Sign in to follow this  
Jcannon

Hunting an FPS loss

Sorry for the poor title, but its pretty much my issue.

Running P3d v4.5 with active sky and REX sky force, I found a huge FPS loss when it comes to the detailed clouds option. Flying into TAPA last night they was a storm going on which caused my normal 30(locked) or 50+(unlocked) for that region to plummet to the single digits. I have never had any fps loss with this option being used before and normally had it on the highest setting, but i'm guessing my hiatus from playing has been very limited over the last month or two due to lack of performance.

No matter where the slider was at, low medium high, if detailed clouds option was ticked the FPS dropped down to single digits. Could anyone shed light on whats going on with this setting when I use it. 

TIA

Jack Cannon

Have a look what Res textures you have set in SKy force. I suggest you set them to DTX5 512 or 1014 max.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I would say that what you experienced is completely normal. I can fly at 25 fps and if there is a storm with massive cloud coverage, it will drop to 

single figures.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

My Cloud/cCirro type resolutions are set at 512x512

Jack Cannon

29 minutes ago, Jcannon said:

Hey, thanks for the replies.

My Cloud/cCirro type resolutions are set at 512x512

Then its all down to you P3D setting. You could try 3 layers withing AS!

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

When your frame rates get hammered by clouds in P3D, it's usually because your GPU is maxxed out.  If you have aggressive AA settings and HD clouds, that'll hit hard, because the GPU is trying to sharpen the edges of...fuzzy...clouds.  Lower resolution clouds helps, as well as reducing AA levels (say, from SSAA to 4xMSAA).  Higher-end GPUs also handle this load much better...a 2080Ti can deal with clouds at 4k res with impunity in situations where a 1070 will struggle to stay in double-digit territory.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

...a 2080Ti can deal with clouds at 4k res with impunity in situations where a 1070 will struggle to stay in double-digit territory.

Interesting Bob.

Do you have REX EF by any chance? I was also experiencing mysterious FPS loss lately, usually in overcast conditions. I use Auto mode in EF and found out that if I press "Reset manufacturing settings" the FPS usually goes back up to normal for a short time but when EF starts doing it's thing again it goes back down again.

On 8/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, w6kd said:

When your frame rates get hammered by clouds in P3D, it's usually because your GPU is maxxed out.  If you have aggressive AA settings and HD clouds, that'll hit hard, because the GPU is trying to sharpen the edges of...fuzzy...clouds.  Lower resolution clouds helps, as well as reducing AA levels (say, from SSAA to 4xMSAA).  Higher-end GPUs also handle this load much better...a 2080Ti can deal with clouds at 4k res with impunity in situations where a 1070 will struggle to stay in double-digit territory.

Regards

Agree, i have one spare 2080TI that i dont used, i put it in the sim pc ( better to use it than laying in a drawer) and start run SLI with the 2080Ti , the only difference is in really bad weather and  at night. run Rex EF and  2048HD clouds ( shall test 4096  think it shall work ok) res 4K , AA 4SSAA.

the difference is similar to 2 x 1080TI SLI vs single 1080TI not as much but close need more cpu power , i know that you run SLI with 1080TI as me , it have the same drawbacks to live with as before.

If i want is no big deal to turn down the settings ( save P3D profile ) and disable SLI as i did with the 1080TI ,to run TDFI, AS A320 , and XP11 ( dont support SLI as P3D do )for example.

Edited by westman

1200$ can do 4k stuff while 300$ can't get you anywhere! well that was obvious !! Fact is , Clouds are not all GPU dependent, as LM Staff stated in LM Forum Clouds are processed by both the CPU and GPU and the load on each of them depends on the distance to the cloud!

On 8/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Do you have REX EF by any chance? I was also experiencing mysterious FPS loss lately, usually in overcast conditions. I use Auto mode in EF and found out that if I press "Reset manufacturing settings" the FPS usually goes back up to normal for a short time but when EF starts doing it's thing again it goes back down again.

This is because of the cloud morphing options in the automation window. It’s expands the size of the clouds to add realism, the up-shot, lower FPS. Disable 3D cloud morphing and cirrus morphing. This will help. FYI make sure the 3D clouds are rest back to .50 in the manual tweaking mode after doing the above. 

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.