Sign in to follow this  
Guest SpectroPro

Seperate VC models

My little hope for FSX on top of the many already posted that I agree with is that the VC models can be seperate. In the same way panels, sounds and the visual models are. I'd like to see the VC as a seperate model you can alias to other aircraft. I think that would be very useful, I'm sure I'm not alone with that thought.David G

Good idea! That would be cool. Especially because there are many nice freeware models out there but the developers dont have time to create a deatiled VC. I have never tried any addon without a VC for FS9, even though many models look nice.

Guest tdragger

I know there are changes afoot in the model pipeline but even if I understood them, I couldn't say what they were. Stay tuned.

Guest sbauwens

It would be nice if the aircraft model itself were separate too! I mean seperate from the aircraft it's simulating. In fs9 it is possible to have different models of the same aircraft. But every model has to have its own panel, texture, sounds and VC (maybe also seperate from the model as asked in the question above). So when I install a complete B737-400 with VC, sounds, detailed panel etc with American Airlines texture and then I download a freeware B737-400 (the same aircraft but a different model) with British Airlines texture but no VC, it's difficult to use the BA texture in the better model with VC. If the .air file were seperate from the model name (B737-400) and the textures, sounds, panels were bind to the model name and not to the .air file, then I could only have one B737-400 with many model-files (.air files) and different panels, sounds, textures, vc's, ... In this case all the downloaded textures would work on this same aircraft.jeez this sounds very complicated when I read it back. Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain...

You can already reference a panel installed with another aircraft.Same with sounds.Textures are bound to the model, there is no way around this.Airfiles need to be in the same directory as the aircraft.cfg, apart from that they are not bound to the model.

Hi.If the VCs cannot be attached / removed from plane to plane, at least the ability to detach the VC from the forward / scenery view should be attempted / implemented. As it is right now, unless someone else knows a way around it, you cannot run the VC in one screen / window and the scenery in another ala 2D. This limits the use of the VC mode with the projector setup. By being able to use scenery / forward view, in a separate window you could use a rear projection for it and have the panel overlap the area where it resides presently. Basically all it would take is to be able to run, in full screen, the forward view, like the Wide mode, and the panel only in a separate window to fill the screen / monitor. The ability to run on a multiple screens / computers, like Wideview, and or stretch the active window over multiple monitors, like the Matrox cards, could also be of great help. The price of the projectors is getting a lot more reasonable, and the immersion factor / speed sensation, can be greatly increased by a large display.Another feature that would help is the ability to have the Runway environment remain a 1 to 1 / wider, even when the .6 Zoom rate is chosen. Maybe this can be implemented gradually only when you are at a certain altitude / distance from the runway. As it is presently the runways get very narrow at .6 Zoom and difficult to land on.I hope this is not clear as mud? TV

Hi,You can already use multiple AIR files, MDL files, textures, and almost everything else (except the aircraft.cfg file) within a single folder.They are all specified in the top section of the plane's aircraft.cfg file:The sim= line specifies the AIR file (the flight dynamics not otherwise contained in the aircraft.cfg file)The model= line specifies the folder extension of the MODEL folder (visual model)The texture= line specifies the folder extension of the TEXTURE folder (textures).Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest tdragger

<>Well, sure, that's true--assuming we don't change the FS9 code.

Guest cimanera

VC separation is a great idea. This way we can get some highly detailed payware/freeware VC to run with some of the great aircraft models out there sinces all the development resources could be focused on that one aspect of the aircraft, just like it is currently done with 2D. For the people only fly aircraft with VC and this would greatly increase their choices.

Guest sbauwens

and in which file is the vc?

Hi,In FS2004 the VC is in the MDL file. This post is asking to separate it into a separate MDL file, so they can be mixed and matched. Great idea.One logical way would be to have a VC folder added to the plane's folder, and a VC= line added to each livery of the aircraft.cfg file. Then you could also specify which livery would use which VC. This could be used for earlier airliners that had different gauge arrangements for each airline, although I don't know who would go to that extreme. Perhaps more useful for GA aircraft with differing avionics packages, etc.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

of course. But you're not going to be able to do what I heard someone else demand which is make it so any texture can work on any model (so that he can use his PSS model with say a PMDG texture).That would require all models to have the exact same texture size and layout, which effectively requires a closed architecture in which it's impossible to add models ;)

WHAT, $25 for JUST the VC?I'm NEVER going to pay THAT MUCH MONEY!!!!!My VC model from XXXX does't fit seemlessly with the aircraft model from YYYYY and the gauges from ZZZZZ, this thing SUX BIGTIME!!!!!That's what we're going to hear a lot in the forums though, even more complaints.

Guest sbauwens

tnx! now I understand a lot more of the aircraft structure. My question about using textures on different models is indeed impossible. But a completely independent VC is difficult too because I understand that some panels interact with flight dynamics. ie the panels of www.baepanelproject.com need to replace the air file of the aircraft.

Guest SpectroPro

"Another feature that would help is the ability to have the Runway environment remain a 1 to 1 / wider, even when the .6 Zoom rate is chosen. Maybe this can be implemented gradually only when you are at a certain altitude / distance from the runway. As it is presently the runways get very narrow at .6 Zoom and difficult to land on."I would totally agree with this one.. I usually fly my VC's at .7-.6 and you are right, if the outside would remain at 1:1, that would make life so much better. I do very much like the idea of seperate vc's as well. I don't fly any aircraft with out one, and I gotta say, that means I don't get to fly a ton of GREAT aircraft....There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't!***************************************Gregory D. Swagler, PresidentFlight Simulator Design UniversityKHAO - Hamilton, Ohio USA (Cincinnati)