Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan_006

Any info on improved night lighting?

Guest cschmokel

Hey everyone,Does anyone know if there are plans to improve night lighting? That was the only major gripe I had about FS2004 (and the UT night lights eased those gripes a bit). I think what is needed is something along the lines of what UT offers, except with much, much longer draw distances and a more realistic point light bitmap .. perhaps even a user-adjustable twinkling effect for lights drawn well in advance of autogen scenery to mimick occlusion. Oh, landing lights which actually illuminate the ground instead of a matte would be great, too. Any way it pans out, based on the screenshots this will be one heck of an upgrade!Carl

and maybe better effects that dont flash when clouds go infront of them!Looking at a few of the FSX shots, I noticed the landing and taxi light look an almost exact copy of FS9

Guest Fjorko

And where did you see night shots of FSX ?

Personally I think there will always be a fundamental problem with the night lighting that will never be solved - namely the fact there is not enough luminosity in your monitor (the maximum that your mintor can do is paint a pixel "white"). Point lights only look good when their intensity is highly amplified in relation to adjacent pixels - the effect that can't be duplicated on monitor whether CRT or LCD. Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Either way..the night lighting in FS9 has much room for improvement in FSX.

Eric 

Guest tdragger

<>Actually this is one possible use for HDR lighting techniques. Stay tuned.

Guest PC509

><amplified in relation to adjacent pixels - the effect that>can't be duplicated on monitor whether CRT or LCD. >>>>Actually this is one possible use for HDR lighting techniques.>Stay tuned. Don't go overboard on the HDR lighting. Too many games are over-using it and it looks like crap. More of a tech-demo showing it off than a "feature". I'm glad that MS is using all these advanced features, though. It makes it that much better!

Hi, Carl and everyone.A good way to get better night / ground lighting with FS it to use the combination of modified road texture and the roads data files. This may be of some help to MS. If they implement the roads with lit textures they may be able to eliminate the special night textures / landclass needs, in most areas. Try this combo and see what you think. TVLitroads.zip / bright highways (AVSIM). Note: DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1 //Must use with

Guest christian

Mike, isn't it 'bloom' rather than HDR speaking technically? Bloom can be done in 16bit colours. HDR bloom looks better though and I'd really like to see it in FSX.Cheers,Christian

Guest cschmokel

><amplified in relation to adjacent pixels - the effect that>can't be duplicated on monitor whether CRT or LCD. >>>>Actually this is one possible use for HDR lighting techniques.>Stay tuned. Sounds like you guys are on top of it, then. Hooah!

Guest tdragger

>Mike, isn't it 'bloom' rather than HDR speaking technically?>Bloom can be done in 16bit colours. HDR bloom looks better>though and I'd really like to see it in FSX.>>Cheers,>Christian>HDR is a better approach when you want the illusion of lighting affecting other objects in the environment.

Not too big of a deal but I'd like to see lights other than landing/taxi lights being reflected onto the ground. Last year I arrived to San Jose on a 737, and one thing that really stood out on that landing was the way the strobes and beacons really lit up the ground immediately below them. Just a thought :)