Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

FSX:SE does it not work on Ryzen 3xxx cpu's?

Just reinstalled the base game + PMDG 737 + FSUIPC paid version.  Just trying to load a basic flight, in DX10 mode (don't have Fixer reinstalled yet) it completely locks my system.  In DX9  I went to load a flight and the screen (dual monitor setup) just went black and that was it and Task Manager said it wasn't responding.  Not sure what to make of this other than my FSX days might finally be over 😞 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Ok well the DX9 thing seems to be just a general issue, the Steam forums all say DX10 to fix it, so I guess I definitely need to get my Fixer install issue fixed.  Also I did a complete uninstall/delete/reinstall of FSX, deleting the appdata folders as well.  No issues so far in DX10, however I also didn't try reinstalling FSUIPC which I noticed hasn't been updated in a few years so I'm hoping it's not a recent Win10 updates issue causing problems with it.  The only other new things I did were to turn off the steam overlay and to turn off GSync.  Not sure which if any of those had an effect.  Next experiment is to try exiting the game in full screen.  That was locking it every time. (using the menu)

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

What graphics card are you useing ?

FYI my win10 FSX combo is running fine, all up to date. ( running intel though)

Running latest version of FSUIPC also.

Luke Pype

7 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

What graphics card are you useing ?

FYI my win10 FSX combo is running fine, all up to date. ( running intel though)

Running latest version of FSUIPC also.

GTX 1070.  So far it seemed to be behaving last night, but I haven't had a chance to really test it since the uninstall/reinstall.  Kinda trying to wait on getting a working Fixer installer since I definitely have to be in DX10 which is of course very broken without DX10 fixes.

Wow, well now it's not behaving so well.  Not sure if it was doing it before, but now that I have all my Orbx stuff installed, it keeps randomly spiking ALL 16 threads with a ton of activity.  That seems very unusual for a sim that was not very multi-threaded.  Not sure if it's an issue with the new Ryzen stuff, or something with FSX:SE I never noticed on my old 4790K.  I never did any affinity mask/etc on my old system as it didn't seem to need it.  I think at this point it just may be time to switch to a new sim.

Edited by flyinion

mate...who cares whats going on with the threads?...whats it flying like?...is it smooth?

Not many, atm, are running sims with AMD....it is known sims like intel equipment.

that is probably why you don't have many responses to your topic.

switchin' sims because your threads are being used makes no sense. 

My cpu maxes core 1, with other threads also showing activity. there all doing something. non are idle.

Bare in mind your running orbx scenery, yes i'd expect heavy  use from the cpu.

How do you know what your seeing isn't perfectly normal? ( as in AMD behavior)

You could run P3D and have the exact same behavior.

Luke Pype

11 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

mate...who cares whats going on with the threads?...whats it flying like?...is it smooth?

Not many, atm, are running sims with AMD....it is known sims like intel equipment.

that is probably why you don't have many responses to your topic.

switchin' sims because your threads are being used makes no sense. 

My cpu maxes core 1, with other threads also showing activity. there all doing something. non are idle.

Bare in mind your running orbx scenery, yes i'd expect heavy  use from the cpu.

How do you know what your seeing isn't perfectly normal? ( as in AMD behavior)

You could run P3D and have the exact same behavior.

Well, I need to do more testing with it.  I just don't remember my Intel systems loading all the cores like that, but maybe the Steam edition actually changed more stuff under the hood than I thought.  I haven't simmed super seriously since I switched from the DVD to Steam version a couple Windows reinstalls ago.  I did put XPlane 11 demo on last night and with things pretty cranked it was doing quite well.  Maybe I'll temporarily disable all the OrbX stuff and recheck behavior.  I only checked FPS before/after installing my OrbX stuff. 

Also, if it's going to keep cycling all the threads like that I won't be able to do much until I get my watercooling stuff put into the system in a couple weeks.  Just running the stock cooler that comes with it for now and it was getting quite toasty which results in downclocking on these new gen CPU's just like modern GPU's do.  I remembered today I also need to check GPU usage and see if I'm running into some GPU limit with my 1070 since I'm running 1440p now vs 1080.

