Sign in to follow this  
Indy511

New Orbx Central v4.0 now available to download

10 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Or what would you advise icw Central 4 ?

To be honest - I don't know yet. I haven't used it myself, and it will be a couple of days until I can. Gut feeling tells me that I will wait until I use FTX Central on my simulator computer. I will try it on a devel system or a test computer first. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Alright, I played around a bit more with the discovery method vs the direct package distribution. To sum it up, there is no difference in loading time between both methods. My finding was nothing more than a spurious correlation that resulted from some large photo sceneries I deactivated on the weekend and forgot about it. Sorry for spreading wrong information here.

But I still think that loading times with the xml-method are longer compared to the old scenery.cfg-method. It makes sense to me that some hundred new ORBX packages will increase loading times and no developer has tried it yet in this scale.  

Also, once more a big thanks to Oliver for his explanations and clarification. 

• Like 2

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

19 minutes ago, Wolkenschreck said:

But I still think that loading times with the xml-method are longer compared to the old scenery.cfg-method.

Sure, reading and parsing multiple XMLs will take longer than reading a single .cfg file. But I am not sure that you will be able to notice that, these are all "cheap" operations that don't require a lot of processing power (unless you count the additional disk access events - but those only matter if you already have a performance problem with file access in general).

I am pretty sure that the actual scenery indexing and loading will only happen after all asset paths are completely determined - and if that is true, then for that "expensive" process it doesn't matter in the slightest where that list of paths initially came from. I came to that conclusion because this whole process is not only about scenery. There are CFG files and add-on package components for every type of simulator asset. In a "normal" program, developed to the usual standards, you would collect all that path information first, build lookup tables or lists, and then feed these to the processes that require them - scenery scanner, aircraft scanner, shaders, autogen, weather - etc. there are 15 different types of assets in play here, that can be linked by a cfg or an XML file!

Of course, P3D can work totally differently, but still - just determining the path where the sim shall look for stuff isn't performance intensive, and you would only notice a delay when the same operation would be repeated on a massive scale. With file access and XML parsing, "massive" would mean hundreds of thousands of files, not a couple of hundred.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

35 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

To be honest - I don't know yet. I haven't used it myself, and it will be a couple of days until I can. Gut feeling tells me that I will wait until I use FTX Central on my simulator computer. I will try it on a devel system or a test computer first. 

Best regards

Can you keep us informed as you are an expert ? 

Thanks in advance , Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

25 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Can you keep us informed as you are an expert ? 

No more an expert than any of you. I can only drop it in and see what happens... I wanted to collect more user experience before I do though. I already learned a few valuable things that I need to watch out for.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

For those planning on migrating Orbx scenery now, be prepared for many duplicate files in P3D root. I feel a clean install of P3D and installation of Orbx Central 4 with library location set from the beginning, the better and cleaner option. 

• Like 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

6 minutes ago, SolRayz said:

For those planning on migrating Orbx scenery now, be prepared for many duplicate files in P3D root. I feel a clean install of P3D and installation of Orbx Central 4 with library location set from the beginning, the better and cleaner option. 

I stated in the ORBX forum that I was not touching FTXC v4 until my next full install. Unless Oliver finds a way to get this upgrade done smoothly, I'm staying with v3. I hope that users who are having issues are able to resolve them without having to re-install. It's a word not allowed to have to go through a full install for what amounts to a new way of buying ORBX add-ons.

• Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hmm, I use GEXP3D and UTX along with ORBX regions. Don't use Global or Vector on this system. Anyone know how v4 handles that type of system?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just completed migrating 188 Orbx titles from the P3D core folder to a new folder (Orbx library) on same P3D dedicated SSD drive.
Only duplicates were the FTX AI in the SimObjects folder, simply deleted that.
Renamed the old Orbx folder in P3D to confirm no errors when loading the sim. This tip was mentioned in the Orbx forum.
Elevation issue at EGHA Compton was reported at the Orbx forum and was resolved by putting that scenery layer above the EU Region using Lorby's Addon Organizer.

I arranged the Orbx layers to what they were in the past.
1 All 3rd party airports
2 FTX Orbx Airports
3 FTX Orbx Regions
4 Tongass Fjords Higher
   Tongass Fjords Lower
5 FTX Orbx Global Open LC
6 FTX Global Vector

I checked several airports for any potential elevation issues and found none so far. Tongass Fjords still looks good.
As for the Vector tool to run the AEC use PAO to export library to scenery.cfg for the Vector AEC to read. Noticing no increase in P3D load time as some have reported.

Think I will just stay with FTX Central 3 for the time being! Looks like there is a lot that needs to get straightened out. And I have to say now that I have finally moved from P3Dv4.4 to v4.5 everything is working better than ever before. Faster load times, autogen performance has improved, generally smoother performance than before. A few problems with UK2000 vfr airports, otherwise it's great. I think I will just enjoy the sim while everything is working so well!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Hmm, I use GEXP3D and UTX along with ORBX regions. Don't use Global or Vector on this system. Anyone know how v4 handles that type of system?

I was wondering the same thing, i use UTX and Orbx OLC and I had to move the UTX scenery.cfg entries around manually to get things working properly.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Sounds too scary to upgrade to FTX Central 4.  I WILL wait until the dust settles as one forum member has stated.  This transition should be seamless and just a click.  I don't want to risk any of my ORBX installations or have to play with any files.

I will not buy ORBX products until this is a click away from upgrading.  Anything else to me will be unacceptable.  I've worked too hard to download all of their products after updating anything on my system.  I love their products but I'm not going to risk a massive install again.

Stan

• Upvote 1

Scary indeed Stan.

I've just loaded P3Dv4.5 for the first time since upgrading to Central 4.02.

I have an 8700K CPU at 5000Mhz with 32GB RAM and an RTX 2080 TI overclocked with 11GB RAM.

Everything is on SSD.

Prior to ORBX Central 4.02, my load time for the TFDI 717 at EGLL was 5 minutes and 7seconds and everything looked great with all things ORBX.

My load time today was 21 minutes and 25 seconds of which 17 minutes and 50 seconds was just looking at 6%

If that's not bad enough, Once I'm out of the airport all the ground textures look like garbage.

I'm not sure what I'll do from here, try to restore from my backups, spend a day or so investigating what ORBX has done to me or spend a month reinstalling P3D.

IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME 😞

How does this change affect the transition from 4.4. to 4.5. I hadn't moved to 4.5 yet but was looking to do so relatively soon. Once I do the client update, don't I need to run FTX Central again? Will this cause problems and headaches?

14 minutes ago, kymh said:

Scary indeed Stan.

I've just loaded P3Dv4.5 for the first time since upgrading to Central 4.02.

I have an 8700K CPU at 5000Mhz with 32GB RAM and an RTX 2080 TI overclocked with 11GB RAM.

Everything is on SSD.

Prior to ORBX Central 4.02, my load time for the TFDI 717 at EGLL was 5 minutes and 7seconds and everything looked great with all things ORBX.

My load time today was 21 minutes and 25 seconds of which 17 minutes and 50 seconds was just looking at 6%

If that's not bad enough, Once I'm out of the airport all the ground textures look like garbage.

I'm not sure what I'll do from here, try to restore from my backups, spend a day or so investigating what ORBX has done to me or spend a month reinstalling P3D.

IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME 😞

That is ridiculous, I'm sorry to hear that.

• Upvote 1