Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

The new FTX Central wiped me out...

I'm going to install ORBX Central and migrate everything to a library. I'm trying to verify that, on my system, it works fine with no migration to a library (leave everything where it is) and then whether or not it works fine after the migration. I'll let you know what happens. I gotta believe the ORBX files are still somewhere on Noel's computer. Even when P3D is uninstalled the files are still there as the PD3 uninstaller only uninstall the P3D stuff not the add-ons. And if, in fact, they were migrated to a library somewhere they should still be there in that case also..........Doug

PS: I just did a full backup of my ORBX  "stuff"  (I own all the products) just in case..........

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hello Doug,

Noel says he had P3D v3, which does not involve any migrating of files.

With one or two minor exceptions, Orbx Central works with an FTX Central

installation without the need to change or migrate anything.

Unless you have a really good reason to empty your P3D v4 ORBX folder, it will be

a huge amount of time spent on something that does not need to be done.

Your choice of course.

Edited by Reader

Good catch.....I totally missed the v3 part. Makes my point moot. But, I'm still going to migrate everything to a library on another drive as my current P3D drive is a little short of space...............Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Doing a search like, for instance, *!FTX*.bgl with the Windows Explorer should show where the OrbX sceneries are. It is indeed most probable that they are still in the computer  after the deletion of P3D.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I searched both my C and D drives for !FTX*.bgl and came up empty.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Well, this is an unfortunate head scratcher.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions, we will see if we can navigate through this.

1st, do you still have an Orbx A/c that you can log into. [not the forums], the one you purchase airports through.

If so, if you log in, and click on an airport you know you purchased, does it say, "You already own this airport"? 

Secondly, do you have on your 'home' screen, ie, the screen your PC opens up at when you start it - do you have anywhere there an icon, [a small box with words about size of a postage stamp],  for Orbx Central?

T45

21 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I searched both my C and D drives for !FTX*.bgl and came up empty.

Noel

Search for FTX*

No ! and no bgl

Bert

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

I'm going to install ORBX Central and migrate everything to a library. I'm trying to verify that, on my system, it works fine with no migration to a library (leave everything where it is) and then whether or not it works fine after the migration. I'll let you know what happens. I gotta believe the ORBX files are still somewhere on Noel's computer. Even when P3D is uninstalled the files are still there as the PD3 uninstaller only uninstall the P3D stuff not the add-ons. And if, in fact, they were migrated to a library somewhere they should still be there in that case also..........Doug

PS: I just did a full backup of my ORBX  "stuff"  (I own all the products) just in case..........

First update. After installing ORBX Central everything was fine. Since I own everything I couldn't install anything new but I was able to uninstall/reinstall successfully. I'm now in the process of migrating everything to a library folder. And I gotta tell ya.....this is worse than watching paint dry. It's going to take hours and hours to do this. What's so hard about moving files to a new location? If it doesn't speed up a bit I'm afraid my whiskey bottle will run dry...................

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Computers don't mind grinding files during your sleep, they don't need sleep themselves 😏 !  I remember long ago there was a program to make sceneries à la OrbX with the USGS data. I downloaded the raw data in my 486 (it is that old) before going to bed and the computer had a scenery ready for me in the morning. No strong spirit needed. A night cap maybe only.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

48 minutes ago, W2DR said:

And I gotta tell ya.....this is worse than watching paint dry. It's going to take hours and hours to do this.

Yup, but the upside is once done, you will be able to enable/disable add/delete stuff on the fly in a heartbeat

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

And I gotta tell ya.....this is worse than watching paint dry. It's going to take hours and hours to do this. What's so hard about moving files to a new location? If it doesn't speed up a bit I'm afraid my whiskey bottle will run dry...................

I simply cannot resist the opportunity to say "I told you so"😊

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

The system works by moving your files to a new location and creating virtual links from there to the sim..... Did you assign a new location for your files, and have you checked there?

You don't have to migrate anything unless you choose to do so. A good reading of the manual would be very convenient before using the new interface.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I found so many duplicate files throughout P3D after migration, mostly in Scenery/World folder and Simobjects/Airplane. I'm sure there are are more. Best thing is to wait for the next fresh install of P3D instead of migrating now. 

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

6 hours ago, scianoir said:

Where does it put them Bert?

I’m out of the country at the moment and away from my computer so haven’t come across the new FTX Central (perhaps luckily!) yet. Is there an option to stick with the previous version?

Bill

You don't have to migrate any existing ORBX files outside your sim directory, UNLESS you choose to do so. I downloaded ORBX Central yesterday, created the new libraries (or the directory to save the new/future ORBX products to be installed outside the main P3D directory). Any existing ORBX scenery remained the same, untouched in the scenery.CFG configuration file.

If you're away from your computer you could download at least the user manual to get familiar with the new interface, before downloading and installing it.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

40 minutes ago, edpatino said:

You don't have to migrate anything unless you choose to do so.

Nope, you don't absolutely have to, but for at least for me, it's kind of the whole point of the new system. Why even bother downloading, if not to use it to its fullest potential?

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5