Edited by flyinion

My install of FSX-Acceleration (the old, boxed version) will use all 4 cores of my old Core-2-Quad Q9650 CPU.  The full use of core 0 is pretty much a constant, the use of core 1, 2, and 3 is somewhat spiky.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

12 hours ago, stans said:

My install of FSX-Acceleration (the old, boxed version) will use all 4 cores of my old Core-2-Quad Q9650 CPU.  The full use of core 0 is pretty much a constant, the use of core 1, 2, and 3 is somewhat spiky.

Thanks yeah I did some more testing yesterday including vs my old 4790k system. Looked like it was doing similar. Guess I wasn't expecting it since it was so poorly optimized for multi core. Definitely need to get my water cooling up and running though so I can get temps down to allow the CPU to run at higher clocks automatically. I was hitting mid to upper 70's at just a few minutes in to a test flight over Seattle in PNW OrbX region with a default aircraft.  I could shut down my 4790k and steal its Noctua heatsink for a bit but I don't have an AM4 mount for it 

My experience with FSX running on hypertheaded Intel CPUs is that its default execution behavior will automatically run its threads on the primary cores and leave the remaining "hyper" cores alone.  Looks that that thread execution mechanism fails with the 3000 AMD cpus, which may be a bad thing performance wise, as in smoothness.  If smoothness is lacking, setting the affinity mask in the .cfg file should help.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

8 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

My experience with FSX running on hypertheaded Intel CPUs is that its default execution behavior will automatically run its threads on the primary cores and leave the remaining "hyper" cores alone.  Looks that that thread execution mechanism fails with the 3000 AMD cpus, which may be a bad thing performance wise, as in smoothness.  If smoothness is lacking, setting the affinity mask in the .cfg file should help.

I'm guessing as the new boards get BIOS updates, driver updates, and Windows gets a couple patches, the early stuff with performance will clear up a bit too.  These things have been out just over a month at this point.  I think I read something the other day that the next round of BIOS code updates from AMD is supposed to bring some performance optimizations as well, but yeah I may need to try an affinity mask.  Need to go find the one for the 8/16 core/thread cpu's.

Also yeah I just played with the masks a bit.  Putting it only on cores 1-7 (leaving 0 free) and no HT cores (or whatever AMD calls them) gave a solid performance boost.  Stayed @ or above 25fps leaving KSEA in a PMDG 737-800 which was impossible on my 4790K with the same GPU, at 1080p, and I"m at 1440 now.  Some more tweaking, and cooler temps for higher boost either via auto boosting or direct multi-core OC'ing (might have to manual OC for it since it uses more cores than I was thinking).

7 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

Seems your getting somewhere with it !

Good luck!

Thanks, yeah that same test flight with no mask was upper teens and blurry popping textures right off the end of the runway in spot view.  Locking it to 7 cores with a mask gave me 25+.  So now I just need to get those temps down to improve boost behavior and/or manual overclock for better multi-core performance and maybe play with some other masks.  In addition to waiting for another round or two of BIOS/driver optimizations.

Oh forgot to mention these comparisons are vs my 4790K at 4.4 all core clock.  The Ryzen was averaging 4.15 to 4.2 last night. Locking down the memory timings on it may help as well (supposed to be a big boost vs cpu clocks), but that's a new area for me so I'm kinda in the learning stage there.  Many review sites were showing 10-15fps+ on demanding titles at 1080p by dialing in the memory timings/subtimings.  

Still no idea about the original problem from this thread of the black screen in DX9 after starting a flight from the startup screen.  Seems that's just a general FSX issue though from what I can see in the Steam forums/etc.  So thankfully Steve got me a working installer for the DX10 fixer.  It's not the latest but matches the latest that was available to me on FSS before they went belly up.