Sign in to follow this  
Guest Surge

FSX wish list

1. Added ATC IFR functionality to reflect more/all conditions...including holds.2. DPs/STARs database and ability to keep them uptodate. and the Local GPS to reflect Arrivals/Departures.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Mike,I think I might have an answer to that. In my experience, landings are a "different beast" as far as the AI aircraft are concerned. They don't seem to use their own flight dynamics (or at least most of them) when on final approach (unlike the rest of the flight). They must use some type of hard coded landing routine. I assume this was added in FS2004 to correct the sometimes bizarre landing behavior you saw in FS2002. For example, most prop airliners (Connies, etc.) have a nose down attitude when on approach. But when I use those flight dynamics for an AI aircraft, it has the same nose up attitude that all large aircraft have. I cannot change the flight dynamics to fix it, either. I *could* fix this in FS2002.So I assume this hard coded landing routine ignores winds (for greater reliability) and thus there is no crabbing.BTW, one thing that IS used on approach is the empty weight of the plane - it appears to determine the approach speed.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest tdragger

Hmmm, almost. In fact the AI pilots do fly the aircraft all the way to the runway using the real aerodynamics. We had great fun during the FS2002 development process watching the early progress. I recall one night watching an AI pilot land off the runway and then lock his brakes and go skidding, wheels spewing smoke, across the field. What fun! I wish we'd had FRAPS back then.Anyway, the answer to the quiz is that the sim simply neutralizes the crosswind component of the wind vector for AI aircraft. Now, if I could only have something like that in real life! My most harrowing landing back when I owned my Maule (tailwheel, of course) was landing at Butte, Montana on runway 29. Winds were 260 @ 17 gusting to 28. Yikes!

Tom,I wish a day comes when I will be worrying about AI aircraft not crabbing into the wind or using incorrect flare techniques. Perhaps this will also be the day when scenery will be so perfect that I will be looking for birds through the cockpit windows ;) At this point I would be perfectly happy with seeing AI correctly spaced for landings and not doing really *silly* things after they touched down. Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest Surge

I'd be really happy if the FS dev team fix and enhance what is already in FS2004. Adding new features adds a couple of hours of "wow" factor but then the old bugs keep nagging you.I'll try keep this short.Fix 1 :I'd love it if the ATC system was fixed a bit. Having three 737-400's on approach to a single runway with less than 1 mile spacing between them looks a bit silly not to mention clearing a 172 for landing 6 miles out with a jet 2 miles behind him. I don't have to guess who's going to make it to the runway first. :)I've had ATC vector me for an ILS approach and pass me over to tower so far out that I can't even pick up the localizer! I was handed over about 60nm out and must have done nearly 100nm of excess flying just to land.Fix 2 :Better ground controller logic. The biggest problem seems to be that the aircaft vacate the runway as soon as possible and then get stuck because of all the outbound traffic using the taxiway. It needs some "taxi to the end of runway and vacate to the left/right" type logic. Also I've had several headons with other traffic and the AI just taxies straight over me even though we're both following ground controller orders. I do regcognise that this is a tough one to solve.Fix 3 :AI need to be affected by density altitude. Try to chase an AI aircraft with the same type of aircraft and you'll see what I mean.I've yet to see a real life 737 climb at +-4000 fpm to FL340 fully loaded.Fix 4 :The batteries drain way too fast. With only the radio stack on, it should take many hours to drain the battery not the 15 minutes or whatever it is at the moment.Enhancement 1 :Make the Garmin GPS units more functional. I find it very annoying to have to stop my flight and file a new flightplan just to insert or add a waypoint enroute. This often happens when flying on IVAO/VATSIM and you get a new routing from ATC.Enhancement 2 :A random weather generator for us "offline" pilots would be very nice.Yes, I know there are addons but they cost too much to justify the feature. Either that or a way to set the weather at departure and destination without having to spend 30 minutes setting the weather for dozens of individual weather stations.PaulP.S. I love sitting and listening and watching ATC and AI traffic at airports. It's the aviation equivalent of an electric train set.