Sign in to follow this  
Bulva

Sorry, .... ... monitor 27" (request for help)

I changed the monitor a few days ago to a monitor with G-Sync function.
But it's broken and I can get a refund.
And that's why I am asking for help.
- I need a 27 "monitor (it can't be bigger !!!)
- definitely G-Sync (I checked and it makes a big difference)

My question is basically about resolution.

Is HD (1920x1080) or QHD (2560 x 1440) ???

Does buying QHD with 27 "make sense ???
Can you see the difference in image quality in XP ???
And won't it lower FPS in XP ???

Just the difference in price between HD and QHD is significant, so I wonder if it's worth it: if the QHD image quality will be much better than HD ??? (4K I do not consider because of the price and size 27").

I am asking for help, because I have to make a decision quickly.

(i7 8700K (4,4 GHz); GTX 1080Ti; 32RAM (3000) )

In a nutshell and generally speaking (not about XP in particular)...27" to 32" are the ideal sizes for QHD. Yes, there will be a large difference in detail compared to HD 1080p. nVidia have loosened their grip on GSync so a Freesync monitor should also work just fine and you will save money in the process. Due diligence though. Another point to consider is the refresh rate. The higher it is the better it is but it also means a price hike. It's all a balancing act so make your choice carefully because, in the end, you are the one who is going to live with it.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Dzięki. Myślę o tym konkretnie: Aoc Agon AG271QG.

And going back to X-Plane, will I have a significant decrease in performance with QHD versus HD?

Edited by Bulva

Your 1080ti should be more than enough for QHD. As speedyTC said, g-sync is a waste of money today, get a freesync one.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

57 minutes ago, Murmur said:

g-sync is a waste of money today, get a freesync one.

But check first that the model you get is definitely compatible as not all models are.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 8/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, Murmur said:

Your 1080ti should be more than enough for QHD. As speedyTC said, g-sync is a waste of money today, get a freesync one.

A 1080Ti can run UHD and still have plenty in reserve. Really anything other than UHD is a waste for that card. Bit like running a Ferrari and never getting it out of second gear.

The OP should seriously consider a UHD display. I don’t understand the need for GSYNC. My BenQ doesn’t have it and the image is fine.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 16 August 2019 at 10:08 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don’t understand the need for GSYNC. My BenQ doesn’t have it and the image is fine.

I think it depends what else you're doing with it. First person shooters running at high FPS really benefit from something like GSync. Now that many FreeSync monitors are compatible, it's almost a no-brainer to get one as the prices are not too much higher than a standard monitor.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

44 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

I think it depends what else you're doing with it. First person shooters running at high FPS really benefit from something like GSync. Now that many FreeSync monitors are compatible, it's almost a no-brainer to get one as the prices are not too much higher than a standard monitor.

Understood, thanks. I only use my monitor for P3D.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I return to the topic again. 🙂
I am currently testing such a monitor: AOC AGON AG271QG. (2560x1440 @ 144Hz; G-Sync)
Everything, except XP, is more beautiful and better than full HD.
In XP, it's not that great anymore. 😞
The image is noticeably better (especially the cockpit indicators are clearer), but:
- FPS dropped significantly (I have setting sliders on the right, just like I had at 1080p)
- changing the AA settings from 8x SSAA + FXAA to 4x SSAA + FXAA helps a little the situation with FPS, but the XP still looks better with the AA 8x setting.
I still have some time to think about and possibly return the monitor, and I'm wondering whether or not to return to the 1920x1080 resolution. ???
On the other hand, it's a pity, because working with this monitor (except XP) is very pleasant.
Or maybe leave the monitor and wait for the "miracle" that will make Vulcan ??? 😉