Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

I've lost my ATC ILS approaches

I hope that someone can help. Just recently and I prepare to land at my destination but all the airports I have tried only offer me visual approaches. The ILS approach frequencies are correct and work fine but only the visual approaches are given as option by the inbuilt ATC. I suspect that it may have something to do with my scenery config file but that is just a guess. I have had to make changes in the config file order due to a ORBX update. Can anybody point me in the right direction to investigate/fix? 

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

If I recall, it’s been a while since I’ve used FSX ATC, I think the ATC only offers ILS approaches if you’ve filed an IFR flight plan. If not, ATC will only give visual approaches.

If you’ve files an IFR plan and are still not getting the approaches it could be because the AFCAD doesn’t have the approaches built in. You can check to see by opening the AFCAD in ADE. I believe you can import the stock approaches and recompile the AFCAD or write your own approaches into it like some advanced users do.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Although Fsx ifr flying is painfull, lol. 

I think cmpbellsjc is right.

you can get your clearance, take off, and when passed on to the next controller, dont contact them.

make contact nearer to your destination to get ifr landing clearance.

If you do stay in contact your sent on a zig-zag route all the way to destination, not contacting them, you can fly your plan much more closer and much more direct.

Luke Pype

I think that I should clarify my problem. I have ben flying a stable FSX for years and never had a problem with ILS approaches given by  the FSX program. Just recently I have stopped getting ILS approaches and jut been offered VFR approaches although I can tune the ILS frequencies and do an ILS approach without problem. However, I am no longer being given the Options to choose an ILS approach from the ATC system. The system has somehow changed but I have no idea where to look to find the culprit. It seems to me that the scenery config file contains sceneries that include radio frequencies updates etc. I though that someone would be able to tell me how the ATC system works after all ILS frequencies and bearing do change which means that FSX must look for the ILS frequencies when I approach an Airport but I have no idea where FSX looks to find the ILS information for an airport. One would assume the Airport BGL file but although my BGLS have the ILS frequencies properly recorded in the airport BGL files FSX is not "seeing" those ILS frequencies. 

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

32 minutes ago, yellowjack said:

I have no idea where FSX looks to find the ILS information for an airport. One would assume the Airport BGL file but although my BGLS have the ILS frequencies properly recorded in the airport BGL files FSX is not "seeing" those ILS frequencies. 

The ILS frequencies and headings are built into the airports AFCAD. You can open one with ADE and see what the frequencies are as well as the headings.

The approaches are also built into the AFCAD under the approaches section.

Its possible that your aircraft can still use and track the ILS from the airport despite the ATC not giving you the approaches. I’ve seen this at Baku from DD sceneries. The ILS work fine but their AFCAD doesn’t have any approaches built into it, so basically you can only get visual approaches.

I guess the best thing to do would be to retrace your steps of any changes you made to FSX from the time it worked correct until the time it stoped working. 

Aside from what I’ve already mentioned from needing to file an IFR flight plan and how the approaches and ILS frequencies/headings are built into the AFCADs, I don’t know anything else to suggest.

Does this happen at all airports or only some that you get visual only approaches?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Funny you should mention that, Some of the Airports ATC still  ILS approaches some don't. I run Active Sky and had the thought that what I am seeing is somehow weather related but on balance I don't think so. My last flight was to KMSY and I was  given an ILS approach by the TAC no problem. I've checked some airports with AFX (greatest simple on the spot airfield editor ever made) and everything looks fine. I'll keep looking and report back if I find the cause. 

John