Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

August 8th Update - Microsoft is taking over support of FSX again

Just a thought... maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here? The page about the new MSFS with the turboprop header image is still up (with no new information) on the xbox.com domain, with links to the teaser trailer and photos:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

The page we've been discussing in this thread is on the flightsimulator.com domain.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/fsx-august-8/

I don't know why they'd leave the other page active, if this other domain was where news about the new sim would be announced? I guess we still need to follow both pages to figure out what the heck is going on here.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

6 minutes ago, irrics said:

....FSX can die in a hot fire for all I care at this point. 

You've seen some of my landings then? :ph34r::biggrin:

Would it matter if MS announced and end of life for FSX? I mean FS 2004 is still working and used by many, so surely FSX will still work in the future

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I find this "More on our FSX plans coming soon…" not as good news. Just let FSX die in peace and focus on MSFS2020 please.

Edited by Thac
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, irrics said:

FSX can die in a hot fire for all I care at this point. 

You hurt MSFS2020 feelings already. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

31 minutes ago, carmined said:

PS: Hint — Announcement coming next update:

logo-300x87.png

They told us exactly what the next update would be about so I'm not sure why so many people are dumfounded!

Honestly. I though it was going to be some kind of reference or tribute to FSX, or some old function that was being implemented in the new sim. 

Not an announcement of the old FSX. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Just a thought... maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here? The page about the new MSFS with the turboprop header image is still up (with no new information) on the xbox.com domain, with links to the teaser trailer and photos:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

The page we've been discussing in this thread is on the flightsimulator.com domain.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/fsx-august-8/

I don't know why they'd leave the other page active, if this other domain was where news about the new sim would be announced? I guess we still need to follow both pages to figure out what the heck is going on here.

I will explain what the heck is going on. They sold Xbox.com domain last night to DTG wich made an agreement with LM years ago when FSW died, and they secretly fusionning to create a brand new sim which will compete with MSFS. But LM still have an agreement with Microsoft. The agreement between DTG and LM implies that Microsoft will now control all the sim market...minus Xbox.com domain wich was sold to DTG.

Perhaps MS has an "FSX Super" cooking that they will offer for free as gesture of goodwill?

It is, after all, their flagship flight simulator. The simulator P3D was born from and the mother of all good things we now enjoy in FSX and P3D.

They do sound sincere like nothing you'd ever hear from a corporation.

FSX can be made to look fantastic even to this day, even as good a P3D, if not better even though P3D is a far more stable and refined platform.

Here's what my current install of FSX looks like.

panpjky.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HighTowers said:

FSX is not mainstream anymore. 

1 hour ago, Baber20 said:

Meh...who cares about FSX ?

To be fair, I think the 3000+ people using just the Steam version of FSX every day would disagree with you (far more than use DCS): https://steamcharts.com/cmp/314160,223750 - and there are probably significantly more than that using the boxed edition. I'm looking forward to the new sim but FSX is far from dead, in spite of the years of gloomy predictions.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I'm looking forward to the new sim but FSX is far from dead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

If MS wants to talk about FSX plans, they should run a different domain and website for that. 

This is honestly the first thing they have done that is making me concerned about what the plan really is for MSFS 2020

• Like 6

Everybody on this forum, including me, has been calling the new sim MSFS2020. Microsoft has not mentioned nor confirmed this name for the new sim. Perhaps the new sim, "MSFS2020," is actually being called "FSX" by Microsoft because the name has a long-honored history within the gaming community. If, for example, Adobe were coming out with a new edition of PhotoShop, they would still call it PhotoShop because of the brand recognition. They wouldn't rename it "Fred's Graphics Editor."

I must say that I shared the disappointment today when I read Microsoft's "update." The previous updates weren't posted until the evening hours, so maybe the main show hasn't yet occurred and we'll learn more in the coming hours. I hope so. Otherwise, today's announcement was ambiguous and a total BUZZ KILL. Hundreds of people who were eagerly waiting for today's news got nothing but a feeling of grave disappointment.

Edited by David Mills
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

Meh, other than building from rather than building on. 

The ground work has already been done so why reinvent the wheel? Adding and refining could only be a good thing, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aleex said:

Well, FSX comes back to MS, nice. But a little explanation about what does that mean for the current sim could have been good. Even what does that mean in general. Today. No in a couple of weeks. It could fit in no longer than a paragraph 

I totally agree with that. FSX is still very important for me, because I use it for missions and general learning. I don't understand the meaning of this announcement.

• Like 1

i9-9900K / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 2070 8 GB / W10 64

It seems clear that MS reads these forums.

If that is true, and you are watching, please clarify for us what the FSX news does or does not actually mean.

You are scaring some of us that were ready for the future and to ditch the past completely. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1