I did before beggining to install my addons was to edit the security and give me Full Control, just like I did in Vista and 7 and 8 I just checked and all the tabs are checked. Everytime I have run the installer I run it as adminitrator, last night I ran out of options as I wrote above and a few minutes ago I got a new installer via captainsim and that's the one I've been using since. 😕

I also own the wilco citationX and it doesn't show 2D panel or gauges x2 😕 Oddly I own Legacy too and that's works by the book.

I will continue sometime tomorrow, other chores call. Thanks for your support:

Berlopez